Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earn more PQMs for premium cabin travel starting in 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Starting January 1, 2016, you’ll earn more Premier qualifying miles (PQMs) for full-fare and discounted First or Business – up to double the current rate. The higher PQM rates go into effect for flights starting January 1, 2016 regardless of booking date.

New 2016 PQM Earning for United and United Express:

Full-fare First or Business (F, J): 300% (Currently 150%)
Discounted First or Business (A, C, D, Z, P): 200% (Currently 150%)
Full-fare Economy (Y, B): 150% (No Change)
Discounted Economy (M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, N): 100% (No Change)

Please check back shortly for full details regarding this change at mileageplusupdates.com. In addition to United and United Express operated flights, PQM earnings for select Star Alliance partners are also increasing.

Thank you,

-UA Insider
This change does not impact PQS.

UA Insider
Hi everyone. For clarification, there are no changes to the PQD credit card waiver.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Earn more PQMs for premium cabin travel starting in 2016

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
What kind of fares are you buying? The Delta 125K for diamond is kind of deceptive since they are already offering 200% bonuses on full F/J.

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Personally, I think this change is more to entice more people like me to swap from Delta. The 100K vs 125K XQM limit was one reason i swapped, I fly enough to get 100K, but not enough for 125K, mileage runs are hard because i am on call 24/7/365 except 2 weeks vacation. I would have a hard time explaining to my boss why I can't be at XXX in 8 hours.

My spend the past few years on Delta has always been been 25K and up, but never higher than Platinum.

It comes down to chicken/egg....Who has more value?

Someone who flys 125K EQM per year and spends 12,000 PQD or someone who flies 75K EQM and spends 25,000 PQD?

The second person int hat equation will feel slighted though as they spend twice as much money, but get less benefits. This formula will help equal that out IMHO

/puts soapbox away
Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
What kind of fares are you buying? The Delta 125K for diamond is kind of deceptive since they are already offering 200% bonuses on full F/J.
I am required to buy refundable, usually last minute (I am FULLY aware you can cancel in 24 hours, but it isn't always that simple) and if the beancounters don't see a GIANT refundable on the ticket, I get my ... chewed PERIOD

On Delta, refundable isn't always Y/B/M, and rarely is it Y/B/M. So, I still only earn 100% MQM. So far, my experience in United it has always been Y or B, which earns me 150%

Now, my RDM/Skypesos earning is thru the roof, but status is still hard to earn

This is all domestic, few trips to Canada. 2016 will be my first year with significant TATL and I can buy J fare for those trips.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
I think the single biggest change this will have, on reflection, is that there will be a GPU proliferation that further exacerbates the difficulty of using those instruments.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I think the single biggest change this will have, on reflection, is that there will be a GPU proliferation that further exacerbates the difficulty of using those instruments.
Or will it just substitute GPUs for miles and copay while the chances for upgrade remain the same? Upgrade space is upgrade space and there is just so much of it.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Artpen100
Or will it just substitute GPUs for miles and copay while the chances for upgrade remain the same? Upgrade space is upgrade space and there is just so much of it.
It shouldn't impact my strategy that much. I typically travel to business hubs on holiday weekends. Upgrade space is usually plentiful. So much for DBX this 4th of July though.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Artpen100
I thought about this as well... this is another reason that I feel that the PQD minimums need to be raised to balance out the distribution of status. Without a change to the PQD requirement, there will be more competition at the higher status levels than in years past (my gut tells me).

Upgrade space will be impacted by the additional RPU/GPU certificates in play. The one thing I would recommend is getting the RPU/GPU certificates applied as soon as possible because the tie-breaker for equal status / fare class is time of application of the instrument.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Just perusing through price tables for different destinations... the cost per PQM seems to be very inconsistent at best... for instance:

1) GRR-SFO (stop in ORD) with both segments in F class (ref)
--$677 PQD
--7,038 PQM
--$0.0962 PQD/PQM

2) GRR-SFO (stop in ORD) with both segments in M class (non-ref)
--$961 PQD
--2,346 PQM
--$0.4096 PQD/PQM

There are many other examples I could post, but this paints the picture. Status earning is not balanced with fare structure... Cheaper ticket in F earns MUCH faster than more expensive ticket in M.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Just perusing through price tables for different destinations... the cost per PQM seems to be very inconsistent at best... for instance:

1) GRR-SFO (stop in ORD) with both segments in F class (ref)
--$677 PQD
--7,038 PQM
--$0.0962 PQD/PQM

2) GRR-SFO (stop in ORD) with both segments in M class (non-ref)
--$961 PQD
--2,346 PQM
--$0.4096 PQD/PQM

There are many other examples I could post, but this paints the picture. Status earning is not balanced with fare structure... Cheaper ticket in F earns MUCH faster than more expensive ticket in M.
There've been some rather low /UPDIs with an F booking code. Something like U-up I've seen before. Wonder if they'll try to change that considering this.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Actually, I think you'll see more upfaring. I'll bet the additional GPUS will just be noise. I'm sure that's what United is counting on..
Old Dec 23, 2015, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I am required to buy refundable, usually last minute (I am FULLY aware you can cancel in 24 hours, but it isn't always that simple) and if the beancounters don't see a GIANT refundable on the ticket, I get my ... chewed PERIOD
<snip>

This is all domestic, few trips to Canada. 2016 will be my first year with significant TATL and I can buy J fare for those trips.
Wow, my situation is exactly the opposite. I'd get crucified if I sprung for a refundable fare. As for TATL (or even TPAC) J, not in my wildest dreams.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 4:02 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Thanks for nothing, United. Although travel is from January 1, ticketing is from Dec 15. How many of us do you think had already bought and ticketed travel for January thru March by then? Grrrr! Make it valid for all ticketed travel from Jan 1 and gain an admirer!!!
Old Dec 23, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by 1P
Thanks for nothing, United. Although travel is from January 1, ticketing is from Dec 15. How many of us do you think had already bought and ticketed travel for January thru March by then? Grrrr! Make it valid for all ticketed travel from Jan 1 and gain an admirer!!!
Not sure what you're referring to, but I have several flights next year that were ticketed many months ago, and I am seeing the new PQM earning rates on these itineraries.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by findark
There've been some rather low /UPDIs with an F booking code. Something like U-up I've seen before. Wonder if they'll try to change that considering this.
I've been wondering the same thing. Not only some good UPDI fares, but good buy ups as well lately. As someone whose PQDs outpaces my PQMs, this could be a pretty nice deal, the more I think about it. $100-200 on some flights to get 200% or more is interesting.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 4:37 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I would love to be in your situation but your beancounters must not be able to count very well. I spent $5,000 on change fees last year. I did an estimate of what I would have spent if I purchased all refundable coach tickets and it would have been $65,000 more. So the $5,000 in change fees saved $65,000 for me.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bldr1k
I would love to be in your situation but your beancounters must not be able to count very well. I spent $5,000 on change fees last year. I did an estimate of what I would have spent if I purchased all refundable coach tickets and it would have been $65,000 more. So the $5,000 in change fees saved $65,000 for me.

How much is it to cancel a ticket? My line of work not only changes minute to minute, but I might be going to Spain, and at the last minute change to Kansas, sometimes, on my way to the airport, i just turn around and go back home. I just don't have any clue where I will be going day to day. I have been re routed at a stopover, my luggage was lost and the client paid for me to go to Cabelas and buy all new clothes. Our jobs are driven by a combination of government regulators and people who have nothing to do with the job. Scheduling is a nightmare most of the time.

Also, if the job gets cancelled, and I lose the money, my boss eats it, if it is refundable no one eats it.

I also NEVER EVER book round trip, which used to cost a ton more, but now it is almost negligible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.