Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checking baggage through on separate UA operated reservations...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It is possible to interline bags for no extra costs when on separate tickets, when both tickets are for UA flights.
However, for some agents, this can be a challenging task, so allow extra time at check-in (30 minutes extra?). The agent may need to consult the "Help Desk."

Recent reports suggest this may not be possible if one ticket is Basic Economy, no free checked bags, ticket

related thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
Print Wikipost

Checking baggage through on separate UA operated reservations...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2023, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gruimed
Thanks for the answer. Both flights are UA (UA 609 from CLE to ORD and UA 140 ORD to TLV), with 2.5 hours connection. Guess I should be fine then?
Yes, allow about 15 minutes extra to check bag(s). You’ll have to work with a UA agent at the bag check-in area, not a bag-handling contractor.
SPN Lifer, wbatl1 and VRFast like this.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yes, allow about 15 minutes extra to check bag(s)
I'd up that to 30 minutes extra. It can take much longer that you would expect. I've very nearly missed an important international trip because of this very issue. Normal checking-in with bags can be very fast. Through-checking UA to UA takes a lot longer. A lot.

It turns out that checking bags on two UA tickets is harder than checking bags on separate UA and non-UA tickets from the agent's perspective. What would seem to be easy for us as passengers is actually quite involved, as a phantom booking needs to be made for the luggage to be able to cross tickets. I believe (and hope to be corrected if I'm mistaken!) that if any leg is oversold the process becomes next to impossible.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jpezaris
I believe (and hope to be corrected if I'm mistaken!) that if any leg is oversold the process becomes next to impossible.
If any flight is no longer for sale in the relevant cabin, it becomes extra difficult. Oversold isn't actually the problem -- it's whether or not they are still selling tickets. If they are not, then the agent likely needs to get the help desk involved to force open space on the segment, because SHARES will not allow the phantom booking to be created if there are no seats for sale.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by gruimed
How likely it is that United will agree to check in my baggage all the way to the final destination with two separate business class tickets?
Yes, I have done this many times with UA. I have been told as long as it's less than four hours in between the two flights that they can do it. My experience was domestic to international on separate UA tickets.

Originally Posted by jsloan
If any flight is no longer for sale in the relevant cabin, it becomes extra difficult. Oversold isn't actually the problem -- it's whether or not they are still selling tickets. If they are not, then the agent likely needs to get the help desk involved to force open space on the segment, because SHARES will not allow the phantom booking to be created if there are no seats for sale.
Yes, this. Good points to make.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 5, 2023 at 7:36 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 5, 2023, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by MHively
Yes, I have done this many times with UA. I have been told as long as it's less than four hours in between the two flights that they can do it. My experience was domestic to international on separate UA tickets.
This is interesting. I've asked for this exact thing at LAX, in the Premier Luggage Line, and been denied. Another time, the same thing at ORD. Maybe I didn't ask it correctly.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingM
This is interesting. I've asked for this exact thing at LAX, in the Premier Luggage Line, and been denied. Another time, the same thing at ORD. Maybe I didn't ask it correctly.
Crazy that you were denied at LAX and ORD. I had did it multiple times at SAT without any issues at all, also in the Premier Line. I just gave the agent both my confirmation numbers and they did their magic. One time the agent asked why I booked it as two tickets, but I just said because I never knew where I would need to depart due to work and it was easier to book the international ticket first and domestic separately later on. In reality, it was because I got it cheaper booking it that way.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
It also becomes problematic if the domestic segment is in BE and the international segment is a regular fare - policy is not to check bags through in this situation, I think. Obviously, if they are both premium tickets, that particular thing is not an issue.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 7:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MHively
... I have been told as long as it's less than four hours in between the two flights that they can do it. .....
The constraints are the time between flights must meet MCT and not be longer than 12 hours or overnight.
And neither is a BE flight.

UA-UA can be more difficult for an agent is the second flight is sold out in the cabin. UA-partner does not have that barrier.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and DiamondMile like this.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 8:46 am

I'm flying from the US to YYZ on one 016 UA ticket, connecting to a separate 016 UA ticket YYZ-ZRH-BUD on AC/LX respectively.
Can I check my baggage at my US departure airport all the way to BUD?

I think the answer is yes based on UA's website, but I feel like I need social proof that this is possible.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 11:41 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by scalar
I'm flying from the US to YYZ on one 016 UA ticket, connecting to a separate 016 UA ticket YYZ-ZRH-BUD on AC/LX respectively.
Can I check my baggage at my US departure airport all the way to BUD?

I think the answer is yes based on UA's website, ...
Yes, if connection is not overnight and less than 12 hours.

Allow extra time at check in -- at least 15 minutes if not more as if one of the UA flights is sold out, this is a complicate process. Agent may need assistance.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 5, 2023 at 11:52 am
Old Nov 11, 2023, 8:21 am

I just faced this issue checking in this morning at IAH. My bookings are IAH-LAX / LAX-SYD. Neither are basic economy tickets

i asked the agent is it possible to check my bag through to SYD and she said no. I was like, even if it’s on another United reservation? Even if it’s same day? Still no. She even gave me the line of “you shouldn’t have booked separate tickets”. Fair, but it was $1,000 cheaper to do it this way so until they get their pricing from IAH to Sydney in line with departing from AUS, PHX, or LAX then I guess I’ll continue to do this.

Anyways, they sent me to another line to check the bag where I asked the agent there the same set of questions and got the same answers.

luckily my break in LA is 6 hours (intentionally long) so I have time to get my bag. But judging by reading through this thread it seems like the answer I got was really that they just didn’t want to do it instead of that it isn’t possible.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by david_oz
But judging by reading through this thread it seems like the answer I got was really that they just didn’t want to do it instead of that it isn’t possible.
Exactly. It is UA policy to check through; they only require recheck if you're not connecting to a *A carrier:

For most trips that include a connection, your checked bags will follow you to the last stop on your ticket. You'll need to go to baggage claim and re-check your bags if:

You have a layover
You make a connection that involves an overnight stay
Your connecting flight departs more than 12 hours after you arrive at the airport
You’re connecting to a trip on a separate ticket and the flight is not with a Star Alliance™ partner airline
You’re traveling internationally but connecting to a domestic flight in your destination country
I'm not sure how you get this fixed at the counter these days when you encounter deliberately poor UA service. Asking for a supervisor is likely to involve a long delay and may not work at all.

Unfortunately, "don't care" is a default UA attitude these days.
SPN Lifer and Boraxo like this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...i asked the agent is it possible to check my bag through to SYD and she said no....
If you went to 1K check-in and talked to a UA agent (and not one of the luggage-handling contractors), that's complete BS.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I just faced this issue checking in this morning at IAH. My bookings are IAH-LAX / LAX-SYD. Neither are basic economy tickets
I hope you wrote down the names and you will complain to 1K voice. UA needs to sort out these bad apples ...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 12:33 pm

It was terminal B so all the bag drops are basically in the same place. Honestly I would have pushed harder but with a 6 hour layover in LA, I didn’t care that much.

maybe I will make a complaint later on

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.