Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA initiates Account Security Update (Security Q&A authentication added 2016)

UA initiates Account Security Update (Security Q&A authentication added 2016)

Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by stimpy
The (stupid) reason for the questions is that if you ever forget your password and ask them to reset it, you will probably be required to answer those questions. And as some of us will not know the answers because they have no meaning to us, we will have go through a big PITA to get our account access back. And that exercise will consume a fair bit of labor on UA's side too.
Ah, I see...and agree!
Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Well this is annoying.

I just went onto United.com and signed in. I then clicked on the "my account" link and I had to sign in again. Way to go, guys!
Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by zitsky
I see no way to view answers once created. Anyone else know a way? Only option is to create new ones.
I believe you can only create new ones.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 12:49 pm
grt

finally!!! The security questions are kind of inane, though.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 2:11 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
I'm glad that they are updating security, but these security questions are ridiculous. I had a hard time picking enough questions that had legitimate answers.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA-1K; Marriott Platinum; National Emerald Exec Elite; Avis President's Club (whoopdidoo)
I answered security questions over the weekend. Then tried to log in yesterday and my password did not work. I was not asked to update my password so I tried using my old Continental password.

Called UA, then was transferred to MP customer service, then to .com customer service, then to I'm not sure who.

Here was the scary part: the CSR walked me through a reset password tool that asked me three security questions, question #2 was NOT one of the five I selected just the day before. I was freaking out and she used that 'IT say anything to get them to STFU' tone, like "So your house is burning down, can you select enter?" She told me to just answer it; it seemed like she did not believe that it was not a question I had selected. So I selected an option, question #3 was familiar. And I was able to reset my password presumably because I got at least two of three answers correct.
I could not get out of her if there was an error with the system, or if using non-selected security questions was part of the process. It was very unnerving.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 2:47 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
These are the worst questions ever, I barely know my answers to these and I am me. Better to make sure I never forget my password.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Answered my five security questions (and I agree, what a stupid selection they are). Not given any chance to update my password.

The next time I tried to log in, I couldn't get into the site because neither my pin (as per the new rules, so no surprise) or my password (now that's the surprise) accepted. So I go to "forget password," and in turn to the new security questions. But I get caught in a loop between two questions (favorite outdoor activity and first car, FWIW), but the questions keep cycling between the two whenever I answer one. In other words, I wasn't allowed to proceed further in order to get a password email sent to me.

Finally, called MP and fortunately reached someone without having to wait. He issued me a new temporary password, which I in turn used to establish a new password. So a solution!

But still a hassle in that even after logging into the site, I had to again enter my MP # and password to access My Account.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Does the new process provide 2-factor log-in? This will enhance the security tremendously.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by raehl311
Unless, of course, you are using the United website, where your answers must be selected from a drop-down menu.

If you're suggesting you can lie and say "green" when the answer is really "blue", that's hardly an improvement.
Sure it is.

If you have to answer two questions with each question having more than twenty answers to reset your password then the odds of me guessing the correct answer is greater than one out of four hundred if you lie and pick one at random and not truthful. (note the list of answers for some questions are greater than fifty.)

If I know you love snowboarding and you picked favorite winter activity as a question then my odds of getting into your account would drop to one out of twenty instead of four hundreds if United asks me to answer that question you answered truthfully when I try to reset your password.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by naumank
Does the new process provide 2-factor log-in? This will enhance the security tremendously.
No. That cost money because they have to text you. You have to be running a business where you can spend a quarter on your customer for each $250.00 they spend at your business. And you need to have a rudimentary understanding of security. And you have to really have a modern website. And ...

If it is true that you cannot log in with a PIN and only need that for confirming who you are and not perform any actions in your account with it, then this exercise will be worth it.

I couldn't log in with my user name today. Had logged in previously with it. Logged in with my MP number, went to my account and had a blank for my user name. Reset it. Will see how long it sticks this time.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by naumank
Hahahah.

This is United IT, remember?

No.

Originally Posted by Michael D
Sure it is.

If you have to answer two questions with each question having more than twenty answers to reset your password then the odds of me guessing the correct answer is greater than one out of four hundred if you lie and pick one at random and not truthful. (note the list of answers for some questions are greater than fifty.)

If I know you love snowboarding and you picked favorite winter activity as a question then my odds of getting into your account would drop to one out of twenty instead of four hundreds if United asks me to answer that question you answered truthfully when I try to reset your password.

You are grossly underestimating the incompetence of United IT.

When you go to reset your password, they don't show all 20 or 50 options that were there when you picked one. They only show 10. So right off, it's not 400 combinations, it's 100.

And, given that the questions are so inane that even *I* already have forgotten my actual answers to them, "lying" about the answer isn't creating any extra security. If someone is trying to hack accounts, they'll just take a crack at their 1 in 100 shot at an account, and if they miss, move on to the next one. Trying to research someone's favorite color isn't worth it when you can just try 100 accounts and get one.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:48 pm

The thing is, United KNOWS the potential security risks; this explains why they removed the username functionality when logging in. Given this, wouldn't the I.T department think of something clever - or even consistent with modern day online security? Even if that fails, wouldn't someONE in the department raise their hand and say, "uh no, that's the level of security my dad use to have when logging into his Apple IIc computer back in 1990, we should do something cooler." Did all of this really fail at United?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K
What idiot came up with those questions?

Half of them don't apply to me, others don't have the correct answers (no 'funk' for favorite music) others are just weird.

why not have the 'typical' security questions as in name of best man, mothers maiden name, birth place etc?

These are the worst ever, I have never even seen anything so badly thought out. Somebody needs to be yelled at or demoted.

Nincompoops

Jebus!
Old Feb 17, 2016, 5:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by piemel
.... why not have the 'typical' security questions as in name of best man, mothers maiden name, birth place etc? ....
Perhaps those might not be the best choice for those with Facebook accounts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.