Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is this United's new business class layout?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this United's new business class layout?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2016, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by transportbiz
Agreed, and UA will be competing with BA in terms of hard product with this layout. Having just flown the BA product on an A380, I can tell you I'll take the AA 777W product hands down. The BA seat is narrow (20"), cramped, not at all private, and if you have an aisle seat meal trays are passed over you to be handed to the passenger (through the slide up separator) in the middle or window seats.

This layout to me isn't new or novel, much like everything UA does, it's just a Johnny come lately, copy of something someone else has had for a long time.

Competing in the real world for paying business class passengers with this layout? Not bloody likely. BA is much maligned for this layout.

Anecdotal story: On that BA flight, my seat mate was a grandmother who lived in London, and flies to LA about twice a year to see the grand kids. So, not a "flyertalk" type, and not what many of us arrogant road warriors would call a savvy flier. Her comment was that it was "awkward" she didn't like facing her seat mate so intimately, she hated having trays passed over her, and she felt cramped (she was a small woman at that). It was the first time she'd flown BA on the route having previously always gone on Virgin. I asked why she didn't this time, and she said BA was $2,000 less, so she thought she'd give it a try. For a savings of $2,000 she said she'd do it again, but if the price differential is less than $1K she'd stick with Virgin.

All that said bocostephen had is most right with this: "This thread is like screaming for a box of chocolates, and then when we get it, start screaming that it isn't Godiva. We are not Godiva clientele, we are See's clientele, and for that reason, this new product is actually better than we could hope for."

For United's clientele this layout will probably do just fine, just as DL's cramped J product gets rave reviews here on flyertalk as well (why, I have no idea).

So there you have it, UA will compete with BA and other mass market See's chocolate clientele carriers in the price leader discount business class market.
It is difficult to do something novel with C/J seats without taking up a lot of real estate, which destroys the value proposition.

I would point out that while VA's seat has some appealing qualities, it doesn't help the airline make more money or even survive in one of the most lucrative travel markets in the world.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by transportbiz
much like everything UA does, it's just a Johnny come lately, copy of something someone else has had for a long time.
As much as people criticize UA for having 2-4-2 seating, lie flat seating was something very few airlines had at the time when it rolled out. Back in 2008: Singapore, Lufthansa, and KLM's weggi seats were no match for UA's lie flat.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 9:45 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by mkrecek
As much as people criticize UA for having 2-4-2 seating, lie flat seating was something very few airlines had at the time when it rolled out. Back in 2008: Singapore, Lufthansa, and KLM's weggi seats were no match for UA's lie flat.
^^^

People always have short memories...and a complete inability to compare experiences on multiple airlines. Most people who whine about an airline tend to fly few other airlines with which to compare/contrast. Whining therefore happens in a pitiful vacuum of ignorance...or from a time long gone.

I don't love UA...but I know UA BF is a fine hard product. If I want aisle access, I simply choose one of the middle seats in the 2-2-2 cabin--not exactly a tough detail. People who whine about UA not having ALL-aisle access are the same people whining about lack of premium award/upgrade inventory for the 1-2-1 airlines with fewer business class seating.

Everyone seems to love AA's business class. I think it's fine...but I don't like it more than UA's. At 6'2", I find the AA seat to be fairly claustrophobic and tight. I'll gladly sacrifice the faux privacy of AA business for UA's more open/less private but more roomy feeling BF.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: GS, Marriott Titanium LT, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
I like the layout, it is a big improvement and addresses my major concerns. We'll have to see what the exact dimensions and materials are to pass final judgement. I am cautiously optimistic. UA has been making notable improvements.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by bocastephen
This thread is like screaming for a box of chocolates, and then when we get it, start screaming that it isn't Godiva. We are not Godiva clientele, we are See's clientele, and for that reason, this new product is actually better than we could hope for.
Depending on who you are talking to, Godiva just poses as high-end chocolate but is extremely commoditized. Give me Laderach any day

That said, your point is well-taken and on point. What I would furthermore add is that UA clearly is moving away from GF (which is more spacious)...clearly they want to maximize the density at the front of the plane while still offering a product that provides for everything flyers want / expect when flying in J. On this, it does seem like they have delivered.

Obviously, the test will come when we can actually try the seats for ourselves. As someone who is 5'6", I won't be complaining one bit about the space, but I do hope that the footwells are a little wider than the sCO ones, which are a bit on the narrow side.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Chances are the seats will be so narrow as to be claustrophobic. I don't understand why anyone, given the choice, would fly this configuration over American or most foreign airlines. It's not like the service and food make up for the discomfort.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 11:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by wripro
Chances are the seats will be so narrow as to be claustrophobic.
On what are you basing this prediction?
Old Mar 12, 2016, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
I don't understand why anyone, given the choice, would fly this configuration over American or most foreign airlines. It's not like the service and food make up for the discomfort.
The "why" is quite simple.

United flies where I have to go, when I have to get there, non-stop almost anywhere, from a hub that's ~25 minutes from my home.

Those factors alone mean that I don't even bother considering other airlines.

I'm a domestic road warrior - for the few times a year (max) that I fly a leisure route internationally, it'll be on United.

There may be some minor nits (and, truly, the layout of the tray table is a minor nit) that I could spend hours cross-comparing, but it's just not worth the time or trouble.

United's BF product is good enough for me. I'm happy with it, happy with the service, and they give me zero reason to look elsewhere. I know what I'm getting, and it's OK with me.

Guess I'm just not sophisticated enough, but the simplicity of my life by consolidating on a single airline is worth a lot more to me than whether it's this-or-that crappy wine mid-flight.

I'm just a simpleton, I guess.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Chances are the seats will be so narrow as to be claustrophobic. I don't understand why anyone, given the choice, would fly this configuration over American or most foreign airlines. It's not like the service and food make up for the discomfort.
As dmurphynj explained, why anyone is dependent on multiple factors. For me, if someone's paying my ticket, I wouldn't mind getting some 11x RDM in return. In addition, I value WiFi much more than the seat, something that top notch CX/SQ/NH don't have or priced out of the world.

Also schedule and having pre-check on UA are also trade-offs I rather have than book a cook. But there are choices and everyone has their own preferences.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by hirohito888
As dmurphynj In addition, I value WiFi much more than the seat, something that top notch CX/SQ/NH don't have or priced out of the world.
Just so you know NH and SQ have wifi now - and yes it's more expensive (but not ridiculous) than UA is now and they do limit total data - but it's really fast and works reliably. IIRC paid $12.99 from HKG to NRT and had zero issues - but I wasn't trying to stream a movie or anything...
Old Mar 12, 2016, 11:53 am

Do folks think that this new configuration will make it on to the 789s that were subbed in, along with 77Ws, for the 787-10 order?
Old Mar 12, 2016, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SPLITTERZ
This is probably the configuration for the domestic 777s that will be reconfigured soon."
I doubt it, more likely to use IPTE retreads on the 777 Domestic.

Originally Posted by sbm12
On what are you basing this prediction?
The existing claustrophobic LFBF window seats plus the diagram of the supposed new seats would get you there.

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Do folks think that this new configuration will make it on to the 789s that were subbed in, along with 77Ws, for the 787-10 order?
It's hard to believe they'd continue installing the decade-old product they're doing now, but this looks like it would be very tight on a 787; even BA's much maligned config is only 7 abreast there. Also they may be resource limited on the certification side and choose to prioritize the 77W seat before the 787 seat.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 1:58 pm

I guess I'd ask all the UA apologists here if the UA new J was so good why the need to defend/justify/explain why we should all be happy with what is not only an inferior product today - but will be for the next decade?

The folks here on FT are tough and demanding customers I'll give you that - but that doesn't mean they are wrong - UA has chosen its course - High density low value - just accept it for what it is and stop trying to make it seem competitive - it's clearly NOT.... So now not only is soft product inferior - so is hard product - hard to justify those facts....
Old Mar 12, 2016, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I guess I'd ask all the UA apologists here if the UA new J was so good why the need to defend/justify/explain why we should all be happy with what is not only an inferior product today - but will be for the next decade?

The folks here on FT are tough and demanding customers I'll give you that - but that doesn't mean they are wrong - UA has chosen its course - High density low value - just accept it for what it is and stop trying to make it seem competitive - it's clearly NOT.... So now not only is soft product inferior - so is hard product - hard to justify those facts....
I don't think folks are being apologists - I would venture to say that all of us here are purely speculating on a leaked FA map, as well as guesses as to what the setup will be based on publicly available schematics. As I said earlier, I don't have an issue with the layout and density, but if it's a rock-hard lie-flat? Yeah, then it would be a problem.

It comes down to what people are valuing from it. If you want more private space, I doubt this is going to satisfy folks. But I don't care about having an excessive/more-than-necessary amount of personal space, along with space to store every last thing...I care if it's comfortable. And I imagine that for people who are saying that it looks good now - their opinion will change if they try the hard product and it's like sleeping on wooden slats.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I don't think folks are being apologists - I would venture to say that all of us here are purely speculating on a leaked FA map, as well as guesses as to what the setup will be based on publicly available schematics. As I said earlier, I don't have an issue with the layout and density, but if it's a rock-hard lie-flat? Yeah, then it would be a problem.

It comes down to what people are valuing from it. If you want more private space, I doubt this is going to satisfy folks. But I don't care about having an excessive/more-than-necessary amount of personal space, along with space to store every last thing...I care if it's comfortable.
Totally get that - but we aren't evaluating the latest inflight meal - this is a decade long strategic decision - and one that's not even potentially competitive in today's market - imagine how it will be years from now.... When your current transcontinental product is arguably better than your future international business offering I think those that challenge that decision are Justifed....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.