Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is this United's new business class layout?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this United's new business class layout?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2016, 11:03 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Michael D

How many thousand of dollars will one pay for this enhanced service?
Ask SQ or check their Annual Report

But seriously - if it is EY-type configuration, it might be a good product. I guess we need to wait for pictures to fully assess.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 11:27 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by cova
Seems like UA's biggest competition is AA - and AA's 77W is 1-2-1 with a total of 16 seats in this same space (8F and 8J) versus UA 28J seats in this space.
A more appropriate comparison would be AA's retrofit 772, which has 21 seats in A-zone, but with lavatories, closets and galley units between doors 1 and 2. The rumored UA configuration has 28 seats in A zone, but it would appear that all lavatories are fore and aft of the doors, with only two galley units in the center section and closets in the "dead" space at the first and last rows of the cabin.

For what it's worth, I find AA's now-discontinued 787/retrofit 777 J seats to be unpleasantly narrow at shoulder level, and not as spacious or comfortable as the Cirrus-style seats on the 77W. There is also significant wasted space in both configurations that I think this rumored UA design seeks to eliminate.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Exactly as many as Air France is fitting in its 777s with new seats - 28 seats forward of door 2 - the very same cabin space:

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air..._777-200_C.php....
A few tall people in the middle will be playing footsie all night with this layout.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 11:59 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by bocastephen
A few tall people in the middle will be playing footsie all night with this layout.
There is a partition along the middle, you won't be able to make contact with the other side, unlike LH seats.

Exactly as many as Air France is fitting in its 777s with new seats - 28 seats forward of door 2 - the very same cabin space:

This is no more dense than that layout. 28 seats.

UA could have gone with that Air France seat and had the same cost benefits.

I get the sense they wanted do something more innovative with other parts of the seat, and offer some passengers more privacy than that layout. Something we will see when renderings are revealed and the prototypes are shown.
Good point, 28 J seats between 1L and 2L means they'll need to put lav+32 J seats after 2L. There's not a lot of room left for the 11 rows of E+ and 20 rows of E- (110/196 seats).

AC 77W has same seats and fits 26 seats between 1L and 2L. I'm quite certain that if UA installed the same seats and keeping 306Y, it would be less than 60J...
Old Mar 13, 2016, 1:17 pm

Yes.

No direct aisle access from the windows + a middle seat in the mid section = 2 strikes.

Etihad has a better business seat on its 777s than Emirates, hands down.

And they fit exactly 28 seats in J on a 773.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Eti..._777-300ER.php

We're getting a newer version of this from United.

We're talking 777 configs here, not A380s.
We are all getting drunk on the direct aisle access thing. It is not the last stop when it comes to seats, believe me.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by tuolumne
We are all getting drunk on the direct aisle access thing. It is not the last stop when it comes to seats, believe me.
True, but could you imagine the uproar if it were leaked that the forthcoming United J product did not have direct aisle access for every seat? It would make this discussion look overwhelmingly positive.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
True, but could you imagine the uproar if it were leaked that the forthcoming United J product did not have direct aisle access for every seat? It would make this discussion look overwhelmingly positive.
I know, but compared to Bentley-quilted, refrigerated, 23" HD seats...? All little dirty tricks from direct-govt-subsidy-EK, but compared to any western carrier? Even I have to say, yeah right!
Old Mar 13, 2016, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
But EK's product is 2-3-2 without direct aisle access. What about that is "nice" in this context?
Good seat width and usable space. No side-tables behind your shoulder or beyond your knees like LFBF or this proposed UA config.

Originally Posted by cova
Seems like UA's biggest competition is AA - and AA's 77W is 1-2-1 with a total of 16 seats in this same space (8F and 8J) versus UA 28J seats in this space.
A poor comparison due to the size of the F seats and the inefficient transition for 2 rows of J. Also note variations in lav/galley/closet configuration.

We are all getting drunk on the direct aisle access thing.
+1 ^

I don't care at all about aisle access. I like the window and get up 0-1 times per flight.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by 747200f
If these schematics are similar to the actual seat I'm all for it. I'd much rather have 60 of these all aisle access than 42 of the style Thai has that people are comparing them to. Much better chance for reasonable pricing/award availability/ and upgrades clearing.
Product be damned...let's just let more people feel special by putting them in something for which they are unable or unwilling to spend. Ludicrous.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
To Europe would be VS, AF, KL, LH, BA, IB, LO, OS, AZ and a couple others.
"couple others' - do you mean AA and DL out of NYC (JFK)? I would think AA and DL would be UA's biggest competition. You said NYC (not EWR).
Old Mar 13, 2016, 2:29 pm

I know, but compared to Bentley-quilted, refrigerated, 23" HD seats...? All little dirty tricks from direct-govt-subsidy-EK, but compared to any western carrier? Even I have to say, yeah right!
Not that costly, and in fact over the long run probably less so. It's the same seat bones as the current IPTE seat - they're adding finishes on 10 year old seats. Those center consoles will be familiar to any UA flier.

And UA, AA or DL would be able to fit more seats in the cabin with that EK config than their own new J setups - so it's actually a lower CASM setup.

No govt subsidy needed to do that.

The A380...

A whole other game.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
It sure seems there are a wide variety of definitions of 1-2-1 in here. Some have used row numbers as a definition. Some have used criteria such as if a flight attendant can serve you without reaching over another person. Some have used direct aisle access. The notion of how many seats across is a very grey definition it seems. If you draw a straight line across the cabin, how many does it intersect? In this case, even the carriers with the so-called definition of "true 1-2-1" have overlap with footwells.

The way I look at it (not defining by any means): The "-" in the 1-2-1 or 2-4-2 or 2-2-2 always meant where the aisles are. That goes back to early CRS system design such as Apollo and Sabre. Yes, every seat has aisle access in this set up. Then you have row numbers. Since looking at this top down view of a cabin mock up, I could not imagine they would give two seats on the window and the four in the middle the same row number. It would be entirely too confusing for any passenger. So now you have 7-8 rows in the A zone. Looks like 1-2-1 to me, but a modified version. But only modified from the first few carriers that chose a layout like this for J. And we will really know for sure how it compares once someone has actually sat in one of these seats.

But I suppose its more popular to complain about things on here. SMH
Old Mar 13, 2016, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by hirohito888
There is a partition along the middle, you won't be able to make contact with the other side, unlike LH seats.

Good point, 28 J seats between 1L and 2L means they'll need to put lav+32 J seats after 2L. There's not a lot of room left for the 11 rows of E+ and 20 rows of E- (110/196 seats).

AC 77W has same seats and fits 26 seats between 1L and 2L. I'm quite certain that if UA installed the same seats and keeping 306Y, it would be less than 60J...
AC has a pseudo premium economy section with 9 across, and UA has 1 less lav in coach.

You can see the full UA layout here

http://www.briansumers.com/home/is-t...eing-777-300er

J extends well past the wing, with only 4 rows of coach ahead of 3L.

UA makes coach suffer more to accomplish it with 10 across all the way through and the missing lav. Again, they could have gone with the same seats as AC/AF and had the same seat count.

Interesting they manage to put 2 lavs forward of door 1L...that will be an interesting squeeze.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 2:47 pm

Interesting they manage to put 2 lavs forward of door 1L...that will be an interesting squeeze.
It should be fine... pilot rest has been relocated to the upper lobe above A-zone, so the two bunks that occupy this space in the sCO 777s are redundant. The sUA 777s have a lav in the forwardmost position, which is slightly smaller, and a large closet just aft. The closet is relocated inboard where the second lav is currently on sUA 777s, and will replaced which a deeper, possibly handicapped-accessible lav unit on the 77W.

I know pilots will appreciate this configuration, as they are critical of the sCO 777 and 764 layouts which require working crewmembers (i.e., not on break) to traverse at least part of the passenger cabin to use the restroom.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 3:03 pm

To me, the acid test is foot room -- the older lie flat configs tend to have smallish, triangular spaces for the feet, which for me becomes very cramped (I have long legs and big feet!). Will the foot space in these new seats be wide/rectangular, or tapered/triangular?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.