Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checking baggage through on separate UA operated reservations...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It is possible to interline bags for no extra costs when on separate tickets, when both tickets are for UA flights.
However, for some agents, this can be a challenging task, so allow extra time at check-in (30 minutes extra?). The agent may need to consult the "Help Desk."

Recent reports suggest this may not be possible if one ticket is Basic Economy, no free checked bags, ticket

related thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
Print Wikipost

Checking baggage through on separate UA operated reservations...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2022, 6:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by den221
i arrived at ONT early there were 3 agents behind the counter and one was as clueless as the other, so
had to check in the regular way and check in again at SFO, wasnt the worst experience however the request itself seems to simple yet all of them had no idea how to do it
Newer agents do not, it appears, have this as a standard part of their training. A gentle suggestion for the agent " I heard calling the Help Desk works" can help.

The truth UA to UA interline is more difficult then UA to partner interline for technical reasons but the solution is not going to be guessed by a first timer.

Sorry it did not work out, its a bit more difficult than it appears, especially with a sold out flight.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 6:21 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Newer agents do not, it appears, have this as a standard part of their training. A gentle suggestion for the agent " I heard calling the Help Desk works" can help.

The truth UA to UA interline is more difficult then UA to partner interline for technical reasons but the solution is not going to be guessed by a first timer.

Sorry it did not work out, its a bit more difficult than it appears, especially with a sold out flight.
yea i guess its not as easy as it sounds, luckily the check in and security process at SFO was pretty smooth
Old Aug 28, 2022, 6:12 am

Programs: Turkish Airlines Gold
United check bag through multiple PNRs

I am flying DUB-IAD-DEN-LAX arriving into LAX at 9am, later that evening at 9pm I'm flying LAX - SFO on a different PNR. All are UA operated flights. Is it possible to check the bag straight through to LAX?

Last edited by 89703511961; Aug 28, 2022 at 11:01 am Reason: Correct routing
Old Aug 28, 2022, 6:15 am

Programs: UA
Yes ...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 28, 2022 at 12:20 pm Reason: cleanup after merge; thanks for the link
Old Aug 28, 2022, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
it'll depend a bit. 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. is long. If 9 p.m. is 9.20 p.m. then you can't check them through. I believe 12 hours is still the absolute max that UA allows.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 9:45 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Hold on, if you’re arriving at 9am into LAX, isn’t there an overnight stay somewhere between IAD-LAX?
Old Aug 28, 2022, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Do you have an overnight layover somewhere on that itinerary? Almost all of the westbound transatlantic flights that United operates occur during the day.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 11:02 am

Programs: Turkish Airlines Gold
Yes, there is a 12 hour, 8 minute connection in Denver.

I arrive into LAX at 09:15 and leave 19:00. So at least if I can't check in the back the whole way I should be able to collect in Denver then check in all the way to SFO.
jsloan likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 2:40 pm

Hello,

I am fying SFO - ORD in Economy and than ORD - GIG in Polaris on a separate PNRs. If I manage to check luggae into GRU what would be bag allowance?
Old Nov 5, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Tomasz Pa
Hello,

I am fying SFO - ORD in Economy and than ORD - GIG in Polaris on a separate PNRs. If I manage to check luggae into GRU what would be bag allowance?
Nearly always you will get the business / Polaris flight allowance for the SFO-ORD flight (but it is not guaranteed due to the separate ticket). How long is the time between flights?
Old Nov 5, 2022, 7:41 pm

Thanks. What if my next flight is 12h and 12m after I land? This is just 12m above limit? Is there a way for check-in agent to override this?

Tomasz
Old Nov 6, 2022, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by Tomasz Pa
Thanks. What if my next flight is 12h and 12m after I land? This is just 12m above limit? Is there a way for check-in agent to override this?
is it 12:12?

Policy is no check thru if over 12 hours, could a agent override but it would be against policy and most check-in agents are contractors or fairly junior employees -- not likely to break policy -- but you can ask
Old Nov 8, 2022, 11:03 am

Update. I did SDC and my layover was reduced to 6h. Checkin agent did check my luggage through final destination. On baggage track it looks like it was rerouted to my final destination.

Unfortunatley I needed to pay for bags as they didn't want to consider my bag allowance from second ticket in polaris.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 1:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Couldn't check thru bag coz of "Mr" in name

I have 2 separate reservations with UA flights. First one was booked thru my Lifemiles account. 2nd one was booked thru another family member's Lifemiles account. The latter apparently put a Mr in my passenger name. Bag checker says system wouldn't allow them to check it thru coz of this name discrepancy. Does that sound right?
Old Mar 13, 2023, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign
I have 2 separate reservations with UA flights. First one was booked thru my Lifemiles account. 2nd one was booked thru another family member's Lifemiles account. The latter apparently put a Mr in my passenger name. Bag checker says system wouldn't allow them to check it thru coz of this name discrepancy. Does that sound right?
Was this for UA to UA connection? Use the bag checker a UA employee or contractor?
The minor names difference should have not been an issue but a UA to UA can be a difficult situation. With mostly contractors in the bag area, best to go to special services or counter with a UA employee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.