Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is this United's new business class layout?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this United's new business class layout?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by EWR764
Based on some hints and feedback from posters elsewhere, I believe we are looking at a derivative of the Acumen Optima concept... if true, I suspect it might change some peoples' minds about the undesirability of the proposed product.

http://thedesignsoc.com/acumen-desig...ating-concept/
Looks more like 2-4-2 with 100% aisle access, than a true 1-2-1 layout. To me, the most important things in a J seat are flatbed, aisle access, and storage space. Those pictures appear to meet the first two criteria, but appear to be lacking in storage space.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Ikr very disappointing but I guess it's okay when these foreign airlines have 2x4x2 seating in J smh.
But foreign carriers have F. AA and DL have 1-2-1. Even Azul has our 1-2-1!

You can spin it how you'd like, but this is not a competitive product today, and certainly won't be competitive 5 years from now.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 10:31 am

If these schematics are similar to the actual seat I'm all for it. I'd much rather have 60 of these all aisle access than 42 of the style Thai has that people are comparing them to. Much better chance for reasonable pricing/award availability/ and upgrades clearing.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by villox
that the table would be difficult to use while sitting fully up. Sorta have to reach behind you..
Same as mini bucket/table next to my ear in the current J seat is easy to reach? As a not-flexible, long armed, goofy dude I have to dislocate my shoulder to plug in headphones!
Old Mar 11, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by 747200f
Much better chance for reasonable pricing/award availability/ and upgrades clearing.
And this is the problem. UA is going to lose high yield tickets with these seats.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Austin787
Looks more like 2-4-2 with 100% aisle access, than a true 1-2-1 layout. To me, the most important things in a J seat are flatbed, aisle access, and storage space. Those pictures appear to meet the first two criteria, but appear to be lacking in storage space.
Looks like the place where the martini glass is could be a storage bin which would be nice.

Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
And this is the problem. UA is going to lose high yield tickets with these seats.
They lost them a long time ago minus maybe those who purchased Global First seats (but doesn't seem like there's many of them).
Old Mar 11, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Tblack15
Same as mini bucket/table next to my ear in the current J seat is easy to reach? As a not-flexible, long armed, goofy dude I have to dislocate my shoulder to plug in headphones!
Ugh. Yes, I hate that. Taking that seat to DEL tomorrow. I always knock my headphones loose. But at least on those seats you still have somewhere to set your drink. These seats as pictured require you to put it behind you. Though actually, from the other angle it doesn't look as bad:

Old Mar 11, 2016, 10:48 am

I don't think they'll lose people over these seats. If they in fact put them in EWR to do TLV/HKG/DEL/BOM/PVG thats an extra 10 seats than they sell now and they won't have a hard time filling them. I don't see what the fuss is about, not climbing over someone or being climbed over has been my biggest beef with the current seats, along with the small footwells. If they went 1-2-1 like DAL for example they wouldn't get close to 60 in there. In Fact, DAL has only 34 in their new A330-300's they are currently taking delivery of.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
I don't think they'll lose people over these seats. If they in fact put them in EWR to do TLV/HKG/DEL/BOM/PVG thats an extra 10 seats than they sell now and they won't have a hard time filling them. I don't see what the fuss is about, not climbing over someone or being climbed over has been my biggest beef with the current seats, along with the small footwells. If they went 1-2-1 like DAL for example they wouldn't get close to 60 in there. In Fact, DAL has only 34 in their new A330-300's they are currently taking delivery of.
UA struggles to sell what it has now - I don't see how increasing density is going to help.... The SQ seat is nearly a meter wide - the NH business staggered product offers amazing privacy and comfort - I will pay $7k for those products - but not likely to pay for this one... Unless UA prices this more like PE it's hard to see this working out well I the competitor world of premium business travel - or perhaps UA just sees something no one else does....

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Mar 11, 2016 at 11:01 am
Old Mar 11, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by villox
Though actually, from the other angle it doesn't look as bad:
Yes, this angle doesn't look bad.. definitely a "right arm reach across your body" move though.. no way my left is making that swing!
Old Mar 11, 2016, 11:12 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Tblack15
Yes, this angle doesn't look bad.. definitely a "right arm reach across your body" move though.. no way my left is making that swing!
The seats closest to the window will be so much more desirable from both a privacy and usability standpoint.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 11:15 am

If these schematics are similar to the actual seat I'm all for it. I'd much rather have 60 of these all aisle access than 42 of the style Thai has that people are comparing them to. Much better chance for reasonable pricing/award availability/ and upgrades clearing.
Don't assume better award/upgrade availability anymore. Those days are over.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 11:20 am

But foreign carriers have F. AA and DL have 1-2-1. Even Azul has our 1-2-1!

You can spin it how you'd like, but this is not a competitive product today, and certainly won't be competitive 5 years from now.
Not spinning it that's what Spin88 does. I am simply pointing out the fact that people on this website like to complain about freaking thing. And funny how people are complaining about a seat that hasn't even been unveiled yet. And for the record a traditional 1x2x1 wasn't going to work with the seat count UA is going with. This new configuration gives all aisle access and yet still people complain can't say I'm surprised this is FT after land of complaint central.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EWR764
Based on some hints and feedback from posters elsewhere, I believe we are looking at a derivative of the Acumen Optima concept... if true, I suspect it might change some peoples' minds about the undesirability of the proposed product.
I suspect you are correct. That looks a bit tighter than say, CX J, but in some ways more private, particularly at the window.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 11:22 am
Suspended

The defining factor is not "aisle-access" but "serving access".
A simple test will tell you if the layout is 1-2-1 or 2-4-2: "CAN THE FA SERVE YOU WITHOUT HANGING OVER THE PERSON NEXT TO YOU??"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.