Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earn more PQMs for premium cabin travel starting in 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Starting January 1, 2016, you’ll earn more Premier qualifying miles (PQMs) for full-fare and discounted First or Business – up to double the current rate. The higher PQM rates go into effect for flights starting January 1, 2016 regardless of booking date.

New 2016 PQM Earning for United and United Express:

Full-fare First or Business (F, J): 300% (Currently 150%)
Discounted First or Business (A, C, D, Z, P): 200% (Currently 150%)
Full-fare Economy (Y, B): 150% (No Change)
Discounted Economy (M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, N): 100% (No Change)

Please check back shortly for full details regarding this change at mileageplusupdates.com. In addition to United and United Express operated flights, PQM earnings for select Star Alliance partners are also increasing.

Thank you,

-UA Insider
This change does not impact PQS.

UA Insider
Hi everyone. For clarification, there are no changes to the PQD credit card waiver.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Earn more PQMs for premium cabin travel starting in 2016

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2015, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by 1P
Thanks for nothing, United. Although travel is from January 1, ticketing is from Dec 15. How many of us do you think had already bought and ticketed travel for January thru March by then? Grrrr! Make it valid for all ticketed travel from Jan 1 and gain an admirer!!!
Where did you see that? From:

When will these changes be effective?

Changes to PQM for eligible First and Business tickets will be effective for flights departing on or after January 1, 2016, regardless of when the ticket was issued.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 3:53 am

Programs: United, Turkish
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
I am required to buy refundable, usually last minute (I am FULLY aware you can cancel in 24 hours, but it isn't always that simple) and if the beancounters don't see a GIANT refundable on the ticket, I get my ... chewed PERIOD
Fascinating
When I was a state employee we were required to do the exact opposite. We bought the lowest fare and the University put 15% into an imprest fund for paying for changes and cancellations. Our auditors had determined that it was much cheaper than buying refundable tickets. In fairness we did little spur of the moment travel.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 4:47 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by morelegroom
Fascinating
When I was a state employee we were required to do the exact opposite. We bought the lowest fare and the University put 15% into an imprest fund for paying for changes and cancellations. Our auditors had determined that it was much cheaper than buying refundable tickets. In fairness we did little spur of the moment travel.
The difference is my costs are passed on to a client. If I bought something and had to cancel and that money was lost my boss has to pay from company funds and that money isn't refunded by anyone.

If I by refundable, they add 15% and charge the client

win/win for my company and zero risk
Old Dec 24, 2015, 5:19 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
I think the single biggest change this will have, on reflection, is that there will be a GPU proliferation that further exacerbates the difficulty of using those instruments.
I'm not sure that's a big problem. This change will benefit folks that already buy tickets in premium classes. It's an incentive to keep buying premium class tickets instead of upgrading.

I buy intl and domestic business most of the time and I don't use my GPUs and RPUs. Why? Cause I'd rather be confirmed in C/F than worry about upgrades. If I need a last minute change, that's easily accommodated. Just need to check which planes have seats, not upgrade space.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 5:26 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Just perusing through price tables for different destinations... the cost per PQM seems to be very inconsistent at best... for instance:

1) GRR-SFO (stop in ORD) with both segments in F class (ref)
--$677 PQD
--7,038 PQM
--$0.0962 PQD/PQM

2) GRR-SFO (stop in ORD) with both segments in M class (non-ref)
--$961 PQD
--2,346 PQM
--$0.4096 PQD/PQM

There are many other examples I could post, but this paints the picture. Status earning is not balanced with fare structure... Cheaper ticket in F earns MUCH faster than more expensive ticket in M.
Thanks for providing this example, which supports my strategy of using cheap paid F tickets in 2016.

As previously stated, my employer's Concur/AMEX booking engine only allows me to book the lowest available coach fare (which in some case could be M or B, but most often T or V) and that ticket is paid for directly by my employer. Once that ticket has been issued, I will immediately call the 1K desk and if I get a knowledgeable agent, I will then pay the difference for the lowest paid F fare (which I should already know from researching in advance on United.com).

It's a bit more work and a few more $$ out of my pocket, but I get:
1. A guaranteed F seat
2. 200% PQM, which is really the more important part for me ^
Old Dec 24, 2015, 7:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by sapguy
Thanks for providing this example, which supports my strategy of using cheap paid F tickets in 2016.

As previously stated, my employer's Concur/AMEX booking engine only allows me to book the lowest available coach fare (which in some case could be M or B, but most often T or V) and that ticket is paid for directly by my employer. Once that ticket has been issued, I will immediately call the 1K desk and if I get a knowledgeable agent, I will then pay the difference for the lowest paid F fare (which I should already know from researching in advance on United.com).

It's a bit more work and a few more $$ out of my pocket, but I get:
1. A guaranteed F seat
2. 200% PQM, which is really the more important part for me ^
Our company is moving to Concur next year. Looks like I might have to follow your process. I am seeing some cheap F fares for early next year. BOS-PIT with connections each way in F for $430. Low enough that I'll eat the cost.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
Our company is moving to Concur next year. Looks like I might have to follow your process. I am seeing some cheap F fares for early next year. BOS-PIT with connections each way in F for $430. Low enough that I'll eat the cost.
Yep, I think that it makes a lot of sense, with the 200% PQM scheme.

The key to success is to get a knowledgeable 1K rep when you call in since that rep will need to know how to waive the $200 change fees during the rebooking to paid F or C. Otherwise, the rebooking fee negates all the positives.

This means that you will need to call the 1K within hours of the Y ticket being issued in order for them to waive the change fees as a 'courtesy' to a 1K.

Last edited by sapguy; Dec 24, 2015 at 8:33 am
Old Dec 24, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
The difference is my costs are passed on to a client. If I bought something and had to cancel and that money was lost my boss has to pay from company funds and that money isn't refunded by anyone.

If I by refundable, they add 15% and charge the client

win/win for my company and zero risk
Wouldn't the analogy in your situation be that you buy the cheapest fare, and charge your clients cheapest+15% for the cancellation contingency fund? That way the money doesn't have to come from generic company funds, it comes out of the specific pot of money you have assigned for this purpose.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Just perusing through price tables for different destinations... the cost per PQM seems to be very inconsistent at best... for instance:

1) GRR-SFO (stop in ORD) with both segments in F class (ref)
--$677 PQD
--7,038 PQM
--$0.0962 PQD/PQM

2) GRR-SFO (stop in ORD) with both segments in M class (non-ref)
--$961 PQD
--2,346 PQM
--$0.4096 PQD/PQM

There are many other examples I could post, but this paints the picture. Status earning is not balanced with fare structure... Cheaper ticket in F earns MUCH faster than more expensive ticket in M.
I see low fares for the F cabin but not fully refundable F fares.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by Michael D
I see low fares for the F cabin but not fully refundable F fares.
Did you expect otherwise?

It's gratifying to see the airlines finally realize there's a significant cohort whose travel plans are generally fixed, but who enjoy riding up front.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone

It's gratifying to see the airlines finally realize there's a significant cohort whose travel plans are generally fixed, but who enjoy riding up front.
+1

And with the F domestic product steadily increasing in quality, 'reasonably priced' F tickets make more and more sense.

The newly refurbished F seats on the A320/319 are such a pleasure, compared to the pathetic old ones. The meals are getting marginally better too. They now serve the Goose Island Goose IPA as an alternative to the old standby Heineken and if they ever step up to Lagunitas, then we'll all be smiling

Now, if they can also improve the wines...
Old Dec 24, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
How much is it to cancel a ticket? My line of work not only changes minute to minute, but I might be going to Spain, and at the last minute change to Kansas, sometimes, on my way to the airport, i just turn around and go back home. I just don't have any clue where I will be going day to day. I have been re routed at a stopover, my luggage was lost and the client paid for me to go to Cabelas and buy all new clothes. Our jobs are driven by a combination of government regulators and people who have nothing to do with the job. Scheduling is a nightmare most of the time.

Also, if the job gets cancelled, and I lose the money, my boss eats it, if it is refundable no one eats it.

I also NEVER EVER book round trip, which used to cost a ton more, but now it is almost negligible.
I made more than 20 flight changes last year. Obviously I try to reduce last minute changes but not because of cost - with United you get stuck in a crappy seat in the back of the plane.

When I cancel a non-refundable ticket I don't lose anything - it just costs me $200 or $300 to change it. Basic math would say that if a non-refundable one-way is $300 and a refundable is $500, you could change every single ticket one time and break even.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bldr1k
I made more than 20 flight changes last year. Obviously I try to reduce last minute changes but not because of cost - with United you get stuck in a crappy seat in the back of the plane.

When I cancel a non-refundable ticket I don't lose anything - it just costs me $200 or $300 to change it. Basic math would say that if a non-refundable one-way is $300 and a refundable is $500, you could change every single ticket one time and break even.

Then who do you bill that to?

So, if I buy a ticket and cancel it, then buy another ticket to a different client, who pays the change fee? First client who doesn't get billed or second client who is overpaying for a ticket now? Or, My Boss?

I am not trying to be funny here, I just don't get it, most of the time, there is very little difference between refundable and non refundable. Going from M to Y/B is generally very little money. Sometimes, I book so late that there is no difference between refundable and non refundable. (I think that was mainly Delta though, haven't played enough with United to know for sure)

Also, if I buy a ticket and cancel it, do I have to do anything special to use the leftover money or what? What happens if I cancel, rebuy, cancel and rebuy 2-3 times between a ticket I actually fly? Do I pay a change fee each time or just the last time when I fly?

Also, what happens when you book 3 tickets for like one each day, just in case you are called and cancel the ones you don't use?
Old Dec 24, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone

No. I have never seen a fully refundable F class fare at 9.5 cpm. So if the example were fully refundable it is a rare example in my experience.

If I did find one I would snap it up if there was the slightest chance I might need it.

I like extra PQMs for discounted Business and First. It is not a game changer but yes it is a nod in appreciation at those who purchase such fares.

I would like to see some of those low F fares on my routes.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Then who do you bill that to?

So, if I buy a ticket and cancel it, then buy another ticket to a different client, who pays the change fee? First client who doesn't get billed or second client who is overpaying for a ticket now? Or, My Boss?

I am not trying to be funny here, I just don't get it, most of the time, there is very little difference between refundable and non refundable. Going from M to Y/B is generally very little money. Sometimes, I book so late that there is no difference between refundable and non refundable. (I think that was mainly Delta though, haven't played enough with United to know for sure)

Also, if I buy a ticket and cancel it, do I have to do anything special to use the leftover money or what? What happens if I cancel, rebuy, cancel and rebuy 2-3 times between a ticket I actually fly? Do I pay a change fee each time or just the last time when I fly?

Also, what happens when you book 3 tickets for like one each day, just in case you are called and cancel the ones you don't use?
That's where the whole charge ticket + 15% to build up a fund to pay for the change fee. Cheaper for the client and if there are fewer cancellations than expected, a tiny bit of additional profit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.