Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is this United's new business class layout?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this United's new business class layout?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by spin88
VA did not have a first class, it had PE, Business, and Economy. Its "Business" product "Upper Class" was a hyrbrid that was more true first class than business.

United however went to lie flat in Business while still having a very good First Class. At the time the product clearly was leading (BA being the only other one I can think of with lie flat in Business and a true first class product).

Back in 2012-13 the defenders here used to tout how UA did not need to compete on soft product as its hard product was so much better in J. But the times, they be changing....

As I noted earlier, if this product avoids the footwell issues (on the sCO product) and the narrowness of the sUA product, and has good padding, I think it will do ok. No one will write about how the product is great, but it can be sold (due to more density) at a lower price to corporate accounts and at discount. That may realistically be UAs market at this point. United is in no way a leading airline at this point.

However, as OALs continue to improve their product, having "middling" product will cost UA more and more of its high value traffic (those paying for full fare J), and if this seat is not big enough in length and width, it will not work out well given how UA lags in other aspects of the travel experience.
Yes, VA had no first class and developed a hybrid, as was also true with CO, which coined the phrase "BusinessFirst" an oxymoron and confusing to most consumers. Let us not forget that today's United is for most intents and purposes, more CO than UA. VA's marketing of "Upper Class" was brilliant, even with chauffeur service and PJ's on over night flights. At least their hybrid actually delivered on many of the touches people want from the first class experience.

Last edited by transportbiz; Mar 15, 2016 at 10:47 pm
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingPhD
This Recaro seat (CL6710) does also look very similar
https://youtu.be/vIkbqQcXFeU
The CL6710 might actually be a more refined version of the exact same seat as I mention in my original post.

It seems that Recaro actually worked with Acumen to develop their CL6710 seat, and it is based on the layout of the Optima. They talk about Recaro "refining Acumen's concept into an actual product offering" in their press release. It will be interesting to see who ends up manufacturing the seat that United selects. However, in the design notes for the Optima/Viva seat case study it is stated that the Acumen design group holds the actual patent to the staggered layout that was posted initially in this thread. Press release here:

https://acumen-da.com/news-item/reca...d-with-acumen/

Personally, I do like that the CL6710 includes moveable armrests and the motorized footrest that the Optima/Viva concept lacks. Also, the placement of the table makes it seem like it would feel more like a true 1-2-1 than the original Viva concept.

Last edited by blahmeh14; Mar 15, 2016 at 11:49 pm
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by scnzzz
The word "narrow" springs to mind...
And poorly padded.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
The above two quotes from the designer tell you all you need to know about this new 'premium' product.

Not only is it the most high density seat of its class, but it is "such" a high density cabin.
And the patent of the AA 777-200/787 seat headlines itself as "high density"

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20150336674.pdf

While the old 2010 Cirrus materials talked about

"the seat can be positioned at a high density 43” pitch Business
Class product or alternatively Cirrus can be positioned as a more luxurious 54” pitch Business First type product.” "

http://www.jpadesign.com/_press/Crys...wards_2010.pdf

Reality is the AA 787 / 777-200 2 cabin seats are high density as are those on the AF 2 cabin 777s - all with the vaunted Cirrus base, but in the 'high density' option. UA is not breaking much ground here other than choosing a circa 2015 rather than 2009 design base.

Want really high density?

Try 37 seats in zone A of a 777

http://news.formationdesign.com/wp-c...oncept_r31.pdf

Or the 32 BA fits in zone A of its 777

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Bri...777-200B_2.php

My tests will be seat cushion and elbow room. I am one of the rare people who uses the armrest lowering function but am always surprised at how few people do.

For me, the Cirrus on AA is not an outstanding product, but there isn't much choice in biz on US carriers. Delta's A330 config with 24 seats in the smaller A330 zone A is also clearly the high density version of the Cirrus.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by blahmeh14
For a visual reference, here is the picture I was talking about in my original post of the designers sitting in the mock-up:

http://imgur.com/gSKF5qJ
Looks like he has to sleep on his side as there is no room for shoulders if laying flat. In some of the other pictures, the seat narrowing at the top looks quite pronounced.

Still difficult to fully grasp the overall feel of the seat from static pics.

Kudos on tracking down these details.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 5:15 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by blahmeh14
For a visual reference, here is the picture I was talking about in my original post of the designers sitting in the mock-up:

http://imgur.com/gSKF5qJ
Yikes...that guy in the first picture does not look comfortable at all...
Old Mar 16, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Yikes...that guy in the first picture does not look comfortable at all...
This looks like it could have potential for E+ on EK or SQ. But it should be fine for Smisek's Business Class.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I wouldn't put a great deal of stock in any mockups as an ironclad predictor of how the customer-finished product will look, especially in terms of cushion firmness, retractable armrests, partitions, etc. These reflect more of a proof-of-concept than a refined production seat.

I still am skeptical that the Recaro CL6710 is the new seat. For starters, it lacks the inline center/window seats of the proposed UA layout and retains the same wasted 'walkway' between the outboard aisle seats and sidewall that is inherent to the Solstys-type arrangement. This 'lost' square footage (a significant volume in a large cabin) is exactly what Acumen was seeking to eliminate, or make more useful, with its concept cabins. Perhaps Recaro is the manufacturer using the Acumen Optima/Viva patent on license, but I believe the Acumen design and renderings most closely presage what we'll - eventually - see United announce.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Hasn't anyone here been one of the many test focus groups on this seat? They would know for sure what's it all about (I realize they'd break a non-disclosure though). The guy laying on his side looks horribly uncomfortable to me, also, any length of time (more than 2 hours) in that position will cause nerve pinching and circulatory issues in the shoulders, arms, and hands. The body will send pain signals about this, in order do effect a re-position...normally we can do this in our sleep, but in such cramped quarters, you'll probably wake up in the attempt. I actually, think what UA will succeed in selling with this product is Premium Economy OAL's.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by transportbiz
Yes, VA had no first class and developed a hybrid, as was also true with CO, which coined the phrase "BusinessFirst" an oxymoron and confusing to most consumers.
Let's be honest, CO's Business"First" was never a hybrid. It was always a J product that CO somehow tricked their hub-captive customers into thinking it was a hybrid.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
As someone who just flew on a 747 in GF, boy those seats will be missed. I forgot how nice and comfy those seats were. Ya, they have a small screen, but boy were those things comfy and my 6 foot frame fit perfectly well.

If the investigating reporting in this thread is correct, those seats look to be worse than the current BF seat sUA or sCO have. If this is correct, I would rather they don't change the seats.

FYI, at first I agreed that I was ok with this new config, but if the pictures mean anything, which they don't, then this will be a bad decision.

Hoping this is not the seat shown on the previous posts..
Old Mar 16, 2016, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
Let's be honest, CO's Business"First" was never a hybrid. It was always a J product that CO somehow tricked their hub-captive customers into thinking it was a hybrid.
Not fair. Fact is the BF service at CO, when first introduced, was leaps ahead of J class on most carriers. Much nice recliner seat than what BA, UA, AA or even VS offered. Food service was never served on a tray, much more like First Class service on 3 cabin airlines. The only area where they really suffered was lounges (which has always been the case with US carriers)

Generally a smaller cabin too.

It was absolutely a hybrid when it was introduced nearly 20 years ago. And even later, blew way anything that DL, AC, or VS offered in terms of service. CO was late to the lie flat game, which made the BF service much more difficult to differentiate with other carriers who introduced flat beds in Business Class, despite better service levels.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by airzim
It was absolutely a hybrid when it was introduced nearly 20 years ago. And even later, blew way anything that DL, AC, or VS offered in terms of service. CO was late to the lie flat game, which made the BF service much more difficult to differentiate with other carriers who introduced flat beds in Business Class, despite better service levels.
Around the time of the merger, perhaps a few years before, the BF cabin became a frequent target of cost cuts, degrading what previously had been a quality service to a lowest-common-denominator assembly line product. Meanwhile competitors were progressively raising their game in terms of business class soft product, an area in which CO used to excel.

United's current, dated BF product is firmly within the realm of business classes (a solid one, however), and even if it refreshes aspects of the service, it would be completely out of character, and not at all cost-effective, for United to attempt to exceed the business class service standards adopted by many carriers it competes with. I think the best we can hope for, at this point, is a soft product that compares with DeltaONE... and I'm not optimistic we will see that level of investment.

That's why I think UA should drop the BF nomenclature. It's clunky and a vestige of a bygone era. Time for the company to streamline its product offering and begin to differentiate from its precursors.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
The pictures that have been posted here so far make UA's new design look FAR SUPERIOR than AA's current J seats on the 787 and 772. Even though AA supposedly has "1-2-1" - it's the absolute WORST "1-2-1" I have ever sat in my life. First of all, you have 0 privacy. Every single seat looks directly into your neighbor across from you. Secondly, the middle seat wall dividers cannot be adjusted by the passenger and most FAs are clueless about how to use them. This means, you have 2 neighbors staring at you. Then, your seat would wobble and move around whenever your neighbor adjusts his or her seat. Last but not least, AA's seats are just as narrow. Take a look:

The person in the picture is an average sized adult 5'10" average built and he could not lie flat on his back unless he moved his armed upward wrapping around his head. He barely fit. I have been on the 772 version on AA and they are absolutely atrocious.

So, honestly, the pictures I've seen here with UA's new design is still far superior to AA's.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by EWR764
I wouldn't put a great deal of stock in any mockups as an ironclad predictor of how the customer-finished product will look, especially in terms of cushion firmness, retractable armrests, partitions, etc. These reflect more of a proof-of-concept than a refined production seat.
Sorry, but when we're talking about an airline that has gone to great lengths to save money by making all their narrowbody Y seats incredibly uncomfortable for anything other than a short hop, they don't get the benefit of the doubt on this issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.