Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checking baggage through on separate UA operated reservations...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It is possible to interline bags for no extra costs when on separate tickets, when both tickets are for UA flights.
However, for some agents, this can be a challenging task, so allow extra time at check-in (30 minutes extra?). The agent may need to consult the "Help Desk."

Recent reports suggest this may not be possible if one ticket is Basic Economy, no free checked bags, ticket

related thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
Print Wikipost

Checking baggage through on separate UA operated reservations...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks everyone.

So, I have the same problem. The international ticket does not have MR but the domestic does. I called and the 1K agent said she could not add MR to the international ticket (all UA).

I asked if she could remove the MR from the domestic. She said no problem and came back in 2 minutes.

The interesting thing is that my seat assignments were lost. I didn't think she would have to delete and add the segments back. Is it because she essentially deleted and added the passenger (and seat assignments are tied to passenger + segment)?

Also, the reservation now does not say MR but the receipt has not been refreshed. I know we had to e-mail to trigger a receipt refresh before but now I can't even find the e-mail receipt button???

At the airport....Do they add the dummy segment to the international PNR or the domestic? (It almost seems they would add to the domestic since they don't want to touch the international?) Would there be issues with PPBM?

Thanks.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by username
.... I know we had to e-mail to trigger a receipt refresh before but now I can't even find the e-mail receipt button???...
Should be able to find it where it always has been --- "Manage Reservations"

.... Would there be issues with PPBM? ...
First, PPBM is generally misunderstood. But in essence, it just means you can not route your bags different than your travel routing (but the airlines can) and does not apply to domestic flights (although airlines aviod it for other reasons)

Second, there is nothing about this process that would separate yourself from your bags, so PPBM does not enter into the discussion.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 8, 2018 at 11:40 pm Reason: PPBM link
Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At the airport....Do they add the dummy segment to the international PNR or the domestic? (It almost seems they would add to the domestic since they don't want to touch the international?)
They add the dummy segment(s) to the PNR departing the city you're currently in. Domestic or international is irrelevant; neither is more difficult to touch.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:43 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by jsloan
They add the dummy segment(s) to the PNR departing the city you're currently in. Domestic or international is irrelevant; neither is more difficult to touch.
What jsloan said. It can take a while to do while they work out how to do it (my latest experience lasted 20 minutes). Often the agent does not know to add dummy segments, let alone how to do that, in which case ask them to call the Help Desk.

This last time, I said to the agent, "Sorry it's such a problem to do that in SHARES." "Oh," she said, "you know about SHARES, do you?" "Enough to know it's a real pain for stuff like this," I responded.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, agent did it in like 2 minutes! She said she is from the CO side so she knows how to do it really well. She did mention the example of MR vs no MR would cause problems that most agents would not know how to fix.

Oh, and she wrote the sequence number of my 2nd flight on the tag. United app now shows my bag getting rerouted to the final destination.

Last edited by username; Nov 17, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
When there are 2 separate domestic flight PNRs, are they able to check through without you having to pay for checked bags twice? Anyone have any experiences with specifically that? The layover between PNRs is also not at a hub (DFW) if that matters.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zeer0
When there are 2 separate domestic flight PNRs, are they able to check through without you having to pay for checked bags twice? Anyone have any experiences with specifically that? The layover between PNRs is also not at a hub (DFW) if that matters.
Yes, they can. However, if either is a Basic Economy ticket, there is a recent report that they're no longer doing this for BE customers. You'll need to allocate extra time, especially if the flight from DFW is full. The agent at your check-in airport may need to call the help desk.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, they can. However, if either is a Basic Economy ticket, there is a recent report that they're no longer doing this for BE customers. You'll need to allocate extra time, especially if the flight from DFW is full. The agent at your check-in airport may need to call the help desk.
Thanks. I also remember hearing that BE tickets were specifically excluded from this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:50 pm

Asking another question regarding through checking bags on 2 separate UA tickets. If both tickets are non-BE Y tickets and I have *G status, I know the first bag will be fine. What if I bring 2 checked bags? Will paying once at the starting point of the first ticket be good enough, or will this screw up being able to through check the second bag, since it technically has to be paid for twice? (I would be happy to pay twice, but don't know how that could even be done at the departure on the first ticket)
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Asking another question regarding through checking bags on 2 separate UA tickets. If both tickets are non-BE Y tickets and I have *G status, I know the first bag will be fine. What if I bring 2 checked bags? Will paying once at the starting point of the first ticket be good enough ....
Yes, single payment of the bag fee --
zeer0 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, single payment of the bag fee --
Oh, that's better than I thought.
Do you if the agents in BOS are any good at this? I'm getting a little scared reading about all the mixed reports of whether the agents know how to do UA-UA interlines, especially if at a non-hub. I will be screwed if these bags don't get through checked, but there's no way to book this as 1 ticket.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:13 pm

Do you if the agents in BOS are any good at this? I'm getting a little scared reading about all the mixed reports of whether the agents know how to do UA-UA interlines, especially if at a non-hub. .....
Look at the dates of the problem reports -- there tend to be older. Just allow extra time for checking -- 20-30 minutes to be on the safe side. BOS is a mainline station, not a UX outpost, there will be someone that has done this before. If they seem to stuck, you could suggest the help desk (but don't be too pushy or appear you are telling them how to do their job)
zeer0 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
I did this at IAH a few weeks ago. It took an agent and a supervisor about 30 minutes, since one of the segments was sold out in my cabin. (One would imagine UA-UA should be easy, but the agents need to create a dummy booking to pull it off.)
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:20 am

I have a UA domestic to UA transpacific connection at LAX (both United economy transpacific one operated by ANA), and (apparently) my second PNR will have two free checked bags. I'm wonder if UA will have me pay for checked luggage for the domestic sector if i thru check my bag.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe_miami
I did this at IAH a few weeks ago. It took an agent and a supervisor about 30 minutes, since one of the segments was sold out in my cabin. (One would imagine UA-UA should be easy, but the agents need to create a dummy booking to pull it off.)
UA-UA is more difficult specifically because of the scenario you encountered. You can add a dummy segment on another airline without doing inventory validation, because there's an allowance in the system for UA's systems being out of sync with the other airline. In a UA-UA situation, the system tries to be helpful, and will validate the updated inventory on the assumption that this is a real flight change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.