Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is this United's new business class layout?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this United's new business class layout?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
It appears the fans of the TG layout haven't either flown TG or are shorter than 5-10 - it is very cramped in length and width, and impossible to lie flat if you are over 5-10. Very, very uncomfortable, even for 6-7 hours
Old Mar 11, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by 747200f
I don't see what the fuss is about, not climbing over someone or being climbed over has been my biggest beef with the current seats, along with the small footwells. If they went 1-2-1 like DAL for example they wouldn't get close to 60 in there. In Fact, DAL has only 34 in their new A330-300's they are currently taking delivery of.
I think the fuss is that people were expecting a SQ C seat but the seat turned into a narrow 1-2-1 lieflat.

But I think what everyone also fails to see is that the UA 77W is meant to boost capacity, to near 747 capacity. UA can definitely put spacious 1-2-1 and 60J seats, but then you'll end up with a capacity ~320 seats. As comparison, AF 77W BEST config, which has 58 J seats, but total 296 seats--you could take out F and PE, and add an extra 20 seats.

There's going to be trade-off somewhere. Either dense J, less J or less E+.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Imstevek
It appears the fans of the TG layout haven't either flown TG or are shorter than 5-10 - it is very cramped in length and width, and impossible to lie flat if you are over 5-10. Very, very uncomfortable, even for 6-7 hours
I've flown the TG Solystys seat numerous times and like it. It's well cushioned, private, and the width is better than the sUA 772. It also has plenty of storage space and lacks the footwell problem you encounter with the sCO BF seat. I'm not tall, but don't recall any issues with seat length. It's certainly no shorter than any of the sCO seats (excepting possibly the 772).
Old Mar 11, 2016, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
But foreign carriers have F.
Except, of course, all the ones which do not.

AA and DL have 1-2-1. Even Azul has our 1-2-1!
Again, what is the difference between those and this, other than the angle of the seat relative to the axis of the plane?

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
The defining factor is not "aisle-access" but "serving access".
A simple test will tell you if the layout is 1-2-1 or 2-4-2: "CAN THE FA SERVE YOU WITHOUT HANGING OVER THE PERSON NEXT TO YOU??"
So, in this case, that would be a yes, right?
Old Mar 11, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by Kacee
I've flown the TG Solystys seat numerous times and like it. It's well cushioned, private, and the width is better than the sUA 772. It also has plenty of storage space and lacks the footwell problem you encounter with the sCO BF seat. I'm not tall, but don't recall any issues with seat length. It's certainly no shorter than any of the sCO seats (excepting possibly the 772).
LOL, Like I said, if you're over 5-10, the seat is rather uncomfortable. Much worse than the sUA 772.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 11:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbm12
So, in this case, that would be a yes, right?
Indeed. Although the seats seem narrow to me. But that is another story.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by hirohito888
There's going to be trade-off somewhere. Either dense J, less J or less E+.
As someone that pays for J, and theoretically someone UA should be optimizing for, a dense J is a non-starter.

Except, of course, all the ones which do not.
Right, the ones that don't are installing true 1-2-1 J. 4 seats between 2 aisles is not 1-2-1, however you spin it.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 12:18 pm
Suspended

No need for spin. As a passenger, I'll be getting all aisle access, a shelf for personal items, flat bed, perfect privacy at the window seats, and likely a 18" HD AVOD IFE.

The average US male height is just 5/9-10", so there's little need to optimize the seat and footwell space for Dutch basketball players.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jeedk
The average US male height is just 5/9-10", so there's little need to optimize the seat and footwell space for Dutch basketball players.
It is not just about average height. The average waist size of a US male probably is 50+....

Last edited by Dieuwer; Mar 11, 2016 at 12:35 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 11, 2016, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Again, what is the difference between those and this, other than the angle of the seat relative to the axis...
For one thing, a sense of space and relative exclusivity vs the idea one is in a crowded pen. The "1" seats all actually have wondow access as well as aisle. All very significant differences that those who can afford to actually buy business class can weigh and opt for...by flying one of UA's competitors that offer true 1-2-1 and the space that comes with it. Otherwise the cabin relies on corporate contracts, deeply discounted fares and upgrades to be filled. Otherwise can't fathom why anyone would opt for UA when they could fly SQ or CX across the Pacific in one form or another of true 1-2-1...or even the new cabins of DL and AA.

(This layout is quite similar to the one BA has been using for many years and is now trying to upgrade with new seats and possibly less dense arrangement. It works a lot better on A380s than on 777s.)
Old Mar 11, 2016, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
It is not just about average height. The average waste size of a US male probably is 50+....
We weren't discussing the lavatories...
Old Mar 11, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Imstevek
LOL, Like I said, if you're over 5-10, the seat is rather uncomfortable. Much worse than the sUA 772.
That is a distinct minority view. I've never heard that complaint about the TG seat before.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bonehead
We weren't discussing the lavatories...
Typo!
Old Mar 11, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Kacee
That is a distinct minority view. I've never heard that complaint about the TG seat before.
^ I'm 6' and slept like a baby from BKK to ARN on TG. Great business class seat.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
As someone that pays for J, and theoretically someone UA should be optimizing for, a dense J is a non-starter.
Agree - if they optimized J for paying passengers. But 14 77W are optimized for the routes they're serving and the overall passengers and markets.

This seat might be sub-optimal when you go against carriers flying NYC-HKG/TYO. But if the plane is used for TLV/BOM/DEL/PVG/PEK, it's not any worse than AI/LY/CA/MU etc., or even EK/QR/EY/TK requiring 1-stop.

The other question is, how this seat plays out if it goes on A350 or retrofit on 787...

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Otherwise can't fathom why anyone would opt for UA when they could fly SQ or CX across the Pacific in one form or another of true 1-2-1...or even the new cabins of DL and AA.
Simple, WiFi and RDM. If work is paying $6,000 for a ticket, then I don't mind dealing with UA's inferior seat and get 66,000 RDM. Plus, The value of the being connected and RDM outweigh the IFE, Asian hospitality, and "good food" CX/SQ has. And if DL/AA flew NYC-HKG, then maybe I would reconsider.

But I'm probably a minority on this forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.