Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is this United's new business class layout?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this United's new business class layout?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:59 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by lenscap
The new seat looks a lot like the Recaro CL6710, introduced in 2014:

http://www.aircraftinteriorsinternat...p?NewsID=63589

http://en.recaro-as.com/products/bus...ss/cl6710.html

http://en.recaro-as.com/press/press-...ro-cl6710.html

"The efficiency of the CL6710 can be measured in figures. The ratio 1 to 1.8 is Recaro’s formula for success. The key number reflects the ratio of pitch to bed length in the new business class seat CL6710. With a seat pitch of 46 inches, Recaro can provide a bed length of up to 82 inches – and thus makes optimal use of the available space. In this way Recaro creates a win-win-situation for passengers who enjoy maximum living space, as well as for airlines who can use their cabins efficiently."

I wonder if this is, in fact, the seat.
Close, but it would appear that the center and window seats of the UA configuration are not angled.

I think this is a custom job.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 7:01 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
PriestmanGoode designed the UA's domestic First seat. My guess is that this company is also responsible for the BF seats that are speculating in this thread. http://www.priestmangoode.com/project/united-airlines/
Old Mar 11, 2016, 7:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by EWR764
I think this is a custom job.
Nearly all "custom" seats are based on a legacy product line. It makes certification and manufacturing massively easier.
Originally Posted by Kmxu
PriestmanGoode designed the UA's domestic First seat. My guess is that this company is also responsible for the BF seats that are speculating in this thread.
But they're not the manufacturer.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Overall, I am cautiously optimistic. It is better than anything UA has to offer now.

I am just hoping the current 787 in the fleet will get the new seats earlier than later. Considering UA is using 787 on some of the longer routes in the system, it is not that attractive/comfortanle to fly in the curretn seats.

Hope the new 787 to be delivered will have the new seats.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
To me, this looks like a good configuration if you're flying alone, but absolutely terrible if you're traveling with someone else. And since I never travel alone...
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Curious as to your thoughts behind this. From the diagram, it would seem that the center pairs (DG) are pretty ideal for couples.
I agree those DG seats are great for couples or family traveling together, but imagine you get stuck there with a stranger.....not too pleasant considering how how close and the facing angles. At least in the two middle seats of the 2-4-2, the facing angle is straight forward.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I agree those DG seats are great for couples or family traveling together, but imagine you get stuck there with a stranger.....not too pleasant considering how how close and the facing angles. At least in the two middle seats of the 2-4-2, the facing angle is straight forward.
It would not be any worse than the current sCO 2-2-2 BF seating that many people love.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
Nearly all "custom" seats are based on a legacy product line. It makes certification and manufacturing massively easier.
I understand that... but the layout is not immediately identifiable as one of the 'standard' business class seat models from any of the major manufacturers. The closest I can come up with is a space-optimized variant of the Solstys configuration.

It may be a situation like the B/E Diamond, where the seat architecture was primarily developed to CO specs as the launch customer and became a base model for a major manufacturer.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
This is what I would expect of refresh for a 3-cabin J product. The fact that this is going to be UA's flagship product is...incredibly disappointing.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
This is nothing even close to the 1-2-1 we've been picturing.
Certainly not what I was expecting / hoping for.

But then I remind myself this was layout is the work of the same people who brought us FreshBrew, and it all makes perfect sense.

Passengers will be complaining about this layout, and the lack of personal space, for a decade to come.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Looks similar to the British Airways J seat, where every seat has aisle access. Hopefully there will be privacy shields.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Austin787
Looks similar to the British Airways J seat, where every seat has aisle access. Hopefully there will be privacy shields.
Was thinking the same thing.

If this is indeed the best UA will offer on international flights, I may stick with UA domestically to make GS but use LH and other *A for intl.

If only DL would make DL 360 more similar to GS...
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Austin787
Not exactly, as in the BA CW product, when the aisle seat is fully reclined, the 'footrest' will impede aisle access for window/center seats. So it still requires some gymnastics to get out and cannot be considered 'true' direct-aisle-aisle access. For reference, BA CW accommodates 32 seats in A-zone of the 777, so a fair bit denser.

All indications are that this arrangement will provide unrestricted aisle access for every seat.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
Was thinking the same thing.

If this is indeed the best UA will offer on international flights, I may stick with UA domestically to make GS but use LH and other *A for intl.

If only DL would make DL 360 more similar to GS...
Sounds like UA has calculated well then. Those LH flights are revenue neutral for them thanks to the JV.

This is very different than BA J though.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
This is very different than BA J though.
Yes, unlike BA, all the seats face one direction and there appears to be true direct aisle access (no step-over).

But the actual layout of bodies in a modified 2-4-2 seems to be pretty similar.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:41 am

The spin really needs to stop. We're seeing UA evolve to basically be competitive with international LLC. Azul has a more competitive international J product than anything UA currently has, and likely will have if this layout is correct.

And yet on United Airtime we see things like:
Q: Is United's plan still to convert Boeing 767-300s to a two-class configuration?
A: The feedback we’ve received from corporate customers dictates that an industry-leading business class cabin is more desirable than a traditional first class cabin. We will be converting all of our Boeing 767-300 aircraft to a two-class configuration – United BusinessFirst and Economy – to meet these needs.

United BusinessFirst offers a superior business-class service. We are listening to the needs of our customers globally and responding with new interiors from nose to tail, including flatbed seats and upgraded entertainment. BusinessFirst amenities include laptop power, USB ports, noise-reduction headsets, amenity kits featuring Cowshed brand skin-care products, duvet-style blankets and a multi-course meal with complimentary wines.

Seriously, adding a 10 year old seat to a 30 year old plane is NOT industry leading. UA's best customers are not stupid, and can see right through this.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:45 am

Hilarious that people already hate the seat based on a FA seat layout.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.