Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checking baggage through on separate UA operated reservations...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It is possible to interline bags for no extra costs when on separate tickets, when both tickets are for UA flights.
However, for some agents, this can be a challenging task, so allow extra time at check-in (30 minutes extra?). The agent may need to consult the "Help Desk."

Recent reports suggest this may not be possible if one ticket is Basic Economy, no free checked bags, ticket

related thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
Print Wikipost

Checking baggage through on separate UA operated reservations...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2023, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Booked IAD-FRA and FRA-IAD Polaris earlier in the year when I space was available. Got family member booked on same flights couple months ago (hers is I outbound, ON return). Flight is in 3 weeks.

She had FFC expiring and wanted to tack on RIC-IAD (outbound) and IAD-RIC (return), since we both needed to originate and return at RIC for this trip (with no foreseeable travel in the near future, she didn't want to extend FFC). So we did. Kinda regretting that now with the travel mess...

Never had checked bags on separate tix, but we definitely will this time - in both directions. Reading through this thread, seems it's not that straightforward getting UA-UA bags through-checked, especially since RIC is not a hub.

Best way to handle? Check in at Special Services vs Premier at RIC? Have 6 hour layover at IAD outbound for her to enjoy the Polaris lounge (her first time in Polaris), and 2.5 hours for the return. Thinking the 6 hour layover at IAD isn't feasible for just checking bags to IAD, reclaim and recheck, since we'd be stuck with the bags until UA accepts them closer to flight time.

ETA: I realize it would be much simpler and less time consuming to just drive to IAD and back (especially since I live there so we'd have a place to hang out until closer to flight time), but all attempts at convincing her fell on deaf ears. So I'm stuck trying to figure out how to best handle this.

Suggestions? TIA!

Last edited by IADdelayed; Jul 25, 2023 at 6:56 pm Reason: Added additional info
Old Jul 25, 2023, 7:01 pm

*bump*

Originally Posted by IADdelayed
Booked IAD-FRA and FRA-IAD Polaris earlier in the year when I space was available. Got family member booked on same flights couple months ago (hers is I outbound, ON return). Flight is in 3 weeks.

She had FFC expiring and wanted to tack on RIC-IAD (outbound) and IAD-RIC (return), since we both needed to originate and return at RIC for this trip (with no foreseeable travel in the near future, she didn't want to extend FFC). So we did. Kinda regretting that now with the travel mess...

Never had checked bags on separate tix, but we definitely will this time - in both directions. Reading through this thread, seems it's not that straightforward getting UA-UA bags through-checked, especially since RIC is not a hub.

Best way to handle? Check in at Special Services vs Premier at RIC? Have 6 hour layover at IAD outbound for her to enjoy the Polaris lounge (her first time in Polaris), and 2.5 hours for the return. Thinking the 6 hour layover at IAD isn't feasible for just checking bags to IAD, reclaim and recheck, since we'd be stuck with the bags until UA accepts them closer to flight time.

ETA: I realize it would be much simpler and less time consuming to just drive to IAD and back (especially since I live there so we'd have a place to hang out until closer to flight time), but all attempts at convincing her fell on deaf ears. So I'm stuck trying to figure out how to best handle this.

Suggestions? TIA!
Old Jul 25, 2023, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

*bump*
Just arrive early at RIC. It is possible to check through on separate UA tickets. It's more difficult if the second flight is sold out, but it's still possible. Ask them to contact the help desk if necessary.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Just arrive early at RIC. It is possible to check through on separate UA tickets. It's more difficult if the second flight is sold out, but it's still possible. Ask them to contact the help desk if necessary.
Better to check in at the Special Services desk? Or would the agent working Premier check-in be more knowledgeable with this?
Old Jul 25, 2023, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Better to check in at the Special Services desk? Or would the agent working Premier check-in be more knowledgeable with this?
It's been a while since I've been to RIC, but I'd be surprised if it made any difference. Certainly here at AUS, the same staff can work any of the counters; the Special Services line is mostly just a way to get lengthy transactions out of the way of people with simpler needs.
SPN Lifer and IADdelayed like this.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
It's been a while since I've been to RIC, but I'd be surprised if it made any difference. Certainly here at AUS, the same staff can work any of the counters; the Special Services line is mostly just a way to get lengthy transactions out of the way of people with simpler needs.
So just to circle back on this. Only one check-in line was open at RIC. Showed agent BP for separate IAD - FRA and asked to have bags checked through to FRA. After seeing it was a 6 hour layover, he refused, claiming they can only through-check for layovers 4 hours or less. I'm sure this was incorrect (unless it's a new policy), but didn't feel like arguing. So we were stuck hanging out with our bags pre-security at IAD until we could check in for the int'l leg 2 hours later. Not a huge deal, but slightly annoying.
jsloan and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 12:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... After seeing it was a 6 hour layover, he refused, claiming they can only through-check for layovers 4 hours or less. I'm sure this was incorrect (unless it's a new policy), ....
You are correct, bogus rule (up to 12 hours allowed).
jsloan, SPN Lifer and IADdelayed like this.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 3:31 pm

Programs: A3 *G, QR Plat, Accor ALL Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I have a reservation CDG - EWR - SFO landing at 21:42 and a second reservation SFO - RNO leaving at 22:48, all of them UA flights. As I would have to take my checked-in baggage through customs in EWR, should I expect them to be interlined from there all the way to RNO? Or is it not safe to rely on this?

Is it a very risky connection even if I manage to interline the baggage? I saw there is a 30 minutes minimum checkin deadline without baggage and 45 with.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bellerophontes
I have a reservation CDG - EWR - SFO landing at 21:42 and a second reservation SFO - RNO leaving at 22:48, all of them UA flights. As I would have to take my checked-in baggage through customs in EWR, should I expect them to be interlined from there all the way to RNO? Or is it not safe to rely on this? ...
request checkthru at CDG and have it check to RNO. You will have to explicitly request this at CDG. Allow an extra 15-20 minutes.

Originally Posted by bellerophontes
Is it a very risky connection even if I manage to interline the baggage? I saw there is a 30 minutes minimum checkin deadline without baggage and 45 with.
Without interline checkthru this is 100% likely to fail at SFO-RNO. Arrive, exit security, wait for bag to be delivered to bag carousel (20-40 minutes), go up stairs and wait to checkbag -- not a chance to meet the 45 minute bag check deadline. Miss the last flight to RNO.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 9:16 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Checking Bags on two Itineraries

Good morning everyone and mods please feel free to move this to the appropriate thread. I am traveling IAD-SFO-PPT this Friday, IAD-SFO on a revenue ticket and SFO-PPT on a miles redemption. I will be checking a bag for this trip, with two separate itineraries. How should I go about doing this as I would rather not check-in at the airport and only have to drop off my bag. Thank you in advance.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You will need to talk to an agent at the airport, and provide them with the PNR for the 2nd ticket. There's no other way to do it.

There should be no issues checking in online for both trips, but there's no way to avoid talking to a human at the airport and getting them to sort the bag tag manually.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Longboater
...I am traveling IAD-SFO-PPT this Friday, IAD-SFO on a revenue ticket and SFO-PPT on a miles redemption. I will be checking a bag for this trip, with two separate itineraries. How should I go about doing this as I would rather not check-in at the airport and only have to drop off my bag. ....
Airport only function and UA-UA is a bit hard for agents than UA-partner
Originally Posted by wiki
It is possible to interline bags for no extra costs when on separate tickets, when both tickets are for UA flights.
However, for some agents, this can be a challenging task, so allow extra time at check-in (30 minutes extra?). The agent may need to consult the "Help Desk."

Recent reports suggest this may not be possible if one ticket is Basic Economy, no free checked bags, ticket
Old Oct 5, 2023, 8:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Elite
checking baggage to the final destination with two separate tickets

How likely it is that United will agree to check in my baggage all the way to the final destination with two separate business class tickets?
Old Oct 5, 2023, 8:54 am

A bit more information would be helpful. What is the routing and time between the two separate tickets? Are they all on United ticket stock and United metal?

In general, if you have two United tickets (or a United ticket and a Star Alliance ticket, generally - though don't take as gospel) and a reasonable connection time, they will be able to do this at the check-in desk for your first flight. But, the devil is in the details, hence the first questions.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Elite
Thanks for the answer. Both flights are UA (UA 609 from CLE to ORD and UA 140 ORD to TLV), with 2.5 hours connection. Guess I should be fine then?
wbatl1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.