Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earn more PQMs for premium cabin travel starting in 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Starting January 1, 2016, you’ll earn more Premier qualifying miles (PQMs) for full-fare and discounted First or Business – up to double the current rate. The higher PQM rates go into effect for flights starting January 1, 2016 regardless of booking date.

New 2016 PQM Earning for United and United Express:

Full-fare First or Business (F, J): 300% (Currently 150%)
Discounted First or Business (A, C, D, Z, P): 200% (Currently 150%)
Full-fare Economy (Y, B): 150% (No Change)
Discounted Economy (M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, N): 100% (No Change)

Please check back shortly for full details regarding this change at mileageplusupdates.com. In addition to United and United Express operated flights, PQM earnings for select Star Alliance partners are also increasing.

Thank you,

-UA Insider
This change does not impact PQS.

UA Insider
Hi everyone. For clarification, there are no changes to the PQD credit card waiver.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Earn more PQMs for premium cabin travel starting in 2016

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2015, 5:36 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ORDAuD
I'm surprised at the number of responses from people who will be able to take advantage of this. I thought most companies are like mine where all flights are mandated to be lowest fare. Paying for an upgraded cabin is virtually unheard of.
Absolutely true that companies won't pay. But you're missing 2 points that are incentives for me personally.

First, UA often offers upgrades on my work flights for $100-200. On long flights that can be tempting for the bigger seat, but I'm usually not willing to use my own money. This makes it a more interesting proposition.

Second, nearly every business traveler is also a vacation traveler. Typically about 20% of my travel is personal. This is going to be a big opportunity when I find myself short of PQM's, which is fairly often flying out of ORD on mainly all nonstop flights.

The change doesn't matter to people who easily make PQM's every year, but just look at all the threads started by people who are trying to get another 1000 PQM's without booking another flight. This is going to help those of us who easily make PQD's but fall short on PQM's, and who happen to be pretty profitable customers for UA.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 5:48 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by physioprof
There is a recent thread with reports of some Flyertalkers (including myself) who routinely buy J/F seats:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rst-class.html
I did see that thread. A mix of people who pay their own way and ones who are able to charge their company (or a client) for a first class ticket. They must not use the same software that my company does. It forces the absolute cheapest fare regardless of airline. It even creates an overnight stay even if that makes the overall trip more expensive.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by hookthem
This further dilutes 1K benefits from my perspective. I have no problem meeting the PQD requirement as-is, and frequently purchase first/biz. Unless they drastically raise the PQD threshold, this is a negative change.
How could this "dilute" your benefits? You frequently purchase F/biz so upgrades aren't impacted. The other benefits, such as no fee award redeposit, aren't affected by a larger herd.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:23 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I did see that thread. A mix of people who pay their own way and ones who are able to charge their company (or a client) for a first class ticket. They must not use the same software that my company does. It forces the absolute cheapest fare regardless of airline. It even creates an overnight stay even if that makes the overall trip more expensive.
Based on that description, I would say your company's policy and technology is more restrictive than most others.

It's more typical to present lowest cost options but not force them, and to require documented explanations for selecting a different option, in my experience. I've never heard of a forced overnight stay either, most companies value an employee's time actually working (not that it isn't possible from a hotel room) more than saving a few dollars on the difference between a flight and extra hotel night.

I hope the rest of your company's policies are more employee-friendly!
Old Dec 17, 2015, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
So if I purchase a ticket in Economy and take a TOD up to first (domestic), would I get the PQM bonus?

Similarily (and I apologize if this is common knowledge) would that TOD money be reflected in RDMs?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 7:39 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I'm surprised at the number of responses from people who will be able to take advantage of this. I thought most companies are like mine where all flights are mandated to be lowest fare. Paying for an upgraded cabin is virtually unheard of.
Large companies, yes (though some of them also allow purchase of business class over 6 hours or so). In a number of professional firms, the firms pay only for economy, ever, but professionals are permitted out of their own pocket to buy upgrades as TODs, miles and copay, or buy it outright (or the popular method of buying the upgrade on the overnight leg, and using miles and copay for the daytime flight, where R is usually more available). In my experience, including my own, for international or transcon, many do. These are the people who also have the power to decide which flight and airline they will take, whereas in a number of large companies, they flyer does not have much choice. This change might attract more of these professionals to choose UA more often. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by teeceedee
So if I purchase a ticket in Economy and take a TOD up to first (domestic), would I get the PQM bonus?

Similarily (and I apologize if this is common knowledge) would that TOD money be reflected in RDMs?
I'm assuming that it will not change relative to the current system... which is that unless the buy-up changes the underlying fare class, you will not receive any bonuses.

Great change. Would definitely have helped me out this year, so presumably a nice change moving forward.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
It is surprising they are so focused on people buying business or first.

B or Y coach fares are far more profitable than a discounted first class ticket. They generally cost more than first and the cost of the seat space and service is less than half that of the coach seat.

Y and B should be 300% PQMs.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
I fly ORD-PDX/SEA quite a bit for work and there are usually a couple times a year when the P fares are equal to, or less than, the economy fares. It'll be nice to get the added bump in PQM when/if that pops up next year.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Looks to me like the first step towards functionally eliminating CPUs. Basically an attempt to make people actually want to pay to sit in F, rather than get upgraded, for the extra PQMs.
Or in other words, finally adopting the European system. Most people in the industry have been waiting for years for this to happen. Now with consolidation it is inevitable. Eventually the only upgrades will be dearly earned certificates or op-ups.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
for million miles, is that just BIS or include the class of service bonus?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:41 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I think a lot of you are reading too much into this. Yes, we here on FT make a big deal of status, track our RDMs, EQMs, etc.

Anecdotally...My brother-in-law flies a few times a month for work. He uses his miles to fly his family of four in coach to Florida, regardless of the fare. In conversation last Christmas, he told me "Delta made me Platinum! I have no idea what I did to get that, but I'll take it" (and only after the conversation with me did he learn that Platinum isn't their top level--I know this and I'm not even a Delta flyer--he takes Delta a few times a month and had no idea).

I don't think he's atypical of the business traveler. Most people do not chase status like we do. Most people do not do mileage runs. Matter of fact, there are confirmed stories on here about the people we've sat to next to over the years that say "What are these GPUs that I see in my account?"

The extra 50% on the F (A, P) fares that we buy aren't really that big of a deal if you think about it. ORD-LAS is ~1500 miles. 2250 EQMs under the old system. 3000 under the new--750 miles. Sure, it's nice, but it's not THAT big of a deal. Yeah, FULL F gets you 4500, but how many FULL F flyers are there? Less than one would think--and those that are buying it are NOT doing it because they earn status quicker.

I, as stated on the first page will benefit, but I chase status. I know the system. It's personally important to me (for better or worse). Your typical Full F buyer doesn't--and nothing changes in regards to your 'competition' with that flyer anyway--(s)he was buying F before and will buy F again.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Looks to me like the first step towards functionally eliminating CPUs. Basically an attempt to make people actually want to pay to sit in F, rather than get upgraded, for the extra PQMs. What I would expect next would be a new way to prioritize the upgrade list, possibly using an algorithm that includes PQDs.

I think this could have a substantial effect on increasing paid upgrades to F (at least those that would qualify for the DPQM bonus).

A smart business move, I think. A few years ago, no way. Comp'd upgrades into F were an elite entitlement. Jeff's reign weaned many of us off that train. The kickback today won't be anything like it would have been three years ago.

How will it effect me? 'Cuz it's all about me, right? As a Plat, I haven't predictably had a seat in F for the past three years. Main thing, I think, will be that better seats in Y won't be suddenly opening up at the clearance windows like they used to.

Absolute serious in saying this is a really intelligent change by United. The lower-tier HVFs will simply be buying into F instead of thinking an upgrade might clear. United has most likely satisfied the majority of people who matter to the bottom line. Those falling underneath, well, there's always "the network." That and Katie Nolan.
well said and agree... and Katie

also to add my "perspective": I too chase status .. and achingly close to 1MM. This year I have PQD for Plat (as well as $25K spend on CC) but will be 20K short on PQM. I travel 90% for business and always "required" at the "lowest" fare .. but I know how to make the system work to my advantage and when I need to position myself in order to make sure UA falls into the "lower" range horseshoes close. On the International flights I'll usually find a way to TOD or miles+co-pay and on the 10% vacation travel always pay for F/BF. With an extra MR in paid BF next year I should be able to hit the PQM and make Plat that much easier to achieve.

As mentioned in an earlier thread.. I can see the trend going to a revenue-based only FF plan. Seems like just a matter of time.

Last edited by NH_Clark; Dec 17, 2015 at 8:54 am
Old Dec 17, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by mrswirl
I love how a person can be a top-tier "frequent" flyer elite with all of 3 TATL round trips in F while the domestic segment warrior who flies weekly (mostly on RJs) still has to stuggle to get 120 PQS.
well, that goes back to the question of who's the better customer. The person who flys UA once a year from LAX-DXB in Full F for over $15,000 or the person who's a 1K, flying short hops weekly & barely making 1K or min spend. Any business is going to want that passenger that flys once a year, has no status (and does not care), and gives that airlines more $$ then many of their top tier flyers. That person flying once a year really deserves more recognition, unfortunately the program's just don't work that way

The really "good" airlines don't need to worry about how this. I flew ETIHAD twice this year as I stick w EK (not even a member of Etihads FF program) - but with NO status it didn't matter cuz as an F class passenger you are treated as well or better then top tier FF members. Almost all the better foreign airlines are like this. No way would SQ, EK, LH, etc make a F class passengers feel like they are a 2nd class passenger. UA on the other hand will tell a FULL FARE F Intl passenger (even a 1K) to go to the back of boarding group 1. Does not matter if he's on a $15,000 tkt. That's no way to treat this kind of passenger (which is why airlines like UA can't make a go of first class & sell premium class tkts on the cheap
Old Dec 17, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
well, that goes back to the question of who's the better customer. The person who flys UA once a year from LAX-DXB in Full F for over $15,000 or the person who's a 1K, flying short hops weekly & barely making 1K or min spend.
The last time I flew DEN-DXB roundtrip it was $5K in coach (last minute). I think United wants to keep the people spending 3K-5K, because there are a lot more of them. They are not going to survive on the small number of people spending 15K for first.

As you say, the people who spend $1500 for LAX-DXB are just filler and there are plenty of tourists to replace the low-value 1Ks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.