Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
"GG BUYUP" references to a policy (not publicly published) that UA will waive change fees, if on your presently booked flight you wish to buy-up / upfare to the next cabin. That is, pay the fare difference from your present economy fare to business / first.

If the agent is unfamiliar with the policy, ask them to reference "GG BUYUP" or ask a supervisor.

Note this is only on UA tickets and only applies to the same flight, flight changes are not permitted by policy (a rare agent might but generally no).

This does not waive change fees for buying-up to a "W" fare to apply a GPU but some agents may still waive the change fee and some may not.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2011, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat

ok, so this might sound almost impossible but I'm trying to get my mother in law to like me. My first task is to try to upgrade her on her trip from London next week.

Is there any GG BUYUP like in continental, to be able to use a SWU or another instrument?

She has an L fare, so upgrading her to W would cost about $200, unfortunately United wants to charge me $250 change fee.

Any other way to upgrade her besides paying the 20K miles plus $500 copay?

GG BUYUP (for continental) - Did you buy a low fare class ticket? Want to buy up to a higher fare class to ensure an upgrade (e.g. Y/B/M or even a true F fare)? Call in to the reservations line and feed them this little ditty and you'll be on your way without having to pay the change fee on your ticket; you'll only pay the fare difference. Sitting in first class has never been easier.
Old May 19, 2011, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by 1KHI
GG BUYUP (for continental) - Did you buy a low fare class ticket? Want to buy up to a higher fare class to ensure an upgrade (e.g. Y/B/M or even a true F fare)? Call in to the reservations line and feed them this little ditty and you'll be on your way without having to pay the change fee on your ticket; you'll only pay the fare difference. Sitting in first class has never been easier.
Its possible, but what you will be spending in the fare difference will *probably* be far more then what the co-pay on a upgrade with miles would cost.

Now, as far as on the day of departure it could be significantly cheaper (provided you are even offered a buyup).
Old May 19, 2011, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Now, as far as on the day of departure it could be significantly cheaper (provided you are even offered a buyup).
Not cheaper than paying $500 for the upgrade copay. No upgrade for cash offer to/from LHR is going to be under that amount.

Too bad she bought an L fare. United used to allow you to upfare without paying the change fee but that went away years ago.
Old May 19, 2011, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Its possible, but what you will be spending in the fare difference will *probably* be far more then what the co-pay on a upgrade with miles would cost.
The fare difference from L to W is $198 (each way). Using the SWU instrument would make it. I just want UA to waive the change fee like CO does when keeping the same flight but only upgrading the fare.
Old May 19, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
The fare difference from L to W is $198 (each way). Using the SWU instrument would make it. I just want UA to waive the change fee like CO does when keeping the same flight but only upgrading the fare.
They won't.
Old May 19, 2011, 3:51 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
They won't.
I had an agent (actually a supervisor) do it for me a month ago. I didnt even ask. She just said she would waive it since I was upgrading the fare. Reminded of the "good ole days". I did not ask for a supervisor but she was answering the phones due to short staff or something like that.
Old May 19, 2011, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by mcgahat
I had an agent (actually a supervisor) do it for me a month ago. I didnt even ask. She just said she would waive it since I was upgrading the fare. Reminded of the "good ole days". I did not ask for a supervisor but she was answering the phones due to short staff or something like that.
That would be the good old days! The fare rules are specific though and anything like that is breaking the rules.
Old May 19, 2011, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

I agree, but it's a foolish move from UA. I don't see why it wouldn't take more cash for exactly the same flight and let one more passenger play upgrade roulette. It's not like they would sell the FC seat (otherwise they just wouldn't open NC or NF).

That would be the good old days! The fare rules are specific though and anything like that is breaking the rules.
Originally Posted by mcgahat
Awesome thanks for the hint. I will try one more time Tonight, hopefully this time will work.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 19, 2011 at 4:30 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old May 19, 2011, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AS GM, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Since so much else PMCO is becoming UA, I hope this does, too. It's nonsensical to me that a company would turn down extra revenue at a marginal cost of next to nothing.

Customer: Can I please give you $198 to change a letter?
UA: Sure! The total with the $250 change fee comes to $448.
Old May 19, 2011, 8:43 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Many reports of UA offering double-upgrade buy-ups from Y->F of late for ridiculously low prices (for international, 3-class F, that is; we're talking ~$1k one-way). You can always check the "travel options" on her itinerary and see if they're offering a buy-up to F! Much better than paying a change fee + upfare to W and playing the SWU lottery (with UA holding back NC space more and more often now).
Old May 19, 2011, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Not cheaper than paying $500 for the upgrade copay. No upgrade for cash offer to/from LHR is going to be under that amount.
I guess I didn't specify...

I meant in comparison to a premium fare (F/A/Z etc) which a week out wouldn't most discounted fare classes be gone?

BTW If upgrading.... didn't the old "riding the coattails" of the sponsor go away (basically, she would clear as a GM and not at the OP's status)?
Old May 20, 2011, 1:15 am
Original Poster

BTW If upgrading.... didn't the old "riding the coattails" of the sponsor go away (basically, she would clear as a GM and not at the OP's status)?
That might change things... Is this something specific to UA? I kind of remember CO prioritized with the sponsor. If that's the case, then the upgrade chances are essentially zero since LHR-ORD on memorial day Monday will probably not be an easy upgrade.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 7:55 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Will an upfare with no change fee be allowed on UA after 3/3 (post-SHARES), or is the "change fee for upfares" rule a separate UA policy that's not dependent on the reservation system?
Old Feb 6, 2012, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Will an upfare with no change fee be allowed on UA after 3/3 (post-SHARES), or is the "change fee for upfares" rule a separate UA policy that's not dependent on the reservation system?
Good question. It was very disappointing last time since UA wanted to charge the change fee to stay on the same flight with a W fare.

Another thing that happens often to me. I must buy cheapest available ticket for business trips, which tent to be non upgradable fare. I'll be happy to pay the difference for upgradable fare.

Hopefully policy will move toward CO.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 2:02 am
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Good question. It was very disappointing last time since UA wanted to charge the change fee to stay on the same flight with a W fare.

Another thing that happens often to me. I must buy cheapest available ticket for business trips, which tent to be non upgradable fare. I'll be happy to pay the difference for upgradable fare.

Hopefully policy will move toward CO.
So, did you get an upgrade for your mother-in-law?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.