Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earn more PQMs for premium cabin travel starting in 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Starting January 1, 2016, you’ll earn more Premier qualifying miles (PQMs) for full-fare and discounted First or Business – up to double the current rate. The higher PQM rates go into effect for flights starting January 1, 2016 regardless of booking date.

New 2016 PQM Earning for United and United Express:

Full-fare First or Business (F, J): 300% (Currently 150%)
Discounted First or Business (A, C, D, Z, P): 200% (Currently 150%)
Full-fare Economy (Y, B): 150% (No Change)
Discounted Economy (M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, N): 100% (No Change)

Please check back shortly for full details regarding this change at mileageplusupdates.com. In addition to United and United Express operated flights, PQM earnings for select Star Alliance partners are also increasing.

Thank you,

-UA Insider
This change does not impact PQS.

UA Insider
Hi everyone. For clarification, there are no changes to the PQD credit card waiver.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Earn more PQMs for premium cabin travel starting in 2016

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2015, 1:42 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dank0014
Agree next year is going to be brutal for any chance of upgrades for 1Ks with this change. More RPU/GPUs in the marketplace, most likely an increase in number of 1Ks as it will be easier to obtain, and with cheap F fares and TODs limited supply. Basically demand will be up and supply will be down.
Personally, I think the number of 1Ks must have been way down this year for UA to do this to begin with--they've probably lost quite a few to AA and DL.

Given how poor my upgrade game was in 2015 with arguably many fewer 1Ks to compete with, I don't see it as possibly getting worse. Other factors are in play: cheap F fares (-UP/UPDI), TOD-esque buy-up offers, etc. I do think the change to the way non-1K, full-fare complimentary upgrades clear in 2016 may help slightly--as you won't be up against Silvers on Y/B fares during irrops or last-minute travel (though that will be a limited improvement).

For UA to raise PQDs to $20k, I'd darn sure want a commensurate bump in benefits, like better award & upgrade availability... and merely thinning the ranks will achieve neither.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by exerda
Personally, I think the number of 1Ks must have been way down this year for UA to do this to begin with--they've probably lost quite a few to AA and DL.

For UA to raise PQDs to $20k, I'd darn sure want a commensurate bump in benefits, like better award & upgrade availability... and merely thinning the ranks will achieve neither.
I would walk from UA if they raised the PQD to $20k for 1K. AA has no PQD requirement, even with their latest devaluation. I think many on this board would reassess their FF program in these circumstances.

As far as upgrades clearing, as 1K in 2015, 7/8 of my GPU requests eventually cleared. That is with some planning, of course.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Will be awesome for me. Can't wait. Will make 1K sooner than I thought.
I will be definitely looking at our overall spend this year on UA to see if there are some, um, "efficiencies" to be gained in our itins for next year
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Keeping the PQD Waiver intact is interesting(and something I'm certainly not complaining about). UA must be making some solid $$$ off whatever their arrangement is with Chase.

Is this about the predictability of revenue streams("We know N % of overall ticket revenue from UA Elites will come from a UA-branded card") or discounts on transactions between UA and Chase themselves ?

Just curious.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jet'Dillo
Keeping the PQD Waiver intact is interesting(and something I'm certainly not complaining about). UA must be making some solid $$$ off whatever their arrangement is with Chase.

Is this about the predictability of revenue streams("We know N % of overall ticket revenue from UA Elites will come from a UA-branded card") or discounts on transactions between UA and Chase themselves ?

Just curious.
That waiver only gets you Platinum
Old Dec 27, 2015, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite

I would support UA being the game changer and increasing PQD for $5k for each level making 1K $20k. Make your elite program truly elite.
I would support this. $20k seems like a good number. Maybe $25k.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 4:44 pm

Programs: *

I would support UA being the game changer and increasing PQD for $5k for each level making 1K $20k. Make your elite program truly elite.
There is already an elite program - it is called global services

Originally Posted by caiken
I would support this. $20k seems like a good number. Maybe $25k.
Why not 50K or 100 K or more? Where do we draw the line in a bid to create the super elite?
Old Dec 27, 2015, 4:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Originally Posted by ani90
Where do we draw the line in a bid to create the super elite?
The typical response to that question is "Right below me".
Old Dec 27, 2015, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by ani90
There is already an elite program - it is called global services

Why not 50K or 100 K or more? Where do we draw the line in a bid to create the super elite?
Status should strictly be measured by spend. The only thing BIS miles on UA metal should impact is LT status.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Status should strictly be measured by spend. The only thing BIS miles on UA metal should impact is LT status.
+1

Agree with this 'enhancement' to do away with PQM altogether
Old Dec 27, 2015, 6:50 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
TOPIC DRIFT ALERT

Please remember that this discussion is about earning more PQM's in premium cabin travel starting in 2016 but not a discussion about elite levels and/or the Mileage Plus program and its merits/demerits

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator
Old Dec 28, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Michael D
I see low fares for the F cabin but not fully refundable F fares.
The one I purchased is refundable (for that price) in F class.

I agree that some conversations have drifted off topic... but am interested to hear additional perspectives about why the pricing system (with the new changes to PQM earnings) is quite skewed.... My example last week is one of many many many examples of how spend and PQM earnings are still very detached, and likely even more-so than they once were.

Two things I am afraid of seeing with these changes:

1) People like me will be earning far more PQM's on the same level of spend, which means more instruments for upgrades will be in play.

2) Many more people will be earning higher status - my better half is a great example of someone that will likely make 1K vs. G or PT since she has more than enough spend to hit the top status..... more competition for upgrade space as a result.

I feel like I am going to have a bounty of worthless PQM's and upgrade certificates that are devalued by surplus and (some) will likely go unused.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:03 am

Have been happy with purchasing P fares to avoid CPU competition and this change makes me feel happier with doing so.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by stellarlight
Have been happy with purchasing P fares to avoid CPU competition and this change makes me feel happier with doing so.
makes me consider BOS-YYZ-IST-ZRH routings again Agreed, it just adds another little bit of incentive to buy P or higher.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by jjmoore
The one I purchased is refundable (for that price) in F class.

I agree that some conversations have drifted off topic... but am interested to hear additional perspectives about why the pricing system (with the new changes to PQM earnings) is quite skewed.... My example last week is one of many many many examples of how spend and PQM earnings are still very detached, and likely even more-so than they once were.

Two things I am afraid of seeing with these changes:

1) People like me will be earning far more PQM's on the same level of spend, which means more instruments for upgrades will be in play.

2) Many more people will be earning higher status - my better half is a great example of someone that will likely make 1K vs. G or PT since she has more than enough spend to hit the top status..... more competition for upgrade space as a result.

I feel like I am going to have a bounty of worthless PQM's and upgrade certificates that are devalued by surplus and (some) will likely go unused.
+1. Will end the year with 16 instruments and frustration about the size of G1. '16-'17 are going to be considerably worse in this regard without meaningful PQD requirement changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.