Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is this United's new business class layout?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this United's new business class layout?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Totally get that - but we aren't evaluating the latest inflight meal - this is a decade long strategic decision - and one that's not even potentially competitive in today's market - imagine how it will be years from now.... When your current transcontinental product is arguably better than your future international business offering I think those that challenge that decision are Justifed....
^ The unfortunate part about this is that it will be a symbolic reminder of Smisek for years to come. No doubt he played a role in the high density, low value decision. By the time he left, this train had left the station. Was really hoping we were going to see a reverse herringbone product that would sort of span the divide between C and F. Clearly that won't be happening. Should have known better.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
^ The unfortunate part about this is that it will be a symbolic reminder of Smisek for years to come. No doubt he played a role in the high density, low value decision. By the time he left, this train had left the station. Was really hoping we were going to see a reverse herringbone product that would sort of span the divide between C and F. Clearly that won't be happening. Should have known better.
Regardless of who it's attributed to there is always time to stop a stupid decision - if UA continues with this they can kiss goodbye any premium international traffic - it's really that simple.... However if UA wants to be the international version of southwest then so be it - just don't see how that is a winning long term strategy - bc clearly it's not.....
Old Mar 12, 2016, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Regardless of who it's attributed to there is always time to stop a stupid decision - if UA continues with this they can kiss goodbye any premium international traffic - it's really that simple.... However if UA wants to be the international version of southwest then so be it - just don't see how that is a winning long term strategy - bc clearly it's not.....
Agreed. Though for the initial 10 77W, the train had probably left by the time he departed.

I hope those that pay for J (and F) and are disappointed by this, make their feelings known to the right folks at UA.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA, HA
re 1-2-1 vs 2-4-2. This feels like the [overly-]clever distinctions that cropped up around Lie Flat seating (true lie flat? angled lie flat?). Once again UA aren't really blazing a pioneer track, but I happen to think that this new scheme has more benefits than the old 2-4-2. Good discussion above about the unexpected/ill-defined complications this new patter will engender. Me: all-aisle access, true lie flat, probably more award/upgrade seats = +1 ^
Old Mar 12, 2016, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush
re 1-2-1 vs 2-4-2. This feels like the [overly-]clever distinctions that cropped up around Lie Flat seating (true lie flat? angled lie flat?). Once again UA aren't really blazing a pioneer track, but I happen to think that this new scheme has more benefits than the old 2-4-2. Good discussion above about the unexpected/ill-defined complications this new patter will engender. Me: all-aisle access, true lie flat, probably more award/upgrade seats = +1 ^
Honestly hope your perspective plays out - but IMO it will not - not only do I think thete will be less upgrade space but I believe that their current domestic upgrade paradigm will be impelented globally - which means a kettle will get a $199 offer for J to Europe while a 1k dies On The uograde list for 20k miles and copay....
Old Mar 12, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: AS 100K
i'm excited for the new J product. I really do hope they do better job with the colors they'll use of the seat shells/fabrics. The 787 J cabin looks sooooo boring and plain, dark blue everywhere! I small touch of gold/yellow here and there will do a lot to lighen up a drab cabin.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 3:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
i'm excited for the new J product. I really do hope they do better job with the colors they'll use of the seat shells/fabrics. The 787 J cabin looks sooooo boring and plain, dark blue everywhere! I small touch of gold/yellow here and there will do a lot to lighen up a drab cabin.
I don't think there's much of an issue with the current cabin but they should change the colors an bit yes.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by atcanobbio
As with UA and any other business - hope is not a winning strategy....
Old Mar 12, 2016, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
I don't think there's much of an issue with the current cabin but they should change the colors an bit yes.
I have to say that I did dig seeing the orange Bronco colors on the chartered UA plane to the Super Bowl...maybe they should incorporate that?
Old Mar 12, 2016, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I have to say that I did dig seeing the orange Bronco colors on the chartered UA plane to the Super Bowl...maybe they should incorporate that?
Honestly / don't care if Austin powers does the color scheme / give me a proper lie flat seat and i don't care if it's lime on chartreuse / yeah baby!
Old Mar 12, 2016, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Honestly / don't care if Austin powers does the color scheme / give me a proper lie flat seat and i don't care if it's lime on chartreuse / yeah baby!
As far as I'm concerned, as long as the seat is well padded and long enough, they can stick with the boring CO colors.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush
probably more award/upgrade seats
Despite this being repeated, I think this is delusion. Replacing 12F+52J 744s with 60J 77Ws isn't going to increase premium cabin award availability.

If anything it will decrease it, since the F product was hard to sell/an easy award (or upgrade) on many routes and it's gone now.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 4:32 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by bocastephen
This thread is like screaming for a box of chocolates, and then when we get it, start screaming that it isn't Godiva. We are not Godiva clientele, we are See's clientele, and for that reason, this new product is actually better than we could hope for.
Lindt. Godiva is not good chocolate. Source: I'm Swiss, and know about chocolate.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
Agreed. Though for the initial 10 77W, the train had probably left by the time he departed.

I hope those that pay for J (and F) and are disappointed by this, make their feelings known to the right folks at UA.
I have let them know I am excited to see what's coming.

I did not want to see a rehash of the circa 2007 Thompson that's on the Delta 777s.

Nor did I want the poor compromise AA put in its 777s and 787s where we get rear facing seats and this foot room:

https://i0.wp.com/www.runwaygirlnetw...mie-Fegley.jpg

It's quite telling AA didn't put the 777-300 biz product on its 777-200s, which are the backbone of the fleet.

With UA we're getting a better business class than any of the ME3 in a 777.

Would I like what Etihad and Emirates have on their A380s? Sure, but that's an airframe issue. They don't have those seats on their 777s.

By the way, does anyone know what seat American will go with when it restarts the 777-200 retrofits? They had to abandon their choice 6 months ago because of Zodiac issues and I haven't seen any update.

https://www.runwaygirlnetwork.com/20...hronic-delays/

Wonder if they end up with a seat like UA, or get something less optimal because of the last minute change.

Of course, I say it's 50/50 the UA seat even comes on time given what's going on with suppliers...
Old Mar 12, 2016, 6:10 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by sbm12
Yes, it is. At least as far as direct aisle access is concerned.

Everyone has direct aisle access. It is a slightly customized version of the layout TG, EK, EY & OZ use in C for their A380s. I'm sure others have similar, too, but those are the ones I know off hand.

And, FWIW, this lines up with the UA 77W LOPA layout which I first reported about nearly a year ago showing the 10-abreast Y config.

Not close to EK 380, have six flights in them and not even close

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.