Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA initiates Account Security Update (Security Q&A authentication added 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA initiates Account Security Update (Security Q&A authentication added 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2016, 11:24 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
Are people just pick whatever make semi-sense and then write down their questions / answers?
I was able to find 5 questions that I hope I can remember the answer to, didn't write anything down

When I sign in to my credit union website from an unknown computer it asks the security questions, but I only have to answer one of them.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I use the same answer for all security questions if they are freeform answers, and so long as they allow the same answer to all questions.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I use the same answer for all security questions if they are freeform answers, and so long as they allow the same answer to all questions.
That is what we normally do but some sites dont allow same answers.

However this is the first time I see you have to pick from a drop down menu. I was able to find 3 that I think we can remember, but the remaining 2 are make up things.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy
We only access United site with passwords, never PIN which I dont even know what they are. Yet we are still required to do the 5 security questions.

How stupid those 5 questions are - first of all the options are limited, secondly, the answers can only be chosen from a drop down menu!

Never see such security questions setting....
Read post #233
Old Mar 2, 2016, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Read post #233
Thanks.

Both our accounts receive the SAME set of questions, albeit in difference sequence of display so at first it looks as if we got different sets of questions. NOPE. Identical, just the displays were "scrambled". So much for the added security. We chose identical questions / answers so only one set to remember.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 12:28 pm

My biggest problem with this stupid security system is that i don't have a favorite car or favorite dog and NONE OF THE QUESTIONS OR ANSWERS APPLY TO ME.

The dropdowns are stupidly forcing and guess what happens now - I've taken a screenshot (or written down the answers using the keyboard they're worried about) and emailed the answers to myself.

Thanks United for making a ...... system.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 7:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
So is this thing working now at least? I've put off updating mine due to the reports of people getting locked out of accounts, etc...
Old Mar 2, 2016, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by rmannion
How on earth is "hY\SzT+Xvz%LsLj$w:?A`uudN\%JfoO:" considered a weak password?

Because they are not using a measure of secure passwords that the rest of the universe uses.

They are in many cases trying to invent the wheel.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by rmannion
How on earth is "hY\SzT+Xvz%LsLj$w:?A`uudN\%JfoO:" considered a weak password?
My guess is because there are no digits. (ETA - I see someone else already pointed this out.)
Old Mar 9, 2016, 2:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
MileagePlus account security enhancements

Okay, I have been ignoring the united website request to update my logon info for a while now. Now that the time is coming where I need to update it to continue access I sighed and pressed update now and am then asked to provide 5 personnel challenge questions to go forward.

Am I the only one who feels uncomfortable providing that much detailed personnel info and trusting to be held safe? What ever happened to a nice easy phone or email verification that my financial service sites use. At least if they get hacked all I loose is my email address or phone number...I have never been asked for this much personnel info for site security before....
Old Mar 9, 2016, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Cargojon
So is this thing working now at least? I've put off updating mine due to the reports of people getting locked out of accounts, etc...
I put it off until today, but now it went smoothly, with IE11. Indeed, if you login with your PIN, you don't even need to recall what your previous password was (yet another IT defect, but...) as it simply asks you to set and repeat a new password. You can use your old, pre-exisiting one at that point if you wish.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 1:00 am

Just ran across these new "security" questions. I will never remember my answers. No point in even trying. I suppose I can hope for some sort of email reset. Otherwise an hour on hold as a general member to reset by phone?

How far we have come. 10 years as a 1K and now I am not certain there is even a reason to keep my MP#.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 7:17 am

I hate these types of security questions that they give you to pick from because they are totally irrelevant to me. I never played any instrument, have no favorite artist, don't care about sports, didn't hate vegetables as a child, etc. Wish they would just let you create your own. I could come up with some that are far more creative and unique than any of these!
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:46 am

Is it possible they are using these questions to build a customer profile? They are very particular questions: Favorite Artist, Car model, Music preference.

United if you're not sloppy, then you are downright creepy.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Badnews2k
Is it possible they are using these questions to build a customer profile? They are very particular questions: Favorite Artist, Car model, Music preference.

United if you're not sloppy, then you are downright creepy.
Not a chance.

My strategy was select first question, first answer for all 5 questions, take screen capture, paste into file, job done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.