Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA initiates Account Security Update (Security Q&A authentication added 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA initiates Account Security Update (Security Q&A authentication added 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2016, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
MP knows I'm an overseas member but still I get questions which presume I was educated in America and which, because I was not, are impossible to answer.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
MP knows I'm an overseas member but still I get questions which presume I was educated in America and which, because I was not, are impossible to answer.
You can choose different questions when you configure the verification, no? None of mine presume US education, as far as I can discern.

edit: Or not beyond general familiarity with American English, that is.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by fumje
You can choose different questions when you configure the verification, no? None of mine presume US education, as far as I can discern.

edit: Or not beyond general familiarity with American English, that is.
You have to be joking. Unless it has changed recently then it is an incredibly US-centric based set of questions. Not that I care but it is.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
You have to be joking. Unless it has changed recently then it is an incredibly US-centric based set of questions. Not that I care but it is.
Sure, the set as a whole certainly skews US-centric. But there are a handful that seem relatively agnostic.

For whatever reason, they don't offer the full set of questions every time you do it, so plausibly that isn't everyone's experience. I had selected one set for which I thought I could remember answers, then forgot them, and when I re-set the questions it was offering different ones.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 4:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Plat, Star G, HH Diamond, Hertz 5*
My MP account is getting 'locked' all most weekly, and it is beyond frusterating. I log in, just like I always do, and about once a week I will get and error message saying 'Username and Password' don't match, we are sending you a link to reset. I click on the link, sign back into MP, and then get the same error message. This usually results in me having to call MP to get it sorted out. This is very annoying to do literally do once a week. Has anyone else had this kind of issue? Please help! (PS - yes, I am using the correct Name/password as I still have access on my Iphone, its just on my computer a Chromebook that I have issues)
Old Jan 1, 2017, 11:55 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I absolutely hate United's security question protocol when logging in from a new device. How the hell am I supposed to remember if my favorite ice cream is dark chocolate, mint chocolate or chocolate?

How about drafting the security feature with meaningful security questions with customized, memorable responses such as mothers maiden name, fathers middle name, etc.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 1:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
How about drafting the security feature with meaningful security questions with customized, memorable responses such as mothers maiden name, fathers middle name, etc.
I'm not going to defend UA's approach but those choices are equally as bad.
Those questions have been overused and a breach on a site that used those choices left you completely exposed. And those beaches have happened and will continue to happen. Plus for many folks that sort of info is readily found via their FB page.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
You just let people choose a combination of words (their words, not from a list) and the job is done.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA seems to have "updated" this feature such that it now asks me to answer all three questions each time I sign in from a new country (same device). Pretty silly given that this is an airline website, which by definition means it is used by those who travel.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
UA seems to have "updated" this feature such that it now asks me to answer all three questions each time I sign in from a new country (same device). Pretty silly given that this is an airline website, which by definition means it is used by those who travel.

Could be worse,a couple of years ago I visited TLL and was unable to access my MP account. When I arrived in IAD I called UA and was told my account was locked due to "suspicious" activity from another country. I told them I was in TLL and traveling on a UA ticketed itinerary. The sad thing is the person I talked with really didn't care.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I was not educated in America but have no issues with the security questions as the site allows you to ask for other questions.

In fairness, UA is an American business so would have an issue if they were, say, French centric.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I'm not going to defend UA's approach but those choices are equally as bad.
Those questions have been overused and a breach on a site that used those choices left you completely exposed. And those beaches have happened and will continue to happen. Plus for many folks that sort of info is readily found via their FB page.
+1

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 14, 2017 at 4:40 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:12 am

Tried to look through the thread, didn't find an answer. Can you change questions and answers? If so, where? I have looked on mobile and regular site, and can't find an answer.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by zitsky
Tried to look through the thread, didn't find an answer. Can you change questions and answers? If so, where? I have looked on mobile and regular site, and can't find an answer.
Go to the profile page and click Change Security Questions. Or just go directly to https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/acc...estionsanswers.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by zitsky
Originally Posted by getagb
Go to the profile page and click Change Security Questions. Or just go directly to https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/acc...estionsanswers.
How can you create a customized question......I do not believe that is possible.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
How can you create a customized question......I do not believe that is possible.
I wasn't clear enough. I'm not trying to change the value of each answers. I was asking, how do you change YOUR answers to the questions.

Ex

Q. What is your favorite color?
A1. Blue
A2. Yellow
A3. Red

I was asking, how do I change my answer from blue to yellow?

I have my answer...go to the profile page.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.