Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checking baggage through on separate UA operated reservations...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It is possible to interline bags for no extra costs when on separate tickets, when both tickets are for UA flights.
However, for some agents, this can be a challenging task, so allow extra time at check-in (30 minutes extra?). The agent may need to consult the "Help Desk."

Recent reports suggest this may not be possible if one ticket is Basic Economy, no free checked bags, ticket

related thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
Print Wikipost

Checking baggage through on separate UA operated reservations...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2021, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Will arrive EWR from Europe on *A (Austrian) and then recheck bag for domestic United flight on SEPARATE ticket after customs.

Two questions

1) Would Austrian at checkin in Vienna likely agree to check my bag through to final destination even if I have two separate tickets?

2) If not, is it possible to check the bag with United after customs or would I need to exit and go to United checkin at Newark to check the bag for my final domestic leg?

Both are on UA ticket stock (016) if that makes a difference.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 1:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lotemblizej
Will arrive EWR from Europe on *A (Austrian) and then recheck bag for domestic United flight on SEPARATE ticket after customs.

Two questions

1) Would Austrian at checkin in Vienna likely agree to check my bag through to final destination even if I have two separate tickets? ...
That is an OS question but many *A partners will do that. UA has no influence in the outcome (even as a 016 ticket)

Originally Posted by lotemblizej
2) If not, is it possible to check the bag with United after customs or would I need to exit and go to United checkin at Newark to check the bag for my final domestic leg? ....
They could but reports generally are they don't. You can try.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 7:36 pm

Luggage going from coach to a Business Overseas flight

I am flying Economy using miles on a flight from CHS to EWR. I have a follow on flight separate booking in business from EWR to BCN the same day. The connection is around 2.5 hours.

Will CHS tag my luggage all the way to BCN? Since the EWR to BCN leg luggage allowance is 4 free bags, can I check all 4 bags in CHS without having to pay extra baggage fees from CHS to EWR? How do I link the two flight to get the extra luggage allowance?
Old Oct 19, 2021, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Wine-O
I am flying Economy using miles on a flight from CHS to EWR. I have a follow on flight separate booking in business from EWR to BCN the same day. The connection is around 2.5 hours.

Will CHS tag my luggage all the way to BCN? Since the EWR to BCN leg luggage allowance is 4 free bags, can I check all 4 bags in CHS without having to pay extra baggage fees from CHS to EWR? How do I link the two flight to get the extra luggage allowance?
Not sure how you get 4 free bags (if flying solo), unless you're thinking premier/credit card benefits are additive (they are not). You'll have to get a UA rep at the counter (not a contract bag handler) to check the bags through. If the agent doesn't have familiarity with the process, it can definitely take some time. I'd allow an extra 20 minutes (min) to be safe. And you should get the higher bag allowance - but maybe not 4 (unless you're counting bags between two travelers).

My longest experience was HNL-SFO-LHR on separate tickets. Agent messed with the computer for about 20 minutes before giving up and hand-writing the bag tag ala 1971 (she actually had to go into a back room to get a blank tag). The bag got where it was going, which was nice because it was about 40 degrees colder

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 19, 2021 at 8:24 pm
Old Oct 19, 2021, 8:58 pm

Yes, there are two of us for the 4 bags. LOL One or two bags may be over the 50 lb limit with liquids involved so I can't carry on. I was hoping I could get the 70 lb Business Class limit without penalty when checking in.

Thanks for your response. I'll just give it some extra time at check in so they can get it sorted out.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA GS, MR TE, HH Diamond, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Avis PC
Wine-O, below is my previous experience with this. TLDR for originating airport, hub yes, non-hub maybe. This was from 2 years ago, so there may have been improvements, YMMV.

Originally Posted by pigzilla
I just went through this process RT and can share what happened. I had 2 separate PNRs, one for EWR-SFO-EWR, and one for SFO-AKL-SFO. On the outgoing flight, the agent at the 1K check-in counter in EWR was able to route my bags through to AKL via SFO, however it took her about 15 minutes and she had to call someone to help get it done.

However on the return flight from AKL, the NZ Air checkin agents were unable to route my bag from AKL to EWR. Apparently United uses NZ Air agents to man their checkin counters (Premier) in AKL.I had to pickup the bag after immigration in SFO and recheck it in the transfer area in Terminal C. Not a big deal as I had about 1hr 45 min connection. But this follows the feedback from others on this thread that personnel at non UA hub airports or UA-partner airline agents wont be able to do this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 10:13 am

Programs: united
I just did one of these in Atlanta. The agent couldn't get the computer to do it and had to call the help desk who did it.

Definitely get to the airport early if you want this.
Old Feb 12, 2022, 7:09 pm
dgr

Two UA itineraries/bag check through

A few months ago I booked two seats on a BOS -> Denver biz class flight, planning to drive 3 hours to Vail getting in super late. Today, two seats on United/Skywest Denver -> Vail became available, and I quickly bought them so they weren't scooped by someone else, figuring I could combine the itineraries as I often have in the past on American and Delta (so that my checked bags will get checked through). I called United, and the first agent told me it was impossible and I needed to cancel all flights, rebook, and hope I didn't lose seats. I called back, and second agent told me that they can't combine the itineraries, but that United policy is that they will check bags through on separate United itineraries if both are on United. I asked her to double check, she did so, and said it's absolutely certain that this is their policy. FYI, the layover is one hour.

On this forum, I see posts from several years ago making clear that this isn't at all guaranteed because of system limitations. Of course, it could be that the agent is right and that the system has been improved.

I'm not in a position to take any risk on this. Does anyone know for sure if the agent was correct, and United will book baggage through on separate United itineraries, or if that is unreliable?
Old Feb 12, 2022, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Yes, it’s possible but be prepared to have to find a senior, well trained agent to do it at check-in. I posted on here a while back about how I did it.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26256757-post163.html
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2022, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
UA-UA is very easy. BOS is a good station for this. You won't have any issues checking your bags through. The premier counter staff at BOS knows what they are doing.
Old Feb 12, 2022, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Both agents were correct in their own way. You can’t combine separate bookings but UA will check through. I hope you have left sufficient time between these flights.
Old Feb 12, 2022, 8:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Checking bags between two separate UA ticket flights is standard policy , you may have misunderstood the earlier posts. Not all agents know how to do this but they can call their help desk for instructions -- allow 15-20 minutes worst case.

A few base conditions must be met
-- the connection must met the MCT but not be overnight or greater than 12 hours
-- neither ticket can be a Basic Economy ticket

And as stated, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-not-done.html
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 12, 2022 at 9:03 pm Reason: mct
Old Mar 22, 2022, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
My experience on check bag thru on separated tickets, both tickets are 016, all segments are operated by UA.

Outbound: XXX-EWR-NRT / NRT-GUM
XXX is a regional airport, the agent called help desk, after about 20 mins the agent told me it can't be done. She said both she and help desk agent have done this before but for some reason it doesn't work on my flights. She tagged my bag to NRT and ask me to find UA agent and ask them to get my bag and re-tag it to GUM.
Before boarding EWR-NRT, I was called by the gate agent, who claim I can't board the flight unless he sort my bag's situation out. I start getting nervous since the flight will leave in 30 mins. Fortunately after about 10 mins, he got a call and clear me to board. My bags arrive at GUM as expected, upon picking up the bags I found hand written bag tag with NRT-GUM and flight number on them, looks like the UA agent at EWR changed the bag tag destination from NRT to GUM in their system, and the ground agent added the hand written tag to my bags while doing unload scan at NRT.

Outbound: GUM-NRT / NRT-EWR-XXX
The agent at GUM is much more familiar with separated ticket, to my surprise the agent printed out bag tags for both tickets, then deleted the GUM-NRT bag tag from their system, cut the NRT destination portion of the GUM-NRT bag tag and glue it to the NRT-EWR-XXX tag. I've never seen this before, but after 20 hours my bags appear at EWR
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 1:03 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Two Separate PNR's Luggage Checked To Destination

I know this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find it via search. So I'm heading to HNL early April. I have 2 separate reservations, DEN - LAX and after 5+ hour wait, LAX - HNL. What is the trick to getting my luggage checked all the way to HNL from DEN again? I did it this way since I have family joining me on the LAX - HNL portion and it was a hell of a lot cheaper than booking myself DEN - HNL non-stop FC. Thanks!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 23, 2022 at 10:58 am Reason: moved to appropriate thread
Old May 12, 2022, 6:55 pm

Can I check bags thru on 2 different UAL Reservations

Both reservations are one-way

TUS to SFO on a CRJ200, so it’s economy (W).
No other class available on that flight.

Next flight is international: SFO to LHR Polaris (Z)

Both flights are UAL however the first flight is Skywest dba If that makes a difference.

names are the same on both tickets. Rather than having to collect bags from terminal F and bring them over and recheck them at terminal G I’m hoping I can just check them all the way through and not have to clear through security etc. a second time Reading old posts seem to indicate it can be done, it can’t be done, it depends upon the agent, might be easy might not be easy. I’m wondering if things have gotten better or not. Tucson being a small outpost where I’m originating might make it more difficult to?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.