Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA initiates Account Security Update (Security Q&A authentication added 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA initiates Account Security Update (Security Q&A authentication added 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2016, 6:54 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
United PIN and Password FAQ

Went to .bomb and saw a banner saying

The MileagePlus sign-in process is changing. Learn about our updates to account security.
Clicked the link and was taken to the "PIN and Password FAQ". Didn't actually see any changes that haven't already happened. The FAQ was citing the Feb 2016 changes

As of February 11, 2016, we require all MileagePlus accounts to have a strong password and new security questions. Please sign in and update your account if you haven't already.
Looking through the FAQs to see if I missed something and noticed this tidbit

Are mashed potatoes a real pizza topping?
Little easter egg there to put a smile on your face (when you're delayed at EWR)

Thought I'd share

Old Aug 3, 2016, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by physioprof
This makes little sense; no one is going to pay for the answers to these inane questions, especially when they know people are gonna do stuff like just select the first in the dropdown for each question.
Selecting the first in the dropdown may nt work. The new FAQ claims that they're busy adding additional questions and answers.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While skepticism on information security use is healthy, UA does say this

Does not appear UA is using cookies for 2-factor authentication. Seems the cookies are used to determine if it is a new device or not, 2-factor authentication is then used if determined you are using a new device.

This is a common approach to avoid having to do 2-factor authentication every time.
Two factor authentication tries to eliminate the 'man in the middle attack'. Cookie authentication is defeated by MIM. When you forget your password or use a new login device and you reset your cookies via a two factor authentication you are not securing your login with two factor authentication because you are just setting a new cookie which MIM (and others) defeat. The cookie author is just more confident that the machine it is talking to is being used by you.

Two factor authentication is when every time you log in you are asked for some unique and time expiring piece of information from some different device.

Using two factor authentication sometimes is like wearing your seat belt sometimes.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 12:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Michael D
Two factor authentication is when every time you log in you are asked for some unique and time expiring piece of information from some different device. ... .
And if UA required true 2-factor authentication on every log-in, there would be a a total riot in this forum and by most users.

No denying true, full 2-factor is more secure but it creates a major usability barrier especially in a system that is accessed on a worldwide basis.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 1:00 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
...and by the same user on many different platforms, such as desktop at the office, laptop at home, mobile to-from-at airport; tablet on board; hotel computer at destination, different device at destination work site, reverse, rinse, permutate, repeat.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Michael D
Two factor authentication tries to eliminate the 'man in the middle attack'. Cookie authentication is defeated by MIM. When you forget your password or use a new login device and you reset your cookies via a two factor authentication you are not securing your login with two factor authentication because you are just setting a new cookie which MIM (and others) defeat. The cookie author is just more confident that the machine it is talking to is being used by you.
HSTS provides some mitigation.

And if UA required true 2-factor authentication on every log-in, there would be a a total riot in this forum and by most users.
They could offer it without requiring it.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 1:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mduell
And if UA required true 2-factor authentication on every log-in, there would be a a total riot in this forum and by most users. ...
They could offer it without requiring it.
Block / delete the cookie and you will have it. Or use a private / anonymous session.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Two-step verification done right - Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc. - only comes into play with logins from a new device, a strange location, or an unusual IP address. That's the only way to make it work in a mass-market context.

Two-step verification also normally relies on one-time codes sent to a phone via text or computed by an app like Google Authenticator (or, more recently, push notifications sent to an app). Security questions are a sub-par form of verification, since at worst an adversary can guess them and at best they take more time than typing in a few numbers. UA would be smart to move this function to its own app, since that would also drive adoption of it.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA: Plat, Marriott: Annual Ambassador, Lifetime Grandfather
If I have to get a text from United -- or an email, or some other 2FA mechanism -- every time I want to login to United, I might just quit using United. Websites that keep my login active even when I don't visit for days at a time have been around for years, so long as I am using the same device. The timeout on United's site is ridiculously short -- 20 or 30 minutes, though I haven't sat around with a stopwatch checking it.

Even though I use 1Password and the same browser every time I want to login, the fact that I get the darkened screen telling me that I've been logged out, and that I have to refresh the page so that I can then hit Cmd-\ to send my secure password...It's annoying enough already. An additional 2FA step every time would be even worse.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt

No denying true, full 2-factor is more secure but it creates a major usability barrier especially in a system that is accessed on a worldwide basis.
The main thing 2 factor does is limit your exposure to a session. When you logout (we always logout don't we) the MIM's session is hopefully over also.

Originally Posted by DCA writer
Two-step verification done right - Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc. - only comes into play with logins from a new device, a strange location, or an unusual IP address. That's the only way to make it work in a mass-market context.
That's not 2 step done right. That's just easier. Once you get use to memorizing 6 to 8 digit numbers at a glance, it is not a big deal in my experience. I have a T-Mobile phone and in Japan and China Amazon and Google's response is almost instantaneous email and text.

The rub would be United being almost instantaneous.

Two-step verification also normally relies on one-time codes sent to a phone via text or computed by an app like Google Authenticator (or, more recently, push notifications sent to an app). Security questions are a sub-par form of verification, since at worst an adversary can guess them and at best they take more time than typing in a few numbers. UA would be smart to move this function to its own app, since that would also drive adoption of it.
E*Trade uses an App called VIP Access by Symantec (should make some among us happy).

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
And yet - they still ask for your pin when you call in.... Unbelievable.
What my bank which uses a PIN for ID does is makes the teller go offline and an automated system tells me to punch it in. When I return to the teller they only know if I entered it correctly or not.

If United were to use a technology such as VIP Access then
1) Could use that constantly changing number instead of a PIN for phone verification
2) No need to have to be texted or emailed in places connectivity challenged (cut and paste or memorize).

But any change will generate problems if for nothing else for its shininess.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can vouch for this. My company went to true 2 factor authentication. There is no remembering devices. Every time you log in or go to one of the internal apps you need to do this authentication. What a pain in the you know what.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Its interesting that NIST is no longer recommending 2 factor auth using SMS.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 10:20 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
More changes that I do not like
Old Aug 9, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
And yet - they still ask for your pin when you call in.... Unbelievable.
Not in the future. They're going to get even dumber

From the FAQ:
Are you getting rid of PINs? Or do I still need one?

Once you update your account with a secure password and security questions, you'll no longer be able to use your PIN.

What happens now when I call the contact center?

If you contact United by phone, you'll be asked for your password when using the automated system or for your security answers when you speak to a United representative. For security purposes, if you're asked for your password you will only need to share the first five characters.
Great for insider attacks, let the computer system or a human hear either part of my password in an unencrypted fashion or my "security" answers.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Not in the future. They're going to get even dumber

From the FAQ:

Once you update your account with a secure password and security questions, you'll no longer be able to use your PIN.
That's funny -- UA still asks me for my PIN despite the abve.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.