Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by Garten
What are you talking about?
http://upgrd.com/matthew/thrown-off-...king-pictures/
Old Apr 10, 2015, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA 1k; 1MM, HH Diamond; Hertz PC, Costco member
Treated like GS

Got caught with a 6 hour delayed flight that then canceled. Had really good service from the person on the Premier desk to rebook me the next day (today).

More canceled and delayed flights today (trying to get from ALB - GEG) where it looked like I was going to be delayed another day. The second agent worked her tail off to get me reasonable seats tomorrow and to have my plane met by the GS staff in IAD to drive me to the plane - less than 10 minutes to go from a1 to D21. WOW, talk about feeling like a big shot and so thankful not to delayed for a second night. When I got on board they treated very well ( I assumed they thought I was a GS and not a lowly 1k) and took my food and drink order before we took off. Really happy with the service.

As I write this I'm in Denver where they just announced our pilot are on a delayed flight that won't be here until 2am. At least I'm closer to home!
Old Apr 11, 2015, 4:11 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
A positive outcome for a change

I was due to fly from PDX-ODR-EWR-TLV on Thursday and with all the disruptions in ORD, I was 100% guaranteed to mis-connect in ORD.

I called the premier line and in about 20 minutes had new tickets from ORD to MUC to TLV on LH! Great service from UA and it shows that they when service agents are empowered, a positive outcome is possible. I for one was impressed and thankful that I only arrived in TLV 12 hours late, having left PDX 4 hours late!
Old Apr 11, 2015, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
It's amazing how low our standards have fallen that when United does what it's obligated to, in a reasonable amount of time, it's considered great service.

Ideally, they should never have sent you into that ORD mess, rerouted you around it, and mitigated that 12-hour impact.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 8:15 am

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
It's good to have posts like this along with those where things are worse. Helps us to get a balance of how UA is performing. However, I also understand that there is room for improvement beyond what UA did for the OP.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

While some people complain about the complaints here on FT, I think some of the complaints are working. I've had the occasion to call the 1K desk three times over the last two months, and every time the CSR is answering as "1K Desk" and - more importantly - I'm getting rapid, knowledgeable and effective assistance from the person on the phone. Just like I got every time I called the 1K Desk before the merger.

I don't know if he deserves it, but I've noticed an improvement ever since Jimmy Samartzis took over as SVP for Customer Experience, so I'm giving him credit. Whatever happened behind the scenes, I appreciate it.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by channa
It's amazing how low our standards have fallen that when United does what it's obligated to, in a reasonable amount of time, it's considered great service.
In his case didn't they do far more than they were obligated to do?

They could have let him miss his connection and get him there a couple of days later on an available UA flight and they would be fully compliant with the law and contract.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS
Just flew home from ICN to SFO in Global First. Food was great and service was excellent. I did notice that they were taking first and second meal requests for non status passengers. They only asked us (3 1Ks) for a single choice and we all received our choices. As the entrees in business and first are the same, you would think UA should give everyone in First their choice and then distribute the rest to Business.

Overall, I've noticed in service in recent Business First International flights over the past 6 months as compared to the year before.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sfonorth
Just flew home from ICN to SFO ...
Overall, I've noticed in service in recent Business First International flights over the past 6 months as compared to the year before.
Say what?
Old Apr 11, 2015, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
In his case didn't they do far more than they were obligated to do?

They could have let him miss his connection and get him there a couple of days later on an available UA flight and they would be fully compliant with the law and contract.
I think the key part there is "in a reasonable amount of time" -- making the customer wait days for an avoidable problem (reroute from origin) wouldn't be that.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mduell
I think the key part there is "in a reasonable amount of time" -- making the customer wait days for an avoidable problem (reroute from origin) wouldn't be that.
Delaying the customer for days is not good customer service and would be a dumb policy, but it fulfills their obligations, right?

The idea of this thread was stated as noting situations where UA provides good service above and beyond their minimum obligations. But it seems like sometimes even when they do it is dismissed.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: United MileagePlus: 1K
Originally Posted by USHPNWDLUA
I've flown the 788 and 789 multiple times this year, PVG-LAX. On these flights, the crews have been excellent. Truly the best. Purser has come to every seat in BF and made a personal introduction, thanking everyone by name for flying with United. Purser has come to every seat at the end of he flight and, personally and by name, thanked each person for flying!
The purser on my 788 flight from IAH-FRA did that as well, but I think it was for GS and 1K as the purser didn't greet the person sitting next to me by name or thank him.

There was no acknowledgement by the FAs on the 2 previous flights for the 1K
Old Apr 12, 2015, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Delaying the customer for days is not good customer service and would be a dumb policy, but it fulfills their obligations, right?

The idea of this thread was stated as noting situations where UA provides good service above and beyond their minimum obligations. But it seems like sometimes even when they do it is dismissed.

The Star Alliance has rules for rebooking that include using other Star Alliance or other carriers.

Flying a customer out in a couple of days on the next UA flight when there are other carriers available is likely not in the customer's best interest, and would not fulfill UA's obligations as a Star Alliance member carrier.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by channa
The Star Alliance has rules for rebooking that include using other Star Alliance or other carriers.

Flying a customer out in a couple of days on the next UA flight when there are other carriers available is likely not in the customer's best interest, and would not fulfill UA's obligations as a Star Alliance member carrier.
Cool. That's something I could learn about. Can you point me to a link where these obligations are spelled out?
Old Apr 12, 2015, 1:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Cool. That's something I could learn about. Can you point me to a link where these obligations are spelled out?
Star Alliance Reference Guide

IRREGULAR OPERATIONS HANDLING
REBOOKING

The policies apply in all irregularity situations. When a customer’s travel plan is disrupted due to a flight irregularity
and rebooking is required, the following procedures apply to all Star Alliance member carriers. Alternate
transportation may apply when no flights are available on the same day or protection is not acceptable to the
customer. The policies apply to all customers with confirmed reservations and those who have been accepted
on the flight. Rebooking shall be done wherever an irregularity takes place, everything else is an exceptional
case. If no common reservations system exists, make same-day rebooking on another airline by phone in
order to avoid the risk that bookings may be rejected later.

ONWARD CARRIAGE
Provide onward carriage with the least possible delay to the destination shown on the ticket(s).
NOTE: NZ – onward tickets must be on the same ticket or issued in conjunction.

SAME RATED ROUTING*
Rebook on the same rated routing whenever possible.
*Special conditions apply for EU registered carriers and non-EU registered carriers operating from the EU.

CARRIER ORDER
Rebook in the following carrier order, depending on frequency of flights and the customer’s best interest:
• Own airline
• Star Alliance member airline
• Non-Star Alliance member airline (OAL)

PASSPORT OR VISA

Identify any passport or visa constraints that would affect rebooking customers via alternate routing.

SAME BOOKING CLASS
Rebook in the same booking class whenever possible.

HIGHER CABIN CLASS
If booking in a higher cabin class is required, preference must be given to Star Alliance Gold and full-fare customers.
Rebooking in a higher cabin class on another Star Alliance carrier or another airline is only permitted
with prior approval of the new receiving carrier. Additional cost may apply.

STANDBY
Previously inconvenienced customers that receive standby status should receive special priority.

ALTERNATIVE TRANSPORTATION
Alternative transportation,
Note there is no enforcement mechanism, so bottom line it is still generally up to the individual airlines policies.

The Reference Guide also has a nice list of telephone / contacts for each airline. Also lounge locations and access rules for each airport.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 12, 2015 at 1:17 pm Reason: formating

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.