Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA initiates Account Security Update (Security Q&A authentication added 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA initiates Account Security Update (Security Q&A authentication added 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2023, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by DCEsquire
There is some mention in the site that you can enable 2 factor authentication - but I can't seem to locate how to turn this on.
I'm sure it's coming soon, and if they have something out there already, they probably updated a page before actually changing the system.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 7:23 am

I'm annoyed that United very clearly publishes some info suggesting you turn on two factor authentication even though they DON'T support it anywhere!

https://www.united.com/ual/en/US/fly...-security.html
Old Jan 12, 2024, 7:49 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by zitsky
I'm annoyed that United very clearly publishes some info suggesting you turn on two factor authentication even though they DON'T support it anywhere!

https://www.united.com/ual/en/US/fly...-security.html
Though they don't say it, I think what they're getting at is enabling two factor authentication on your phone which is a major avenue to your MP account.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Though they don't say it, I think what they're getting at is enabling two factor authentication on your phone which is a major avenue to your MP account.
I think they're just cribbing those security tips from some other website or generic "how to be more secure online" essay. None of those tips are specific to the UA app.
Xyzzy and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 8:57 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by drewguy
I think they're just cribbing those security tips from some other website or generic "how to be more secure online" essay. None of those tips are specific to the UA app.
Which is kind of the norm for just about any other service provider that has my CC details. UA has more then my CC details they have my passport information, GC information, KTN, address, email, telephone number, my favorite activities, my first car, etc.

The lack of 2FA is very concerning to me as an individual. It is not the potential access to my miles they make take as UA can restore those it is my person details including my upcoming flight details that appalls me that UA does not care about the security of these issues.

I am a lowly 1K so UA does not care about my views on this 2FA issue but wish some high level GS members would raise this issue so UA would take notice and do something.
Xyzzy and Silver Fox like this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Not sure what you mean. I thought 2FA was specific to an application or website not a device?
Old Jan 12, 2024, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle (Post # 650)
UA has more then my CC details they have my passport information, GC information, KTN, address, email, telephone number, my favorite activities, my first car, etc.
GC = ?
Old Jan 12, 2024, 11:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
GC = ?
Green Card
SPN Lifer and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 6:14 pm

Account security?

United offers no way to protect an account other than a password? No 2FA? No FaceID etc?

I see I asked this. Thought of it again when I added a credit card. I am not sure how secure it is. I may delete it.

Last edited by zitsky; Jan 30, 2024 at 6:41 pm
Old Jan 30, 2024, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zitsky
United offers no way to protect an account other than a password? No 2FA? No FaceID etc?
And personal profile questions when you use a new device

(Will move this to the master thread which this issue has been extensive covered) Those additional measures can be problematic for the international traveler or while inflight.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
...Those additional measures can be problematic for the international traveler or while inflight.
You can say that again, so I just did.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
With UA being leagues ahead in the technology domain. Support for passkeys should be a no-brainer. The Q&A when logging in (on a dormant device/new device) is super annoying.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 9:09 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Strong unique passwords are the antidote.
The issue is you can never remember them then. UA needs to implement 2FA, with any IP address change prompting a challenge, it’s behind the curve and UA accounts are being targeted because of this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
The issue is you can never remember them then. ...
Easily addressed with password managers
UA needs to implement 2FA, with any IP address change prompting a challenge, ...
There are major issues with common 2FA for the international / air traveler. What other air carrier has wht you want?
it’s behind the curve and UA accounts are being targeted because of this.
Are UA accounts being targeted? More so than ....??? As mentioned above the reports on FT over the past few years have been sparse
Old Mar 5, 2024, 9:24 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Easily addressed with password managers
There are major issues with common 2FA for the international / air traveler. What other air carrier has wht you want?
Are UA accounts being targeted? More so than ....??? As mentioned above the reports on FT over the past few years have been sparse
I agree with many of these points, but I think SIA has 2fa? Can also be done by email, WhatsApp, Google Authenticator, etc.

All I know is that the password was found in several leaks, whether they were United-related, I don’t know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.