Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA initiates Account Security Update (Security Q&A authentication added 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA initiates Account Security Update (Security Q&A authentication added 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2016, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just received an email with the following :

To better protect your United MileagePlus® account, later this week, we'll no longer allow the use of PINs and implement two-factor authentication. This will impact you in two ways when accessing your MileagePlus account:

1. If you contact United® by phone, you'll be asked for your password when using the automated system or for your security answers when you speak to a United representative.
2. Your security questions will also be used as part of upcoming two-factor authentication to further protect your account — you'll be asked to answer your security questions the first time you sign in from a device that we don't recognize.

If you think you may have forgotten the answers to your security questions, we recommend that you sign in to your account and select new questions and answers now.

Thank you for being a MileagePlus member and for taking the time to update your account.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Got the same email. So where do I go to check/create my security question answers - I have no idea if I've ever entered them before & no clue what they might be.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 12:52 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I logged in to my account and on the profile section was given the option to ENTER security questions, but I couldn't find any way to review the ones I currently had. So do I remember them? As if!

Surely they can dream up some nonsense security reason why they can't show us our own data, but it is annoying and so far I have no other online account (including banking) that takes such a ham-handed approach.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 12:55 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I logged in to my account and on the profile section was given the option to ENTER security questions, but I couldn't find any way to review the ones I currently had.
Generally that is the way it works. You can change but not review security questions.

Originally Posted by greenskin
Got the same email. So where do I go to check/create my security question answers - I have no idea if I've ever entered them before & no clue what they might be.
If you can log on and not get a message about needing to do this, you have done it. UA has been encouraging the entry of this security questions for a number of months (since February).
Old Aug 10, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA G
So I guess instead of 4 digit PINs, we've moved to 5 character PINs (which happen to correspond to the first 5 letters of our password). Lovely.

Last edited by unavaca; Aug 10, 2016 at 3:13 pm
Old Aug 11, 2016, 7:47 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
This tweet to United made me laugh...

"can't wait to dictate "pipe, left curly brace, backslash..." a couple dozen times. Per attempt."

Last edited by l etoile; Aug 11, 2016 at 8:17 am
Old Aug 11, 2016, 8:57 am
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Originally Posted by greenskin
It took me 15 minutes of hunting to find this:
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/acc...estionsanswers
Old Aug 11, 2016, 10:10 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
How do i know if I set up the questions in the first place? I can't recall.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yosithezet
How do i know if I set up the questions in the first place? I can't recall.
If you don't recall whether or not you did it, it's probably best to just do it again at any rate, and also to record the answers for yourself somewhere.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
"For security purposes, if you're asked for your password you will only need to share the first five characters."

They really should have highlighted that in the email. And would have been good for them to comment for this business week article. I reacted the same way. Are you CRAZY? Read my full password to a call center rep.

http://www.businessinsider.com/custo...-change-2016-8
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:46 pm
Company Representative

Security Updates to MileagePlus Accounts – Effective August 12, 2016

Hi everyone,

We wanted to share a security update with you regarding the login process for your MileagePlus accounts. As you are already aware, the security of our members' MileagePlus® accounts is very important to us. As many of you noticed back in February, members were made aware of changes when signing in, and were prompted to make important security updates. These included updating accounts with a strong password and answering security questions. This was done in preparation of global removal of PINs as a form of authentication, taking place on the evening of August 11, 2016.

For members that have not completed security updates they need to do so in order to access their account on or after August 12, 2016:

For members who have completed their security updates, they will be asked to answer two of their security questions the first time they sign in on or after August 12, 2016. Members will need to do this each time they sign in from a device or browser that we don’t recognize to further protect their account.

The most up-to-date information, including FAQs can be found here. In addition, we realize this is a hot discussion topic, so our security team leads will be available for questions here on this forum over the coming days.

Thank you,

-UA Security Insider
        Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:54 pm
        Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
        Originally Posted by UA Security Insider
        Hi everyone,

We wanted to share a security update with you regarding the login process for your MileagePlus accounts. As you are already aware, the security of our members' MileagePlus® accounts is very important to us. As many of you noticed back in February, members were made aware of changes when signing in, and were prompted to make important security updates. These included updating accounts with a strong password and answering security questions. This was done in preparation of global removal of PINs as a form of authentication, taking place on the evening of August 11, 2016.

For members that have not completed security updates they need to do so in order to access their account on or after August 12, 2016:

For members who have completed their security updates, they will be asked to answer two of their security questions the first time they sign in on or after August 12, 2016. Members will need to do this each time they sign in from a device or browser that we don’t recognize to further protect their account.

The most up-to-date information, including FAQs can be found here. In addition, we realize this is a hot discussion topic, so our security team leads will be available for questions here on this forum over the coming days.

Thank you,

-UA Security Insider
              If one periodically clears their browser history, cooked and/or cache, will the security process have to be repeated? The reason I ask is that if I access a secure site (i.e. my online banking), I will clear out everything on my browser after I'm finished accessing that particular site
              Old Aug 11, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
              Originally Posted by goalie
              If one periodically clears their browser history, cooked and/or cache, will the security process have to be repeated? The reason I ask is that if I access a secure site (i.e. my online banking), I will clear out everything on my browser after I'm finished accessing that particular site
              You will have to answer the 2 security questions again if you delete all cookies because the way it "remembers" your device/browser is through an encrypted cookie.
              Old Aug 11, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA GS
              Originally Posted by goalie
              Modern browsers support "private browsing" mode that you could use for your secure site access to avoid having to clear this out. Firefox/IE call it Private Browsing and Chrome calls it Icognito. If you accessed your bank this way, all what you mention is deleted when you close the browser, and your United cookies would remain.
              Old Aug 11, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
              Originally Posted by VWang1111
              You will have to answer the 2 security questions again if you delete all cookies because the way it "remembers" your device/browser is through an encrypted cookie.
              I use a program called "Cookies" on my Mac which allows me to manage my cookies. In particular it will allow you to choose which cookies not to delete. It has proven useful for deleting all the cookies except for the ones you need to verify your identity at a particular site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.