Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earn more PQMs for premium cabin travel starting in 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Starting January 1, 2016, you’ll earn more Premier qualifying miles (PQMs) for full-fare and discounted First or Business – up to double the current rate. The higher PQM rates go into effect for flights starting January 1, 2016 regardless of booking date.

New 2016 PQM Earning for United and United Express:

Full-fare First or Business (F, J): 300% (Currently 150%)
Discounted First or Business (A, C, D, Z, P): 200% (Currently 150%)
Full-fare Economy (Y, B): 150% (No Change)
Discounted Economy (M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, N): 100% (No Change)

Please check back shortly for full details regarding this change at mileageplusupdates.com. In addition to United and United Express operated flights, PQM earnings for select Star Alliance partners are also increasing.

Thank you,

-UA Insider
This change does not impact PQS.

UA Insider
Hi everyone. For clarification, there are no changes to the PQD credit card waiver.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Earn more PQMs for premium cabin travel starting in 2016

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
I can absolutely see why some are excited by this - I would be too if I was a plat or gold spending a decent amount and not getting 1K.

For those of us that are "hardways" 1K's though (mostly domestic) the bloating of the (already bloated) 1K ranks is a devaluation. Now, how much of a devaluation is up for debate seeing as CPU's very rarely clear and many GPUs are left to die on the battlefield.

One thing is for sure: The Group 1 line just went from an already ridiculous 50 people to what will be obscene numbers at the hubs.

Making GS just got WAY more important.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by StringerBellBivDeVoe
I agree. I'm sure United crunched the data and ran the numbers and whatnot, but all I can it doing is inflating the numbers of 1Ks
This was my first thought, too.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by 2358
At last a change I like!!

As someone who mainly flies International BF, but spends $25-30k pa on tickets this means I will make 1K rather than Gold.

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but presumably this will make it even harder redeeming upgrades though?
I agree. I buy a fair amount of international businessfirst (when I can't upgrade), and even domestically will often buy up to first if the price is right. (Pretty much all for business. My employer only pays economy, the rest is out of my own pocket.) My PQDs have normally been at the 1K level already. But a quick look would show that I would be around 100PQMs had this been in place in 2016. Now, the one reason to me for chasing 1K would be to get the GPUs. I have never chased status before; getting to Gold on UA has just been the consequence of where the cheapest business class tickets and best routes were for me in 2015 and AF doing less discounting. I might still not make it, though. Another factor is that for next year's work trips BA may be the best choice.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
How about more BF fare sales then?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, Global Entry, Citi Prestige, Chase MileagePlus Club
Originally Posted by greg99
This was my first thought, too.
Furthermore, who does this really help? If you are one who is booking in F/J all the time anyway, what do you need status for? You're already in Group 1, you are getting your free checked bags, priority screening, etc. I just don't get it - combined with the revenue-based reward miles, they are really drawing a CLEAR line between the rich/OPM flyers and us plebs. And wouldn't this actually encourage some F/J flyers to NOT book F/J anymore knowing that they can get better CPU chances (I know, I know...) after they get their easy 1K?

Thumbs down.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by exerda
One thing I did just realize, though, is that when there's no available F on a connecting route (e.g. the Devil's Chariot or other RJs lacking F), you often pay more $$ for that short connecting segment than the longer one in the front cabin, but it will book into Y and thus earn only 150%.

Shame you can't have it book as F throughout, even if there aren't F segments available...
Taking this a little further.. I'm wondering what is going to happen if you've paid for discounted first class (even an UP fare) and decide to SDC to a different routing where one segment only has economy available..either a 1 cabin RJ, or F is full so you're put in Y. Do you get 150% or 200%?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: United Gold
This is good for me (not great, but good), since I've been buying mostly P fares anyways ^
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Thinking about this some more, this is mostly about 2017. Sure, ranks will grow some over the course of the year, and we can quibble about how many people are doing 3-4 biz intercontinental flights a year and not already making 1K ( I personally think it's material but not overwhelming), but it's mostly a second half 2016/2017 issue.

Given that, I suspect, together with the (presumably) pricey enhancements they're making to C, together with AA's reduction in SWU's to 4, we're going to see some "changes we're going to like" to GPU earning or/and usage for 2017.

Otherwise the math doesn't work out...

Greg
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by spotfin
Love it, with CPUs and even RPUs rarely clearing, I have been buying discounted domestic F at very reasonable prices, this is great!
Totally agreed! Kudos to United for this change. Yet another reason to purchase premium cabin fares.

Tim
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, Global Entry, Citi Prestige, Chase MileagePlus Club
Originally Posted by raehl311
This is just a match to AA.
UA would much rather use their free upgrades to keep people who spend $12k/yr (the PQD req for 1K now) on three flights than lower tier elites.
Maybe it is because I'm tied to hubs (ORD/SFO/LAX), but I'm not seeing anyone less than 1Ks getting upgraded anyway - as a 1K my CPU rate is under 35% already.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:14 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jnb_tx
Does "no changes to the PQD credit card waiver" mean the waiver will also be valid for 2016? Or "no changes to the PQD credit card waiver" as in "we already said it is only valid for 2014 and 2015 and we're sticking to that"? I may be reading this with my lawyer hat on, but it seems to be an important point for a lot of folks here and UA Insider's response could be taken either way.
I think the intent of UA Insider's post was clear, and the CC spend PQD waiver will remain in place. It will also still only be valid up to Plat.

Originally Posted by HoyaSFOIAD
I can absolutely see why some are excited by this - I would be too if I was a plat or gold spending a decent amount and not getting 1K.

For those of us that are "hardways" 1K's though (mostly domestic) the bloating of the (already bloated) 1K ranks is a devaluation. Now, how much of a devaluation is up for debate seeing as CPU's very rarely clear and many GPUs are left to die on the battlefield.
CPUs have been dead for a while IME. Heck, for me, RPUs are dead.

Hence one reason I like this change, as I have started buying the majority of my domestic travel as paid premium fares. It annoys me I haven't been able to use all of my RPUs, and have failed on baffling dates/times/routes, but given I have no control over that, I have sighed, given in, and bought F.

Originally Posted by HoyaSFOIAD
One thing is for sure: The Group 1 line just went from an already ridiculous 50 people to what will be obscene numbers at the hubs.
I'll be interested to see. Group 1 at IAD is already a nightmare; I don't know if it can get worse. OTOH, if you're already buying paid premium cabin fares, you're in Group 1 regardless of status, so the net effect will probably be less than we fear.

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
Phenomenal news. This will definitely help convince me to buy advance A and P fares on my transcons rather than picking 6am flights and playing the CPU lottery.
I've lost the RPU lottery on 6am flights. This will only serve to encourage me even more to buy paid F instead of using instruments (the instruments I'll use on friends & family).

I agree. I'm sure United crunched the data and ran the numbers and whatnot, but all I can it doing is inflating the numbers of 1Ks, making those already tough CPUs even tougher to get.
I don't know that I have received a single CPU this year. Granted, I have bought a lot of paid F and C, but I honestly don't think I have had a single Y flight clear via CPU, even when booked in Y or B fares.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:23 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Taking this a little further.. I'm wondering what is going to happen if you've paid for discounted first class (even an UP fare) and decide to SDC to a different routing where one segment only has economy available..either a 1 cabin RJ, or F is full so you're put in Y. Do you get 150% or 200%?
150% would be my guess: You'll earn based on the posted fare class. (I have been in that exact situation, too, even upfaring at SDC to go from my discounted F to a full Y fare...)
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by greg99
Thinking about this some more, this is mostly about 2017. Sure, ranks will grow some over the course of the year, and we can quibble about how many people are doing 3-4 biz intercontinental flights a year and not already making 1K ( I personally think it's material but not overwhelming...
You're also bumping Golds and Plats into 1K and issuing a lot more RPUs and GPUs to current 1Ks and GSs. People are already whining about the instruments not clearing - there's going to be a lot more vying for the same seats.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
I agree. I'm sure United crunched the data and ran the numbers and whatnot, but all I can it doing is inflating the numbers of 1Ks, making those already tough CPUs even tougher to get.

As a guy that gets his 1K the hard way, one PQM per BIS mile, this makes me both sad and a bit jealous.
i wouldn't be too sad. People who buy the front cabins are already Group 1, and are already paying for their F seats with $$ rather than CPUs. It will presumably be tougher to get upgraded from BF to GF on an International flight, but I see the real value in irropps.

As a GS, even a 1K, I would be offered more options than a Gold when things went wrong - as long as nothing else changes, no one really loses out too much from this change.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
Another 'change I like'. Thanks UA! I already had four status - run flights booked in international P in January and February 2016 to jumpstart my status to Platinum; now those same flights will vault me to 1K. I'm the flyer who is apparently much despised, flying just four flights and making 1K. However, that's on my dime, thankyouverymuch. My employer only pays for the cheapest economy and I will pay my own way to upgrade if required.

That said, I agree with those who intuit that making it easier to make 1K must eventually result in downgrades to the benefits of the lower tiers, or perhaps the creation of new, higher tiers??? Either way, UA is focusing on the high value passenger with added benefits and services and it should pay off in the long run.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.