Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA initiates Account Security Update (Security Q&A authentication added 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA initiates Account Security Update (Security Q&A authentication added 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2016, 6:19 am

Well thanks to United's security question and answer system, my answer for each question is simply the first result alphabetically, because who knows what my favourite ______ is in 3 years time.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 6:39 am
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by narvik
Wait. The phone agents ask these questions also? Well, do they at least offer the choices?
No, they don't. And they are extremely embarrassed about asking them. I've had them asked twice, and both times the agents apologized.

Also, interestingly, one of the questions is about the "first city you visited." Somewhat awkward when discussing an itinerary, I discovered recently!
Old Aug 29, 2016, 9:00 am

I always feel uncomfortable when the security questions/answers are multiplexed between different accounts, especially when there are different levels of (1) security and (2) what's at stake (e.g. bank account vs. a social forum, or even the FF account).
If one of those accounts is compromised (via a general break-in into the website or via social engineering aimed at a specific account), then you've got a good chance of other accounts compromised too.

Now, when a security question chosen for on-line password recovery is also used for a phone support interaction, that increases chances for social engineering hacking being successful. (The same concern applies to those websites that are happy to send you your actual password via e-mail [instead of the one-time password or link to reset your password].)
Old Aug 29, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
I logged in from a "different device" today.
I was presented with two questions which were totally irrelevant to me, and I answered incorrectly.
I now have to call to get my account unlocked, which is of course something I really want to do on a Monday morning.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:02 am
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by 1StRanger
I always feel uncomfortable when the security questions/answers are multiplexed between different accounts, especially when there are different levels of (1) security and (2) what's at stake (e.g. bank account vs. a social forum, or even the FF account).
If one of those accounts is compromised (via a general break-in into the website or via social engineering aimed at a specific account), then you've got a good chance of other accounts compromised too.

Now, when a security question chosen for on-line password recovery is also used for a phone support interaction, that increases chances for social engineering hacking being successful. (The same concern applies to those websites that are happy to send you your actual password via e-mail [instead of the one-time password or link to reset your password].)
...and these are some of the reasons this is not 2FA. It's just more to remember. That's not a second factor! ARGGGHHH!

It may be slow, but at least it's hard to use.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:15 am

Wait. The phone agents ask these questions also? Well, do they at least offer the choices?
The past weeks I keep getting asked for my date of birth by the phone agents. Yesterday I wanted to test the attention span a bit and I decided to give them a wrong year. Seemingly did not matter, business as usual. Very safe
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:23 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dimramon
... I now have to call to get my account unlocked, which is of course something I really want to do on a Monday morning.
Don't need to call to unlock, it is done via email.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by ssh
No, they don't. And they are extremely embarrassed about asking them. I've had them asked twice, and both times the agents apologized.

Yikes!

These new 'security' measures are really quite annoying. I've been booking and researching a lot of flights in the last few days, and the united.com site keeps telling me I am using a new device, and it is lucky (but not very safe) that I answered all questions not by correctness of answer, but rather alphabetically. I wanted to be an accountant, favourite fruit is apple, met wife in April, Banana ice cream, etc. This proved a life saver (well, time saver at least) when I was updating the family members' accounts, as I used the same answer for all their questions also.

I might not do well though, if I can't see all the choices of answers in front of me; i.e. over the phone I might answer favorite ice cream is Acai, favourite fruit is Aceolai, and I wanted to be an Able Seaman when I grew up...

Oy vey!

It has the advantage that I don't even bother reading the questions anymore; I just pick the answer that is alphabetically first. After doing this at least 20 to 30 times in the last few days I might be answering:

Favourite sport: Artichoke
Month you met your wife: Apples
Favourite pizza topping: Baseball
Favourite fruit: Accountant

Last edited by narvik; Sep 1, 2016 at 12:12 am
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:15 am

United must think a lot of pax like adventure vacations
Old Sep 1, 2016, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ssh

Also, interestingly, one of the questions is about the "first city you visited." Somewhat awkward when discussing an itinerary, I discovered recently!
I've had to call an agent 3 times this week and have only been asked my questions once. Whats funny is the call I got asked on was the least important and didn't involve a transaction, I just had a general question while the other two involved rebookings.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had to call today to have a schedule change fixed on an award ticket. I was a little surprised when the agent asked me the answers to those questions. Some of them are personal
Old Sep 5, 2016, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Thumbs down

Yikes!

These new 'security' measures are really quite annoying. I've been booking and researching a lot of flights in the last few days, and the united.com site keeps telling me I am using a new device,

This is really annoying.

Why ual.blowup keeps saying I'm using a new device and asking me to answer these stupid questions?

I thought that you don't have to answer them once you click "remember this device"?
Old Sep 5, 2016, 6:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Talked with an agent on the Premier line and after she asked me the questions I asked her what she thought of the new process. She said she thought it was cumbersome but that she was told MP fraud is down 40% since the changes have been made.

If true, that is significant. Doesn't change the fact that it's a pain to use but in their eyes is having a major impact on fraud.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by RockinRon
Talked with an agent on the Premier line and after she asked me the questions I asked her what she thought of the new process. She said she thought it was cumbersome but that she was told MP fraud is down 40% since the changes have been made.

If true, that is significant. Doesn't change the fact that it's a pain to use but in their eyes is having a major impact on fraud.
In the meantime, I haven't been asked for any verification any of the 10+ times in the last few weeks I've called the Premier Desk.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 11:35 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kb1992
This is really annoying.

Why ual.blowup keeps saying I'm using a new device and asking me to answer these stupid questions?

I thought that you don't have to answer them once you click "remember this device"?
Have you blocked cookies?
Does your system clear cookies on a regular basis?
Are your browsing in private / anonymous mode?
"Remember this device" can not override your device settings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.