Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earn more PQMs for premium cabin travel starting in 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Starting January 1, 2016, you’ll earn more Premier qualifying miles (PQMs) for full-fare and discounted First or Business – up to double the current rate. The higher PQM rates go into effect for flights starting January 1, 2016 regardless of booking date.

New 2016 PQM Earning for United and United Express:

Full-fare First or Business (F, J): 300% (Currently 150%)
Discounted First or Business (A, C, D, Z, P): 200% (Currently 150%)
Full-fare Economy (Y, B): 150% (No Change)
Discounted Economy (M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, N): 100% (No Change)

Please check back shortly for full details regarding this change at mileageplusupdates.com. In addition to United and United Express operated flights, PQM earnings for select Star Alliance partners are also increasing.

Thank you,

-UA Insider
This change does not impact PQS.

UA Insider
Hi everyone. For clarification, there are no changes to the PQD credit card waiver.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Earn more PQMs for premium cabin travel starting in 2016

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Thanks UA Insider ^

AC P increasing to 200 PQM & AC PE fares to 150% PQM maybe just what AC SE thinking about switching to UA 1K needed to make the move.

I know many AC SE are strongly considering moving to UA this new increase in PQM maybe the push they need.

With the increase I will move my AC travel over to UA.

Last edited by yyzprincess; Dec 16, 2015 at 9:37 pm
Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:06 pm

I like this. Thanks, UA.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA AU (ex 10+ year 1k) 1.5MM, AS Newbie, HH ex Dia
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
It would have been even better if LH P earning was increased.
Beyond the 200% it has just been increased to???
Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by MrOCTeckels
Beyond the 200% it has just been increased to???
My bad. I was looking @ 2015. Thanks. Like other poster upthread I can now book LH P
Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA AU (ex 10+ year 1k) 1.5MM, AS Newbie, HH ex Dia
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
My bad. I was looking @ 2015. Thanks. Like other poster upthread I can now book LH P
Agreed. I don't ever book F/J, but I am looking forward to not having to work around LH P fares.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
You might think with the additional PQMs that UA is trying to encourage customers to buy up to F class. Why then do they continue to make it incredibly difficult to do so? They often charge a $200 change fee because many agents are unfamiliar with GG BUYUP. Similarly, united.com still fails to consider UPDI fares in upgrade offers, resulting in upgrades costing more than buying F outright. Seriously, when will they fix these problems?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:56 pm

Programs: Zero Status Nexus
This is a change I like! Bought more Business/First fares than economy for 2016, hence nice icing (PQM) on the cake. Much easier than dealing with CPUs and RPUs. Thank you UA Insider
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:03 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Howard
You might think with the additional PQMs that UA is trying to encourage customers to buy up to F class. Why then do they continue to make it incredibly difficult to do so? They often charge a $200 change fee because many agents are unfamiliar with GG BUYUP. Similarly, united.com still fails to consider UPDI fares in upgrade offers, resulting in upgrades costing more than buying F outright. Seriously, when will they fix these problems?
Both very valid points and ones I hope UA starts addressing. It shouldn't be do hard to give UA extra $$.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
If there were increases to RDMs, that would make me definitely consider buying more F/J. Without it, it's still AA for next year for me. PQMs aren't hard to come by (especially if your lurk on the MR forums).
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I'm surprised at the number of responses from people who will be able to take advantage of this. I thought most companies are like mine where all flights are mandated to be lowest fare. Paying for an upgraded cabin is virtually unheard of.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
I think this is amazing, my trip to JNB in march on AC/LH in deep discount business is going to net me over 42,000 PQM, 7.2 cpm makes me happy !!
Old Dec 17, 2015, 1:05 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by ORDAuD
I'm surprised at the number of responses from people who will be able to take advantage of this. I thought most companies are like mine where all flights are mandated to be lowest fare. Paying for an upgraded cabin is virtually unheard of.
There is a recent thread with reports of some Flyertalkers (including myself) who routinely buy J/F seats:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1730223-how-many-us-regularly-buy-first-class.html
Old Dec 17, 2015, 2:10 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
This is a big plus for me personally.

Even if you regularly travel in paid F/C cabins, achieving status makes using your miles for family and vacations much more palatable and effective.

I am continually amazed at the number of people on this forum who can predict the effects of changes like this without access to any relevant data. I think we can safely assume that UA has access to the data needed to analyze the effects of such a change for existing travel patterns and hazard a prediction on the changes likely to be induced.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 4:52 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by ORDAuD
Big companies like to perpetuate this myth

Originally Posted by sabbasolo
This is a big plus for me personally.

Even if you regularly travel in paid F/C cabins, achieving status makes using your miles for family and vacations much more palatable and effective.

I am continually amazed at the number of people on this forum who can predict the effects of changes like this without access to any relevant data. I think we can safely assume that UA has access to the data needed to analyze the effects of such a change for existing travel patterns and hazard a prediction on the changes likely to be induced.
Oh sarcasm, thou sharp sword has cut my tongue from replying.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
MM uses BIS (with 500 mile min for elites)
I wish they would go back to allowing all PQM to count toward MM. I would more properly reflect not just how much a customer has flown, but how much they spend, because the bonus PQM's are where the voluntary up-pricing for customers is. Otherwise, we could all be filling up space on discount Y fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.