Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is this United's new business class layout?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this United's new business class layout?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2016, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by helvetic
Lindt. Godiva is not good chocolate. Source: I'm Swiss, and know about chocolate.
Disagree. Spruengli is good chocolate

Seat is most important ... food and chocolate come as a distant 2nd. Unless they somehow manage to get great privacy into this setup and it is not too tight it might be o.k .... but it doesn't look like it.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wripro
Chances are the seats will be so narrow as to be claustrophobic. I don't understand why anyone, given the choice, would fly this configuration over American or most foreign airlines. It's not like the service and food make up for the discomfort.
I don't understand why anyone, who has never seen or experienced something they are discussing, would choose to make such a steadfast decision.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I guess I'd ask all the UA apologists here if the UA new J was so good why the need to defend/justify/explain why we should all be happy with what is not only an inferior product today - but will be for the next decade?
So this is worse than the existing 2-4-2 without direct aisle access??
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
By the way, does anyone know what seat American will go with when it restarts the 777-200 retrofits? They had to abandon their choice 6 months ago because of Zodiac issues and I haven't seen any update.
It has not been announced AFAIK.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Not close to EK 380, have six flights in them and not even close
Nor close to the EK 777, old J or new J.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by mduell
Just another example of what someone mentioned earlier. I don't give two hoots about EK's J product - it won't fly me to Asia non-stop from NYC, nor will it get me to almost any destination in Europe. I won't be spending time connecting in DXB just because it would be nice.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Not close to EK 380, have six flights in them and not even close
And roughly how many flights do you have in this proposed configuration, such that you can conclude they are "not even close"?
Old Mar 12, 2016, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by sbm12
So this is worse than the existing 2-4-2 without direct aisle access??
I thought this was the game killer.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 8:26 pm
PPM

This appears similar or even identical to Etihad's business class, which I flew last year from ORD-SYD. I really liked the privacy, although the actual seat size and space was smaller than what I just experienced last week on Qatar, which was also very nice. The direct-aisle access, versus my husband falling over me as he moves from the window to the bathroom is really nice.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
As in this new UA seat is a step ahead of that.

The new Emirates 777 J is like the current UA 777 dorm layout - middle seats, but with the dealer aftermarket woodgrain, shiny hubcap, and rust prevention package.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/emirates-rev...ess-class-seat

"Emirates has revealed its new Boeing 777 business class seat, which will take to the skies from November on all new Boeing 777-300ER jets – and passengers in the middle seat have once again drawn the short straw.

There's plenty to like about the all-new design: the seats convert to a fully-flat bed, unlike the angled sleepers of today’s Boeing 777 business class, with a mini-bar and massive 23 inch personal video screen.

But, as expected, the 2-3-2 layout makes no allowance for direct aisle access by the passenger in the middle seat, who'll instead need to step past or over their seatmates to get to the aisle."

Current Emirates 777 J is angled flat.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
As in this new UA seat is a step ahead of that.

The new Emirates 777 J is like the current UA 777 dorm layout - middle seats, but with the dealer aftermarket woodgrain, shiny hubcap, and rust prevention package.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/emirates-rev...ess-class-seat

"Emirates has revealed its new Boeing 777 business class seat, which will take to the skies from November on all new Boeing 777-300ER jets – and passengers in the middle seat have once again drawn the short straw.

There's plenty to like about the all-new design: the seats convert to a fully-flat bed, unlike the angled sleepers of today’s Boeing 777 business class, with a mini-bar and massive 23 inch personal video screen.

But, as expected, the 2-3-2 layout makes no allowance for direct aisle access by the passenger in the middle seat, who'll instead need to step past or over their seatmates to get to the aisle."

Current Emirates 777 J is angled flat.
I am the worlds last Emirates defender, but nice try. You seriously want us to believe that that lovely looking J product is inferior to a high-density J because it doesn't offer direct aisle access? Yeah right.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 12:02 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I guess I'd ask all the UA apologists here if the UA new J was so good why the need to defend/justify/explain why we should all be happy with what is not only an inferior product today - but will be for the next decade?

The folks here on FT are tough and demanding customers I'll give you that - but that doesn't mean they are wrong - UA has chosen its course - High density low value - just accept it for what it is and stop trying to make it seem competitive - it's clearly NOT.... So now not only is soft product inferior - so is hard product - hard to justify those facts....
Maybe they're justifying it because the audience has some people that seemingly won't be satisfied no matter what UA installs on their aircraft. So there's an intimidation factor.

I don't feel the need to defend or justify anything. I really hope this is the new seat, because in my view this is near perfect on paper. Obviously the fine details we won't know yet until we try it, but to me this is clearly superior to the rest of the U.S. carriers on the surface. IMO, herringbone/reverse herringbone sucks. I'll be blunt about it. I dislike not having true window seats. I dislike not having true couples seating. I dislike having to stow the screen during takeoff and landing. I dislike having limited storage. I dislike the limited privacy. I dislike being at a significant sideways angle. And then at DL, you add on cheap fit-and-finish and so-so seat comfort. I'd much rather have this configuration. Hopefully UA does a good job on the fine details too.

I'd turn the question around too. To those that aren't happy with this concept, what we were you wanting. What is so wrong with this.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 12:08 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
in terms of the new seat itself (as opposed to layout), wasn't there an overwhelmingly positive reaction from the chosen few GS/1K who were shown prototypes by UA?
Old Mar 13, 2016, 12:10 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by minnyfly
Maybe they're justifying it because the audience has some people that seemingly won't be satisfied no matter what UA installs on their aircraft. So there's an intimidation factor.

I don't feel the need to defend or justify anything. I really hope this is the new seat, because in my view this is near perfect on paper. Obviously the fine details we won't know yet until we try it, but to me this is clearly superior to the rest of the U.S. carriers on the surface. IMO, herringbone/reverse herringbone sucks. I'll be blunt about it. I dislike not having true window seats. I dislike not having true couples seating. I dislike having to stow the screen during takeoff and landing. I dislike having limited storage. I dislike the limited privacy. I dislike being at a significant sideways angle. And then at DL, you add on cheap fit-and-finish and so-so seat comfort. I'd much rather have this configuration. Hopefully UA does a good job on the fine details too.

I'd turn the question around too. To those that aren't happy with this concept, what we were you wanting. What is so wrong with this.
If UA put in a true 1-2-1 like NH I'd give them a ton more of my business - but it doesn't look likely - that's what I - and I think others here - were so hopeful for.... If an airline like NH thinks this is the way to go - and trust me they analyze things like density and passenger loads to death - one would think that their strategy is solid - instead we get this - UA can scream "flat bed is only thing people want" as a competitive advantage / justification for this all they want - the reality is that the days for this being true are over - at least IMO....
Old Mar 13, 2016, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mkrecek
As much as people criticize UA for having 2-4-2 seating, lie flat seating was something very few airlines had at the time when it rolled out. Back in 2008: Singapore, Lufthansa, and KLM's weggi seats were no match for UA's lie flat.
Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush
Once again UA aren't really blazing a pioneer track,
The new lie-flat seat back then was pretty much a quantum leap at the time. In the current environment of many good/better lie-flat products out there, such a leap to an entire new level is just not in the cards - for UA or its direct competitors.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 4:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by minnyfly
I only have two potential concerns. First, while there is aisle access for every seat (good) I hope it doesn't come at the price of a narrow, tight seat. We are talking about eight seats across, and we all know how tight the IPTE seats are, right?

Second, we are talking about a seat that was designed during the Smisek regime, and I'm worried they won't be padded as nicely as the IPTE seats, which are the best around for sleeping, IMO. We all know how the slimlines turned out.

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to these seats on the 777 and A350.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.