Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earn more PQMs for premium cabin travel starting in 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Starting January 1, 2016, you’ll earn more Premier qualifying miles (PQMs) for full-fare and discounted First or Business – up to double the current rate. The higher PQM rates go into effect for flights starting January 1, 2016 regardless of booking date.

New 2016 PQM Earning for United and United Express:

Full-fare First or Business (F, J): 300% (Currently 150%)
Discounted First or Business (A, C, D, Z, P): 200% (Currently 150%)
Full-fare Economy (Y, B): 150% (No Change)
Discounted Economy (M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, N): 100% (No Change)

Please check back shortly for full details regarding this change at mileageplusupdates.com. In addition to United and United Express operated flights, PQM earnings for select Star Alliance partners are also increasing.

Thank you,

-UA Insider
This change does not impact PQS.

UA Insider
Hi everyone. For clarification, there are no changes to the PQD credit card waiver.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Earn more PQMs for premium cabin travel starting in 2016

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
"The lower-tier HVFs will simply be buying into F instead of thinking an upgrade might clear."

I haven't thought that for years. This will just give me more of an incentive to buy more international BF on UA versus another airline - if it gives me the GPUs, and assuming there is still enough R space available at booking, the only kind I look for, to use a few of them on a leg here or there to keep the cost down.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ORDAuD
I did see that thread. A mix of people who pay their own way and ones who are able to charge their company (or a client) for a first class ticket. They must not use the same software that my company does. It forces the absolute cheapest fare regardless of airline. It even creates an overnight stay even if that makes the overall trip more expensive.
Can't you still pass up the cheaper overnight, and have your boss approve the red flag flight?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by bldr1k
It is surprising they are so focused on people buying business or first.

B or Y coach fares are far more profitable than a discounted first class ticket. They generally cost more than first and the cost of the seat space and service is less than half that of the coach seat.

Y and B should be 300% PQMs.
There's a critical distinction though: buying a premium cabin seat is always discretionary, so UA may want to incentivize it.

By contrast, buying a Y or B fare generally represents a business or personal need for flexible or last-minute travel. UA may see no reason to incentivize those purchases further by providing additional PQM, even if the actual profitability of those transactions is greater.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 10:01 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
There's a critical distinction though: buying a premium cabin seat is always discretionary, so UA may want to incentivize it.
Well, except in the very limited cases of contractual front cabin travel (e.g. the SAG). Those don't make up a ton of business, but they were important enough that UA ran 3-class birds on LAX-JFK for years, until the SAG stopped requiring 3-cabin F.

By contrast, buying a Y or B fare generally represents a business or personal need for flexible or last-minute travel. UA may see no reason to incentivize those purchases further by providing additional PQM, even if the actual profitability of those transactions is greater.
This is very true. People aren't buying Y/B without a strong business need, and certainly not in advance without one.

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
well, that goes back to the question of who's the better customer. The person who flys UA once a year from LAX-DXB in Full F for over $15,000 or the person who's a 1K, flying short hops weekly & barely making 1K or min spend. Any business is going to want that passenger that flys once a year, has no status (and does not care), and gives that airlines more $$ then many of their top tier flyers. That person flying once a year really deserves more recognition, unfortunately the program's just don't work that way
True to a degree, but that neglects the value of a customer you know you have vs. one you hope to have. And as you go on to point out, UA isn't the airline who can count on those full fare F tickets due to the quality of their product.

It is surprising they are so focused on people buying business or first.

B or Y coach fares are far more profitable than a discounted first class ticket. They generally cost more than first and the cost of the seat space and service is less than half that of the coach seat.

This is one strike against this being the first step toward a purely spend-based approach for status. I suspect spend will play a bigger role as the program evolves (probably with a dual-track program coming soon, with spend + miles *or* spend-only at a higher level as qualifications), but we have a program change which in fact doesn't reward the top economy fares any more than the old one did, yet rewards the generally-cheaper discount front cabin fares significantly more.

OTOH, something else to keep in mind is that Y/B fares are in most cases fully changeable and refundable, which lowers the actual revenue slightly as pax will inevitably change and cancel them with no incremental income to UA and in fact some potential for lost income due to inventory spoilage. Discount F fares still have $200 change fees domestically and $300 internationally, aren't refundable, etc., so if someone cancels or changes, UA pockets that incremental revenue.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 10:14 am
formerly fkhatibloo

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, Omni Select
Sigh. I frequently buy M fares because they're allowable under my company policy, are often immediately upgraded as a 1K. Confoundingly, they're also sometimes more expensive than discount business fares. Such a bummer that we can't benefit from this.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Would rather see the 75k FF mileage cap eliminated, or raised at the very least.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by FrenchBullies1975
Sigh. I frequently buy M fares because they're allowable under my company policy,
No, Y,B and M should be left alone - they are economy fares, and I bet you UA knows exactly how many OPM flyers are forced to buy those fares vs business fares. They already have a mechanism for rewarding Y OPM flyers in RDMs.

Lets leave high status earnings to those who actually buy the premium cabins, not upgrade into it.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by FrenchBullies1975
Sigh. I frequently buy M fares because they're allowable under my company policy, are often immediately upgraded as a 1K. Confoundingly, they're also sometimes more expensive than discount business fares. Such a bummer that we can't benefit from this.
It's definitely a bummer to learn you're not the target audience of a promotion or initiative such as this. UA must believe they're already capturing sufficient revenue from those buying M fares.

P.S. Love your screen name -- I also have a Frenchie.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, Global Entry, Citi Prestige, Chase MileagePlus Club
It's definitely a bummer to learn you're not the target audience of a promotion or initiative such as this. UA must believe they're already capturing sufficient revenue from those buying M fares.
That's pretty much where I land on the whole thing. They are a business, and they have calculated that it makes sense for them to entice/court those spending the big money over us plebs.

In the end, I still think they should just drop all the pretenses of the MP program, status, etc. and just start handing out perks based on money spent because at this point MP is NOT about being a frequent flyer anymore.

Last edited by StringerBellBivDeVoe; Dec 17, 2015 at 12:55 pm
Old Dec 17, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
I've been buying up to P from lowest Y fares from my own pocked when the fares are low enough. This change will help me get to 1K for 2017. I have two P-class RDU-HKG trips already booked. I'm happy.

I'm less happy with my zero luck trying to confirm travel to NRT and FRA over 8 months out. It's never been this hard for me before.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by exerda
Both very valid points and ones I hope UA starts addressing. It shouldn't be do hard to give UA extra $$.
Agree 100%. At the beginning of 2015, I started my gradual withdrawal from 1K. I used my GPUs early to confirm upgrades at purchase, and during the remainder of the bought discount F for personal travel. Since UA has lost many of the GSA city pair contracts for my business travel, I spent (and will next year) far more time on AA - where my UG rate was happily high.

I look forward to crossing 1MM next year, but my days of doing over 100000 miles a year are thankfully coming to a close.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 1:55 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by halls120
Agree 100%. At the beginning of 2015, I started my gradual withdrawal from 1K. I used my GPUs early to confirm upgrades at purchase, and during the remainder of the bought discount F for personal travel. Since UA has lost many of the GSA city pair contracts for my business travel, I spent (and will next year) far more time on AA - where my UG rate was happily high.

I look forward to crossing 1MM next year, but my days of doing over 100000 miles a year are thankfully coming to a close.
Speaking of being hard to give UA money, I was trying to upfare a POS-IAH leg. The Web site offers it to me in P, for $160 more than my E fare, but then errors out after payment. Calling res, they say it's only available in D for $770 and just to stick out the waitlist. Web Support says they can't offer the P fare because I already have IAH-IAD cleared into R via instrument ().

So far, no one has figured out how to take my $160 (I haven't even gotten far enough to ask for a waiver of the $200 change fee ).

This is common once you have an instrument waitlisted IME; the Web site has major issues offering you an upfare. Why is it hard to give UA money?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by rankourabu
No, Y,B and M should be left alone - they are economy fares, and I bet you UA knows exactly how many OPM flyers are forced to buy those fares vs business fares. They already have a mechanism for rewarding Y OPM flyers in RDMs.

Lets leave high status earnings to those who actually buy the premium cabins, not upgrade into it.
Exactly, Y/B fares are economy fares with added flexibility and the ability to exchange/refund, which doesn't equate to upgrade or premium. The new PQM is the status earning mechanism for premium cabin purchases.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...So far, no one has figured out how to take my $160...
The bartender at the finest-bar-between-passenger-drop-off-and-the-terminal-doors-in-the-world will take your money at POS (also my vote for best airport code). Mighty fine beer drinking out there.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This is common once you have an instrument waitlisted IME; the Web site has major issues offering you an upfare. Why is it hard to give UA money?
Excellent question. Earlier this year I was on a US-operated AA flight that I wanted to upgrade using $$. Couldn't do it on line of course, so I called the Plat line. They tried to take my money over the phone, and eventually told me I would have to do it at the airport, which I did.

It seems that UA isn't the only airline that makes it hard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.