Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earn more PQMs for premium cabin travel starting in 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Starting January 1, 2016, you’ll earn more Premier qualifying miles (PQMs) for full-fare and discounted First or Business – up to double the current rate. The higher PQM rates go into effect for flights starting January 1, 2016 regardless of booking date.

New 2016 PQM Earning for United and United Express:

Full-fare First or Business (F, J): 300% (Currently 150%)
Discounted First or Business (A, C, D, Z, P): 200% (Currently 150%)
Full-fare Economy (Y, B): 150% (No Change)
Discounted Economy (M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, N): 100% (No Change)

Please check back shortly for full details regarding this change at mileageplusupdates.com. In addition to United and United Express operated flights, PQM earnings for select Star Alliance partners are also increasing.

Thank you,

-UA Insider
This change does not impact PQS.

UA Insider
Hi everyone. For clarification, there are no changes to the PQD credit card waiver.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Earn more PQMs for premium cabin travel starting in 2016

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2015, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, Global Entry, Citi Prestige, Chase MileagePlus Club
Originally Posted by Boraxo

With all due respect that's absurd. Nobody is going to pay hundreds or thousands to "buy up" just for a few EQMs. Anybody who truly values F is already paying for it - in many cases the price differential is not that significant (i.e. I'm only paying $200 for Y->F for 6 hours of flying from Mexico to USA - almost the same price as those 500mi upgrades used to cost).
That is not what I meant to say. I'm saying that it will make it that much harder to land an upgrade (by any means), and that if you want to sit in first, you're going to have to buy it. I don't think anyone is going to buy up for the PQMs (unless maybe the price is super-lucrative, but I doubt that is going to have any wide-spread effect).

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Rather, the objective here is to incentivize customers to fly on UA's inferior international C/F product instead of *A like SQ etc. without spending millions to upgrade the product. And it may very well work for those at the margins - I would forego SQ if it meant I could achieve 1K rather than 1P.
This is a good theory, and probably the most likely reason. I can't really think of any other compelling reason for UA to do this otherwise.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 6:12 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
I very much like the fact that the PQM bonus is extended to Star Alliance partners such as Lufthansa and Swiss.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Richym99
I don't doubt that some may be negatively impacted by this personally, but lets just acknowledge first and foremost that contrary to the general level of predictions across this board that UA were going to continue to remove benefits for all frequent flyers, they have actually given us something extra. I cannot recall on single prediction from anyone that PQM earnings would be increased in any way in 2016, so anything that they give should be accepted as a bonus, not slated.
The group you're not taking into account is those of us that are 1Ks mostly based on domestic travel who go well beyond 100k PQM (150k+), still end up spending a boatload 30,40,50k and miss GS. Every incremental PQM in that scenario is worthless and the devaluation hits those miles. These are the customers UA kinda leaves in in the dust with changes like this.

Delta did something about this with DM. United needs to consider it.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, Global Entry, Citi Prestige, Chase MileagePlus Club
Originally Posted by chleonard
+1, sadly I fall into the same group I have a lot of long-haul work travel scheduled this year (so far already have booked 2 round-trip TATLs in Jan, and have a likely TPAC in Feb - all in Y) and this pretty much kills any enthusiasm I had for possibly making 1K this year or for that matter even trying to stay loyal to UA. What's the point if they're just giving away status to the folks who don't need it in the first place?

That being said, I can see the rationale, will definitely encourage more folks to pay their way into F/J.
I'm in the same boat as well. What they should do is instead of doing all this tracking of status and perks, is scrap the FF program altogether and just sell different tickets for different class of service at different prices for those who can pay for them. Oh wait....

Last edited by StringerBellBivDeVoe; Dec 16, 2015 at 7:26 pm
Old Dec 16, 2015, 7:19 pm

So, if one is able to net a BF fare 2x of the W fare and they get 2x PQMs, then it's better to just pay BF once a while.

Two BF US-Asias will be already 80k PQMs. Nice and easy. ^
Old Dec 16, 2015, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Meaningless move, as you will NOT earn PQD flying *A carrier on *A carrier stock.
Uh, I believe the OP's issue is not meeting PQDs - it's getting the PQMs which is the dilemma of those who travel on high $ tickets, but not a lot of trips. The OP probably easily clears the PQD hurdles, but the PQM requirements have been keeping him/her on United or *A. Now that he/she gets the PQMs faster, other (more convenient) airlines will benefit.

I think the point is well taken - if RPUs an GPUs become harder to use than they are now (due to mushrooming 1Ks and Plats), PQMs beyond the qualifying threshold to get those upgrade certificates become less of an incentive to stick with United.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by HoyaSFOIAD
The group you're not taking into account is those of us that are 1Ks mostly based on domestic travel who go well beyond 100k PQM (150k+), still end up spending a boatload 30,40,50k and miss GS. Every incremental PQM in that scenario is worthless and the devaluation hits those miles. These are the customers UA kinda leaves in in the dust with changes like this.

Delta did something about this with DM. United needs to consider it.
Yep, I'm in this boat as well. I'll do 130K PQM this year. About 50% domestic. Another 50-100K does almost nothing for me. I will still be 1K at around $35k PQD. I might get a few more RPU/GPUs BUT, I see a lot more 1Ks in 2016 with this program change and that will just dilute my already dismal CPU success.

Nothing in this for me....
Old Dec 16, 2015, 7:26 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Thanks UA. I'm very happy with this change. I hope it's not mitigated by an enhancement to requirements for requalification in a years time. This will make it a comfortable year to maintain UA G for my 11th consecutive year.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I guess this goes to show that I'm the customer who UA doesn't care about. 1K several years in a row but all earned through Y international. Company certainly won't pay for me to fly first class so the extra PQM are irrelevant to me, and it will make my occasional GPU upgrade successes even more occasional...

Still, as long as this is the only change for next year, it's not so bad.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 7:35 pm

Well this sucks....now more 1K's. I see this as a major devaluation to their current 1K's....meaning benefits will become less and the perks go down more, creating more separation between 1K & GS.

The only benefit this will help me with is that I'll earn more RPUs and GPUs, but honestly, what is the positive in that when they never clear.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
The beginning of fully-monetized F

Looks to me like the first step towards functionally eliminating CPUs. Basically an attempt to make people actually want to pay to sit in F, rather than get upgraded, for the extra PQMs. What I would expect next would be a new way to prioritize the upgrade list, possibly using an algorithm that includes PQDs.

I think this could have a substantial effect on increasing paid upgrades to F (at least those that would qualify for the DPQM bonus).

A smart business move, I think. A few years ago, no way. Comp'd upgrades into F were an elite entitlement. Jeff's reign weaned many of us off that train. The kickback today won't be anything like it would have been three years ago.

How will it effect me? 'Cuz it's all about me, right? As a Plat, I haven't predictably had a seat in F for the past three years. Main thing, I think, will be that better seats in Y won't be suddenly opening up at the clearance windows like they used to.

Absolute serious in saying this is a really intelligent change by United. The lower-tier HVFs will simply be buying into F instead of thinking an upgrade might clear. United has most likely satisfied the majority of people who matter to the bottom line. Those falling underneath, well, there's always "the network." That and Katie Nolan.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by dank0014
Well this sucks....now more 1K's. I see this as a major devaluation to their current 1K's....meaning benefits will become less and the perks go down more, creating more separation between 1K & GS.

The only benefit this will help me with is that I'll earn more RPUs and GPUs, but honestly, what is the positive in that when they never clear.
I don't think there will be too many additional 1Ks cause if they are spending that much in the first place, they (more often than not) probably got comped to 1K anyway.

Your second point I agree with although there will be more RPUs and GPUs in the system + less F space because people would be buying more F. The net result would be less upgrades opportunities for elites.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
Originally Posted by mrswirl

I love how a person can be a top-tier "frequent" flyer elite with all of 3 TATL round trips in F while the domestic segment warrior who flies weekly (mostly on RJs) still has to stuggle to get 120 PQS.
May I pointout that these people, who only fly 3 round-trips a year, a not the ones we should be worried about. Because they only fly three roundtrips a year, they're not the people were competing against for upgrades.

I could care less how many 1K flyers there are in the united system. I care a great deal about how many 1K flyers there are ahead of me on the list for a single given flight.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Thanks UA. This is great for me and should result in 2 extra RPU's next year at minimum.

I don't buy the conspiracy theories. This is simply matching the AA earning rate to avoid loss of customers. Nothing more, nothing less. Just smart concern about being competitive.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Nice move UA ^ although 300% only for F and J is tough ... would have been nice to see intl. A also @ 300%. 200% instead of 150% and not having to avoid LH/OS on P fares is HUGE for me ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.