Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is this United's new business class layout?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this United's new business class layout?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2016, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by artvandalay
For all those folks who bemoan the passing of UA's "spacious" GF, this cabin is going to be an adjustment.
Agreed...to the cheapest business fare possible when PN is not available or to a premium carrier.

Last edited by goalie; Mar 11, 2016 at 10:46 pm Reason: Repaired quote
Old Mar 11, 2016, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
I love your fleet site, but it's worth being very clear here. There are a number of number people on here that spend 6 figures with United each year, driven by premium tickets. Since the merger that group's perspectives and opinions have been rejected out of hand by the Smisek regime. If you brand your best customers as complainers, there is a deeper problem.

Many of us, at least me, genuinely want United to succeed. What we are seeing instead is a transition not to a premium global carrier, but rather back to a captive hub mentality, in which "industry leading" is mostly spin. Four seats between 2 aisles is not a product that is competitive in many of the markets that UA operates.

This is a missed opportunity that could have probably been avoided had Oscar arrived 1 year earlier.
Why is "success" only defined as best in class ? For the record, KE JL EK and Oman Air's new J are 2-3-2. BA LH LX doesn't even have all aisle access. AA isn't entirely flat, while DL has the least J seats in a 77E among the US3.

The "best" customers are also the ones who say "give us a GF that looks like SQ Suites that any J fare can upgrade from using a GPU. I want Dom, Benz transfer, and caviar with my corporate P fare"
Old Mar 11, 2016, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I don't like the choice of a table by my knees or a table by my shoulders. How about a table somewhere I can reach without contorting myself? Like I enjoyed on Swiss last month.

I see how this config barely fits on a 777. How are they going to make it fit on an 18" narrower 787? It seems it's going to end up narrower than the narrowed product they have now.

Originally Posted by 747200f
Much better chance for reasonable pricing/award availability/ and upgrades clearing.
All recent evidence points to better premium cabin monetization. I think the extensive domestic first monetization is going to spread to longhaul, where they'll take 20 cpm fares before they'll give awards and upgrades.

Originally Posted by Tblack15
Same as mini bucket/table next to my ear in the current J seat is easy to reach? As a not-flexible, long armed, goofy dude I have to dislocate my shoulder to plug in headphones!
Agreed here. Put the bloody connector somewhere I can reach without contortions and aren't constantly pulling out.

Originally Posted by 747200f
If they went 1-2-1 like DAL for example they wouldn't get close to 60 in there. In Fact, DAL has only 34 in their new A330-300's they are currently taking delivery of.
DL's 1-2-1 on the 777 fits about the same number of seats between door 1 and 2: 26 plus two closets and a galley on DL vs 28 without closets in the thread starter. The 333 is a completely different class of airplane than the 77W, both narrower and shorter; the seat counts are in no way comparable.

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
And for the record a traditional 1x2x1 wasn't going to work with the seat count UA is going with.
DL's 777 herringbone has the same density; it'd have the same seat count between door 1 and 2 if they had the same galley config.

Originally Posted by jeedk
Why is "success" only defined as best in class ?
Because this is a new concept that won't be adopted across the longhaul fleet for another 5 years (if ever?). If you're not even skating to where the puck is now you're going to be well behind by the time you finish installing it. It will be like installing decade-old B/E Diamond seats on brand new 789s all over again.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by jeedk
Why is "success" only defined as best in class ? For the record, KE JL EK and Oman Air's new J are 2-3-2. BA LH LX doesn't even have all aisle access. AA isn't entirely flat, while DL has the least J seats in a 77E among the US3.

The "best" customers are also the ones who say "give us a GF that looks like SQ Suites that any J fare can upgrade from using a GPU. I want Dom, Benz transfer, and caviar with my corporate P fare"
I don't think anyone here was expecting best in class anything from UA - just something more competitive than this appears to be - especially since this configuration will likely be around for the next 10-15 years. We all know the soft product was never going to match up to the global standard but I think we all hoped that at least with a decent 1-2-1 a la NH we would at least have a competitive hard product to limp into the future on...
Old Mar 11, 2016, 5:29 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Overall, I am cautiously optimistic. It is better than anything UA has to offer now.

I am just hoping the current 787 in the fleet will get the new seats earlier than later. Considering UA is using 787 on some of the longer routes in the system, it is not that attractive/comfortanle to fly in the curretn seats.

Hope the new 787 to be delivered will have the new seats.

I agree those DG seats are great for couples or family traveling together, but imagine you get stuck there with a stranger.....not too pleasant considering how how close and the facing angles. At least in the two middle seats of the 2-4-2, the facing angle is straight forward.
I would imagine there'll be some kind of a partition. That'd be the ideal scenario.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I don't think anyone here was expecting best in class anything from UA - just something more competitive than this appears to be - especially since this configuration will likely be around for the next 10-15 years. We all know the soft product was never going to match up to the global standard but I think we all hoped that at least with a decent 1-2-1 a la NH we would at least have a competitive hard product to limp into the future on...
Have u seen the renderings on reply 80 and 90-something ? This is definitely staggered 1-2-1 with more creative egress pathways.

Here's the feature list I can see / guess :
1. All aisle access
2. No FA intrusion when serving another pax
3. Likely 78" or longer bed, and equivalent footwell space to Solstys
4. 18" or larger IFE, likely with 720p or better
5. Immense privacy at window seat for paid J passengers
6. 60J on 77W allowing for better chances of R and I space

FWIW, NH's highly praised J is a custom variant of the Solstys concept
Old Mar 11, 2016, 5:45 pm

I'm a bit surprised at the negativity here. Are the seats expected to be much smaller than in 1-2-1 configs? I took a look at Air Canada's 1-2-1 config and it looks like the J seats are similar in size to UA's. If the seats in UA's config are the same size as in "true" 1-2-1 and have aisle access then what's the big deal? Looks good to me.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blackllotus
I'm a bit surprised at the negativity here. Are the seats expected to be much smaller than in 1-2-1 configs? I took a look at Air Canada's 1-2-1 config and it looks like the J seats are similar in size to UA's. If the seats in UA's config are the same size as in "true" 1-2-1 and have aisle access then what's the big deal? Looks good to me.
I think everyone was expecting the herringbone, reverse herringbone, or one of the stagger products.

This seat seems kinda weird and offers no apparent advantages over the current-gen B/E SuperDiamond that has already been adopted and flying on a number of carriers (AA/CX/QR/etc).
Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
I like it.
More BF seats on the plane. Aisle access without having to step over anyone. I think my favorite as illustrated is a window followed by one of the interior two.

It's a step up.
Maybe not as good as some (some say). But if it makes a big enough difference then just fly them. If you can't just be thankful for the small things.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
This config looks great to me. Great upgrade potential.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:31 pm

Four seats between 2 aisles is not a product that is competitive in many of the markets that UA operates.

This is a missed opportunity that could have probably been avoided had Oscar arrived 1 year earlier.
Look at this seat map.

I see "four seats between 2 aisles"

But it's AA's 787.

Go fly AA for that uber premium experience.

But wait...they don't let their Concierge Key upgrade into revenue fare buckets.

They're cutting their first class footprint by more than half to 20 aircraft.

And only those 20 aircraft have all forward facing Cirrus seats in J.

Their Asia capacity is a third of United's.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US ex-CP, NW silver, Marriott plat, SPG gold, Hertz 5*
I was never one to care either way about aisle access, but I do care about seat comfort so me it all comes down to the in person test. Please please please let the seat be comfy and the footwell not cramped for a 6'1" passenger!!
Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:53 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I love your fleet site, but it's worth being very clear here. There are a number of number people on here that spend 6 figures with United each year, driven by premium tickets. Since the merger that group's perspectives and opinions have been rejected out of hand by the Smisek regime. If you brand your best customers as complainers, there is a deeper problem.
Except the Smisek regime is no more. So bringing it up constantly, as others do and you just did, is pointless.

Many of us, at least me, genuinely want United to succeed. What we are seeing instead is a transition not to a premium global carrier, but rather back to a captive hub mentality, in which "industry leading" is mostly spin. Four seats between 2 aisles is not a product that is competitive in many of the markets that UA operates.
Bolding mine. For business class, 1-2-1 IS industry leading; I can't think of another airline offering 1-1-1- in business.

What we are seeing is the transition of an airline responding to current trends--which too many people herein refuse to acknowledge. United doesn't need to nor shouldn't seek to be a premium global carrier--it doesn't make as much profit that way, which too many dolts herein want to ignore. United does want to be as good as American and Delta, especially with regard to hard product (which we have yet to see for the new BusinessFirst seat) and service. It is in hard product where the US carriers are pretty competitive relative to the world. It is in soft product--particularly service--where US carriers will NEVER be competitive with the best global airlines.

American carriers will never compete with the Asian/Gulf carriers in terms of service--our society and norms are just wholly different, as is the American profit motive.

Apparently, the UA, AA, and DL approach is sound--since those are the 3 most profitable airlines in the world...by a huge margin.

We don't know what this is...since UA hasn't revealed their new BusinessFirst seat. It may be missed for you...but not for any airline. UA service is now better than AA service in my experience...and pretty much on par with Delta's for the most part.

The whining is incessant...but useless.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Bolding mine. For business class, 1-2-1 IS industry leading; I can't think of another airline offering 1-1-1- in business.
Virgin Atlantic
Old Mar 11, 2016, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Curious as to your thoughts behind this. From the diagram, it would seem that the center pairs (DG) are pretty ideal for couples.
On other airlines with similar layouts, there's typically a significant barrier between those seats, just like you see in UA's 747 F cabin. I would assume United would do the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.