Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checking baggage through on separate UA operated reservations...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It is possible to interline bags for no extra costs when on separate tickets, when both tickets are for UA flights.
However, for some agents, this can be a challenging task, so allow extra time at check-in (30 minutes extra?). The agent may need to consult the "Help Desk."

Recent reports suggest this may not be possible if one ticket is Basic Economy, no free checked bags, ticket

related thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
Print Wikipost

Checking baggage through on separate UA operated reservations...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2024, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aprildilao
Hi, I am planning of booking flight from MNL to SFO in Business Class, then booking another ticket from SFO to MSY in economy. Does anyone know if do I need to recheck in at the counter for my bags to be tagged again or can I just dropped it off after I pass Immigration and Custom? I never been to SFO so I really don't know how their system works. By booking 2 mixed separate tickets Im saving about $500. Thank you!
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

You will have to pick up your luggage at SFO whether it is checked through to MSY or not. You'l then proceed to the re-check area; if it's only checked to MNL, you can have the UA agent -- to the left of the baggage re-check line, after Customs -- tag it to MSY for you, although you might have to pay any applicable bag fees.

An agent at MNL should be able to print your bag tag to MSY if you show both itineraries. However, this can be challenging on a UA-to-UA itinerary, and the MNL ground staff -- while quite competent -- are outsourced agents rather than UA employees and may have a harder time doing this than a full-time employee would in the unfortunate case that your SFO-MSY flight is sold out. If it's not sold out, their usual process should work fine.

Make sure to arrive at MNL Terminal 3 at least 2 hours prior to departure, as this process may take a little while.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 10:37 am

We've had a highly similar question recently, and I'll again reiterate that while agents can do UA-to-UA through-tagging on separate tickets, depending on the particular agent, it can take a long time of you standing at the counter in front of them while they are typing. And by "long time", I mean 15-20 minutes of twiddling your thumbs. It is a conceptually simple task, but in practice can be quite involved.

If you miss your first flight because you did not allow enough time for that extra processing, it is on you. You'll be considered a no-show and the first ticket will (likely) get cancelled as a result. If you miss the baggage cut-off because the agent is trying to accommodate your request, it is on you. Your bags will not be able to travel with you. Take this as a dire warning to allow enough time.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by jpezaris
We've had a highly similar question recently, and I'll again reiterate that while agents can do UA-to-UA through-tagging on separate tickets, depending on the particular agent, it can take a long time of you standing at the counter in front of them while they are typing. And by "long time", I mean 15-20 minutes of twiddling your thumbs. It is a conceptually simple task, but in practice can be quite involved.

If you miss your first flight because you did not allow enough time for that extra processing, it is on you. You'll be considered a no-show and the first ticket will (likely) get cancelled as a result. If you miss the baggage cut-off because the agent is trying to accommodate your request, it is on you. Your bags will not be able to travel with you. Take this as a dire warning to allow enough time.

it's 5 hourd layover in SFO.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by aprildilao
it's 5 hourd layover in SFO.
Doesn't matter: The (potential) long process will be at MNL (having the agent tag the bag thru to MSY).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
And UA has only one MNL-SFO flight daily.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 9:29 am

Well, I guess I can ask but if they can't do it, I will just have to re check in again once I get to SFO and tag my bag. Thank you for all your reply.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA*S, CX*S, CI*G
I want to ask a question about luggage check-through with two different United-operated tickets at GUM. (Aeroplan award+UA Cash)
I am travelling from KWA to GUM on United 132 and will arrive at GUM at 18:25.
I will then take UA 174 from GUM to SPN the next day at 08:00, so the transfer time is below 12 hours.
Is it possible for me to ask UA ground staff at KWA to check through my luggage to SPN?
Given the limited time I will have at GUM, I plan to spend most of time in the airport lounge (Sagan Bisita, not UA) so luggage check-through will be hugely beneficial.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by fleuve
I want to ask a question about luggage check-through with two different United-operated tickets at GUM. (Aeroplan award+UA Cash)
I will then take UA 174 from GUM to SPN the next day at 08:00, so the transfer time is below 12 hours.
Is it possible for me to ask UA ground staff at KWA to check through my luggage to SPN?
Given the limited time I will have at GUM, I plan to spend most of time in the airport lounge (Sagan Bisita, not UA) so luggage check-through will be hugely beneficial.
You have plenty of time before your lounge visit, Sagan Basita closes at 5pm and reopens at 3am. That being said if you go landside, I don't know when you can go airside again, don't know how that actually works in Guam.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 7:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The policy is not to checkthru if 12 hours OR overnight. You will not be able to check bags for the next flight until 3-4 hours prior to departure.

As mentioned it is uncommon for lounges at any airport to be open overnight. There are a few but it is not common.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA*S, CX*S, CI*G
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
You have plenty of time before your lounge visit, Sagan Basita closes at 5pm and reopens at 3am. That being said if you go landside, I don't know when you can go airside again, don't know how that actually works in Guam.
Oops, I guess the operating hours have undergone significant changes. Last time I checked they opened at 23hr00 till evening the next day, and that's why I plan to stay there. Just don't find it worthy for another hotel stay given the short hours. I thought GUM airport is 24hrs and I can stay in the tranfer zone as long as I have my connecting flight?

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The policy is not to checkthru if 12 hours OR overnight. You will not be able to check bags for the next flight until 3-4 hours prior to departure.

As mentioned it is uncommon for lounges at any airport to be open overnight. There are a few but it is not common.
Got it, thanks. Guess I will have to find a place to stay then.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 28, 2024 at 8:16 pm
Old Feb 28, 2024, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is one of these a typo? 18:25 until 08:00 is 13h35m. (Of course, WineCountryUA is correct that policy would be that you can't check through anyway due to the overnight).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
If one wants to stay airside overnight and sleep on the floor at GUM, one may do so. It is usually pretty quiet near the low-numbered gates.

But if your bags are landslide, that could be a complication.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fleuve (Post # 235)
I plan to stay there. Just don't find it worthy for another hotel stay given the short hours. I thought GUM airport is 24hrs and I can stay in the tranfer zone as long as I have my connecting flight?
Yes, that is correct. I have slept overnight (airside) near the south end of the terminal before connecting home to Saipan.

But I either had carry-on bags, or my luggage was checked through with a connection of less than 12 hours.

Despite having been SPN-based from 1991-2010 and since 2021, I have never taken the Island Hopper.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Feb 29, 2024 at 12:45 am
Old Apr 1, 2024, 9:43 am

Programs: Platinum UA, Titanium Marriot
international check in in Newark, time limit ahead of flight

I am flying from PVD-EWR on a separate itin to connect with a flight to Athens. I land at 07:30 and leave EWR for ATH at 3:45pm. Will have to collect my checked bag and then recheck but does anyone know if they have a time limit before the flight to check my back to ATH. I have looked on United's site and did not find any info. Thanks for a quick answer
Old Apr 1, 2024, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by baby catch
I am flying from PVD-EWR on a separate itin to connect with a flight to Athens. I land at 07:30 and leave EWR for ATH at 3:45pm. Will have to collect my checked bag and then recheck but does anyone know if they have a time limit before the flight to check my back to ATH. I have looked on United's site and did not find any info. Thanks for a quick answer
You should be fine. The general limit is 4 hours before, but at a hub like EWR it's usually no problem to be much earlier. I have checked more than 6 hours early at EWR.

edit: here is a thread
Consolidated "How Early Can I Check My Luggage Before a UA Flight?" Thread [Merged]
VRFast likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.