Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checking baggage through on separate UA operated reservations...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It is possible to interline bags for no extra costs when on separate tickets, when both tickets are for UA flights.
However, for some agents, this can be a challenging task, so allow extra time at check-in (30 minutes extra?). The agent may need to consult the "Help Desk."

Recent reports suggest this may not be possible if one ticket is Basic Economy, no free checked bags, ticket

related thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
Print Wikipost

Checking baggage through on separate UA operated reservations...

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2022, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Yes, you can check them through. Allow 15 minutes extra for inexperienced agent risk.
Old May 12, 2022, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ITakeTheShipInstead

TUS to SFO on a CRJ200,
Condolences
Old May 12, 2022, 7:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, ITakeTheShipInstead

Yes, this can be done and is very much allowed-- its a little tricky if the agent has not done this before. Allow 20+ extra minutes and perhaps if they seem to be struggling is to mention once in the past the agent called the HelpDesk

BTW, you should get the business class bag allowance the whole way.
Old May 12, 2022, 7:13 pm

Thank you
Since we have several months before this flight, is there anyway to have United do it now so when we go to the airport it’s already consolidated into one reservation?
Old May 12, 2022, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ITakeTheShipInstead
Thank you
Since we have several months before this flight, is there anyway to have United do it now so when we go to the airport it’s already consolidated into one reservation?
It is not possible to combine reservations, but you can chek thru bags across two reservations. That can only be done day of travel.
Old May 12, 2022, 7:49 pm

Gotcha
Thanks for the help.
Old May 30, 2022, 7:06 am

Question about multicity tickets

If my family and I book a United flight with the first leg on United using Aeroplan and another on United using United/Singapore/LifeMiles, will we be able to connect to two bookings so we can check our luggage all the way through?

This would be Kona, Hawaii to either Newark or Dulles with a layover in SFO or LAX.
Old May 30, 2022, 7:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
It doesnt matter how you pay for your ticket.
If you have both UA BP, you can show the agent and they can connect it when you check the bag.
the reservations will remain separate
Epinz300 likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by eng3
It doesnt matter how you pay for your ticket.
If you have both UA BP, you can show the agent and they can connect it when you check the bag.
the reservations will remain separate
And would only have to pay one checked bag fee?
Old May 30, 2022, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I've never paid a check bag fee before so I'm not sure. I would presume only one.
Old May 30, 2022, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Epinz300
If my family and I book a United flight with the first leg on United using Aeroplan and another on United using United/Singapore/LifeMiles, will we be able to connect to two bookings so we can check our luggage all the way through? ....
Yes, this is allowed. However, this can take some time and if there are multiple different sets of PNRs/tickets -- allow at least 20 minutes for each. If checking in at a small airport the agent may have never done this before and may need to seek help.

Oddly an UA-UA interlining can be multiple difficult for the agent than an UA to partner interline.

Originally Posted by Epinz300
And would only have to pay one checked bag fee?
Yes
Old Aug 8, 2022, 3:10 pm

Programs: none
I booked two separate tickets both with United. ONT-SFO and SFO-FRA. Does anyone know if its possible to check in for my SFO flight in ONT and also have my luggage checked through to FRA so I don't have recheck it in SFO ? thank you
Old Aug 8, 2022, 3:13 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by den221
I booked two separate tickets both with United. ONT-SFO and SFO-FRA. Does anyone know if its possible to check in for my SFO flight in ONT and also have my luggage checked through to FRA so I don't have recheck it in SFO ? thank you
Yes and yes.
den221 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by den221
I booked two separate tickets both with United. ONT-SFO and SFO-FRA. Does anyone know if its possible to check in for my SFO flight in ONT and also have my luggage checked through to FRA so I don't have recheck it in SFO ?
Yes, with a few conditions
-- neither ticket is Basic Economy
-- the time break in SFO is under 12 hours and not overnight

Do allow extra time at ONT bag check, it can take 5 to 20 minutes depending on the agents familiarity with the process
SPN Lifer and den221 like this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 5:56 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, with a few conditions
-- neither ticket is Basic Economy
-- the time break in SFO is under 12 hours and not overnight

Do allow extra time at ONT bag check, it can take 5 to 20 minutes depending on the agents familiarity with the process
i arrived at ONT early there were 3 agents behind the counter and one was as clueless as the other, so
had to check in the regular way and check in again at SFO, wasnt the worst experience however the request itself seems to simple yet all of them had no idea how to do it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.