Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checking baggage through on separate UA operated reservations...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It is possible to interline bags for no extra costs when on separate tickets, when both tickets are for UA flights.
However, for some agents, this can be a challenging task, so allow extra time at check-in (30 minutes extra?). The agent may need to consult the "Help Desk."

Recent reports suggest this may not be possible if one ticket is Basic Economy, no free checked bags, ticket

related thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
Print Wikipost

Checking baggage through on separate UA operated reservations...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2016, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by raehl311
Replacement will never happen. There is simply too much going on and you can never get a new system tested enough that it will be better than a system you've been using for decades.
Sure, replacement can happen. Airlines have done it. Copa is in the process of dumping SHARES as we speak. Once Copa is out, I believe SHARES will be down to some like 5 customers, with every remaining SHARES customer having fewer than 100 aircraft (aside from UA).

PMUA was on a path to replace Apollo with Amaedus, the Star Alliance standardized platform. That was scrapped when CO came into the mix with their "free" copy of SHARES.

Originally Posted by raehl311
Updates are more reasonable, but even then the risk profile of going deep into the depths of a critical piece of software is quite high. How much damage did UA do to itself with the horrible systems integration at merger time?
It's not clear what's attributable to systems, to policies, to customer service issues that stemmed from either of the above, or whatnot. But I can't help but think systems was a big part of it when I factor how much more difficult things became and how much more time I had to spend to get similar (or poorer) results than in the past.

But at the end of the day, UA's drop in RASM performance (UA was a solid #1 and CO was a solid above average before merging, to being at the bottom after merging), there is no doubt in my mind that systems had something to do with it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:01 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by channa
...an 100 aircraft (aside from UA).

PMUA was on a path to replace Apollo with Amaedus, the Star Alliance standardized platform. That was scrapped when CO came into the mix with their "free" copy of SHARES.
Had UA switched to Amadeus (for both reservations and DCS), all the agent had to do was press the function key (eg. F9 or something similar) for the "Find Connection" function.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:18 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by jonsha
I have a question for anyone who is familiar with this kind of thing...

I had two United flights today...first from BOS-SFO then from SFO-HND. They were on separate reservations and I was under the impression that bags can be through checked with multiple reservations, if they are all United flights. So at the airport in Boston I asked for them to do this (I did not want to deal with baggage claim and security at SFO). After playing around with the computer for more than 5 min the agent said she couldn't do it, and the reason she gave was sort of strange. She said she couldn't "buy the seats" or "buy the flight" or something along those lines. I have confirmed tickets on both flights and had already checked in online. Is there any reason why a ticket agent couldn't through check bags?

Sounds like the agent was trying to add a UA passive segment to an existing UA PNR using the HK, BK or GK codes. This is not meant to work when the "live" operating segment of the other flight is hosted in the same computer system (in this case SHARES). Passive segments are really meant to work only when the "live" operating segment (for another carrier) resides on another computer system.

Be glad that it didn't work, otherwise you could have a double booking scenario where both the original SFO-HND segment and the duplicate SFO-HND segment (added temporarily to the BOS-SFO PNR using a "sell" transaction to deplete from "live inventory" as opposed to a "passive segment" [as it didn't work]). This could by accident cause you to have both segments cancelled when the duplicate segment check is done behind the scenes.

Other reservations systems such as Sabre (which AA uses) have a work around where when you have two separate reservations (both AA as an example) in separate PNRs, "information" segments showing flights from the other PNR can be added to each respective PNR. This is done using the "YK" code as opposed to the HK, BK or GK codes.

In Amadeus Altea (airport check-in version), there is a "find connection" function that allows the check-in records from two separate reservations to be merged into one. (Only the check-in record is merged, while the PNRs on the reservations side remain as separate records)

As for SHARES (who is familiar with the system), can anyone tell me if there is a work around?
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by daniellam
Had UA switched to Amadeus (for both reservations and DCS), all the agent had to do was press the function key (eg. F9 or something similar) for the "Find Connection" function.
Yes, it's true in ALTEA CM if the customer name matches another UA booking it is very easy to merge two separate PNRs on the DCS.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by channa
Sure, replacement can happen. Airlines have done it. Copa is in the process of dumping SHARES as we speak. Once Copa is out, I believe SHARES will be down to some like 5 customers, with every remaining SHARES customer having fewer than 100 aircraft (aside from UA).
TK has over 300 aircraft.

That said, they are currently in the process of dropping SHARES too.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA, HA
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
TK has over 300 aircraft.

That said, they are currently in the process of dropping SHARES too.
Good to see vendor software being forced to evolve or die.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 7:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Just went through the pain of checking bags in two separate UA operated reservation. Three agents spent 25 minutes trying to figure it out at SFO, 1K lane. They finally called a supervisor, who made the trick to add an extra segment on one of the itineraries, then remove it.... Completely ridiculous system.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by 1KHI
They finally called a supervisor, who made the trick to add an extra segment on one of the itineraries, then remove it.... Completely ridiculous system.
That's not a "trick" that's the official, actual way to do it. And yes, it's ridiculous.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
While we're on this subject.

I have 2 separate tickets, LAX-ORD, ORD-DTW, is UA willing to tag my bags all the way to DTW (based on people's encounters with agents recently)? FYI LAX-ORD is domestic First and ORD-DTW is Y (not basic economy), I have *A Gold if those help.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 5:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by vincewy
... I have 2 separate tickets, LAX-ORD, ORD-DTW, is UA willing to tag my bags all the way to DTW (based on people's encounters with agents recently)? ....
Yes this can be done but allow extra time in case the agent has not done this before -- may require the agent get assistance, it is not straightforward.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this still a pain? US->US Hub->International. If they do it, what should I watch out for (i.e. PNR does not get messed up, which PNR the bag would be under, etc.)

Thanks.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by username
Is this still a pain? US->US Hub->International. If they do it, what should I watch out for (i.e. PNR does not get messed up, which PNR the bag would be under, etc.)

Thanks.
If the bag tag gets printed out properly, you're likely golden. Check the reservation afterwards to make sure the the dummy segments have been removed, but that's the only thing I'd worry about. The bag tracker is likely to be confused.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by username

Thanks.
The only thing I know about this from my readings is that it can still be complicated and I did not want to deal with it at 5:00 AM going from US->US Hub->International on two different PNR all on United. So, I changed my first flight to one for the evening before and stayed overnight in a hotel at ORD.

For the return, it took the agent at PVG a long time to get it done. She apologized a lot in the process. But if it had not worked it would not have been a big deal since at ORD passengers anyways need to get their luggage and give it back to an agent.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
The only thing I know about this from my readings is that it can still be complicated
Complications arise when:

1) The agent hasn't done it before and nobody can assist the agent - or don't even know it can be done.

or

2) Maybe the agent has done it a lot - but hasn't done it when the subsequent flight is sold out. They need to make a dummy booking on the subsequent flight - and if sold out, they can't make the booking. So, they either throw their hands up because they don't know what to do - or, they know to call a supervisor on the phone - but the wait time is excruciating and you don't have the time to wait...
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:34 pm

Be Certain your names match EXACTLY!

Had a huge hassle flying CHO - IAD on one reservation, and then IAD-BRU-MAN on another because "MR" was appended to my name on one reservation and not on the other
shdflyer on one
shdflyerMR on the other

UA refused to check bags all the way because the names did not match -- they even called support from check in desk and got a hard "no" -- and I had no time to call UA and get them to reticket without the MR... Lesson learned, if doing this allow extra time!

Both tickets were purchased at ua.com using my normal login, etc. I have no idea why one had MR added...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.