Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA initiates Account Security Update (Security Q&A authentication added 2016)

UA initiates Account Security Update (Security Q&A authentication added 2016)

Old Aug 19, 16, 8:10 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat/P100, UA 1K 1MM
I'm not sure if this is related to this topic, whenever I try and login to United.com using any browser I receive an error message "The page encountered an error processing your request". Any idea what's up? Doesn't seem to be account specific, happens when I try any family member's account.
Old Aug 19, 16, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Case insensitive when I entered mine.
Case sensativity is irrelevant when you are picking a choice from a drop down list as opposed to manually entering your answer.
Old Aug 19, 16, 8:26 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dmbfan222
I'm not sure if this is related to this topic, whenever I try and login to United.com using any browser I receive an error message "The page encountered an error processing your request". Any idea what's up? Doesn't seem to be account specific, happens when I try any family member's account.
You need to toss your cookies. aka clear your cache.
Old Aug 19, 16, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Since you choose the answer from a drop down list, you don't have a choice. You pick however it is spelled in the drop down list,

Anyone else having problems pasting the password into the United home page on Safari on the iPad. The "Paste" option of iOS doesn't pop up on the field until I manually enter a character. So the workaround for me is to enter a character, then paste my complex password from my password manager, and then remove the first character.
Safari isn't working at all for me. I use safari on my mac to access both my account and my son's and have the passwords in Apple Keychain. I can select my MP account and the screen updates, but when I click "Login", nothing happens. My account is now locked (verified by trying to log-in using Chrome). Definitely something wrong. I started trying to log into the full site on my iPhone.
Old Aug 19, 16, 9:02 am

Programs: UA
I'm starting to smell a problem. I suddenly can't sign in.

This is starting to seem like a problem. I'm trying to buy my September flights and can not online.

My coworker couldn't signon on Wed to check in.

Today, I can't sign in. I get this error on Edge and Chrome. clear cache on both and rebooted.....the usual stuff

United.com says
The page encountered an error processing your request.

My coworker has dutifully been thru many levels of customer support with united.com.

I just spent 20 minutes with support. She was good, but they don't seem to be able to track issues. She said she hadn't heard of any issues like this.
Then she remembered a similiar issue.

Last edited by goalie; Aug 19, 16 at 10:29 am Reason: replaced offensive term
Old Aug 19, 16, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA peon
Originally Posted by Michael D
At a sub website level? Delete specific cookies from United.com not all?
Device and Locale for those who care.
Old Aug 19, 16, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA: Plat, Marriott: Annual Ambassador, Lifetime Grandfather
Originally Posted by grapegrower
Also strange that an answer to favourite breed of dog includes german shepherd dog rather than just german shepherd. must be an american thing.
"German Shepherd Dog" is the official American Kennel Club-listed name of the breed.
Old Aug 19, 16, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Case sensativity is irrelevant when you are picking a choice from a drop down list as opposed to manually entering your answer.
I am aware of that but that was not my question.
My question was when entering answers to the questions already selected when trying to log back in are the answers case sensitive.
I cant remember when picking my answers whether a capital letter was involved or not.
But from one answer here it seems it may not be a problem,
And thanks to mvitale for clearing up the german shepherd question.
Old Aug 19, 16, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA: Plat, Marriott: Annual Ambassador, Lifetime Grandfather
I am aware of that but that was not my question.
My question was when entering answers to the questions already selected when trying to log back in are the answers case sensitive.
I cant remember when picking my answers whether a capital letter was involved or not.
When you log back in, you are still presented with a list of choices from a drop-down. You never have to re-enter (via typing words) your answers.

One of United's stated reasons (laughable though it may be (nay: it is VERY laughable)) for presenting both questions and answers in drop-downs was to defeat key-loggers. Thus, requiring you to type your answer in the form of a word (and using your keyboard to do so) would defeat the purpose.

And thanks to mvitale for clearing up the german shepherd question.
You're quite welcome.

-mvitale
Old Aug 19, 16, 8:39 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by dmbfan222
UA website was having issues earlier today. I had same problem as well. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27089843-post2032.html
Old Aug 19, 16, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by mvitale
When you log back in, you are still presented with a list of choices from a drop-down. You never have to re-enter (via typing words) your answers.
That's correct......just as I tried to communicate.
Old Aug 19, 16, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta
United has botched this new security effort beyond belief. I have no idea how to access my account. At one point I did get to security questions, but I had never chosen them and the answers allowed had nothing to do with me. They are losing goodwill more rapidly than had their computer systems crashed for a month.
Old Aug 22, 16, 4:48 pm

Seriously United? I'm a IT security professional and not only have you made this whole process incredibly frustrating for users, you haven't made it any "safer"

Two different phone calls with their associated hold times to unlock my account. And what's with these "security" questions anyway? They look like questions made up by the marketing team. If you're going to do 2 factor, just do it right. Not this crap.
Old Aug 22, 16, 8:27 pm
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by ksiu1
Seriously United? I'm a IT security professional and not only have you made this whole process incredibly frustrating for users, you haven't made it any "safer"

Two different phone calls with their associated hold times to unlock my account. And what's with these "security" questions anyway? They look like questions made up by the marketing team. If you're going to do 2 factor, just do it right. Not this crap.
At least they aren't questions you could learn about someone else just by being Facebook friends. Or Twitter followers. Or...

Oh.

Wait.

Never mind.

As has been noted, 2FA, this ain't. Secure, this ain't. This is only user hostile, and that does not make for good security. Why not just jump on the Google authenticator bandwagon and be done with it?
Old Aug 22, 16, 8:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.9MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ssh
....Why not just jump on the Google authenticator bandwagon and be done with it?
Does it work in China?

How are remote locations in the world handled?

Search this Thread