Old Jan 18, 2015, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

United - Positive Experiences 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
My future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!

Hope all is well with you, my friend.
Is that a Timbuk 3 reference I see?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 11:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mduell
Voluntary separation from checked luggage?? :\
Not impossible for domestic flights -- many agents will baulk but there is no requirement.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 2:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by mduell
Voluntary separation from checked luggage?? :\
Naw, it actually made the flight with me in the end. It was such a long delay, the agent thought it probably would.

Glad I switched, the original LAX-OGG flight got delayed 2-1/2 hours, too.

Originally Posted by CMK10
Is that a Timbuk 3 reference I see?

Fifty thou a year
Will buy a lotta beer...

Old Jun 2, 2015, 4:11 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Got off SIN-NRT transferring to NRT-SFO to find my SFO-JFK was cxl'd WX and I was rebooked in Y SFO-LAX-JFK. I had GPU's the whole thing months ago. Got to the UC first thing and within 5 min was able to get me a J seat on NRT-EWR. So will file for ORC and now I get home Tues at 5pm instead of originally Wed at 1:25am and then what was going to be Wed at 6:30am.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Positive experience on United

On Sunday I was booked onto a United Express flight from BUR to SFO with an onward connection to PDX. Total scheduled travel time was around 4 hours. 3 hours before the first leg United called me and said that due to an equipment swap the flight was overbooked and offered to book me onto an Alaska flight leaving BUR at the same time with nonstop service to PDX, getting me to my final destination 2 hours sooner. I accepted. The agent called back 5 minutes later with the Alaska booking reference and it was done.

Obviously, if I had declined and ended up in an IDB scenario I would have been owed some compensation, but I much preferred to arrive in my destination sooner and without the gate chaos of an overbooking situation (50-seat CRJ vs 70-seat).

I've never had an airline proactively offer to rebook me on another airline (usually this is something done only after a great deal of haggling). Kudos United!
Old Jun 2, 2015, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eigenvector
On Sunday I was booked onto a United Express flight from BUR to SFO with an onward connection to PDX. Total scheduled travel time was around 4 hours. 3 hours before the first leg United called me and said that due to an equipment swap the flight was overbooked and offered to book me onto an Alaska flight leaving BUR at the same time with nonstop service to PDX, getting me to my final destination 2 hours sooner. I accepted. The agent called back 5 minutes flight with the Alaska booking reference and it was done.

Obviously, if I had declined and ended up in an IDB scenario I would have been owed some compensation, but I much preferred to arrive in my destination sooner and without the gate chaos of an overbooking situation (50-seat CRJ vs 70-seat).

I've never had an airline proactively offer to rebook me on another airline (usually this is something done only after a great deal of haggling). Kudos United!
Cool, and if you were crediting miles to UA don't forget to ask for original routing credit. Just call MileagePlus.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Baze
Cool, and if you were crediting miles to UA don't forget to ask for original routing credit. Just call MileagePlus.
Didn't even know I could do that. Thanks!
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by eigenvector
On Sunday I was booked onto a United Express flight from BUR to SFO with an onward connection to PDX. Total scheduled travel time was around 4 hours. 3 hours before the first leg United called me and said that due to an equipment swap the flight was overbooked and offered to book me onto an Alaska flight leaving BUR at the same time with nonstop service to PDX, getting me to my final destination 2 hours sooner. I accepted. The agent called back 5 minutes later with the Alaska booking reference and it was done.

Do you remember the agents name? If so I would suggest contacting UA to specifically commend her.

Not only is this action worth of a commendation (we can be fairly certain this proactive work was being done of her own accord rather than by any sort of policy), but in the end it was a positive experience for you and saved the company money. Every data point they get like this might help them adjust policy (and more importantly staff their CS sufficiently to do this regularly).
Old Jun 4, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
I had a really friendly, exceptional FA in Y on an SFO-BOS flight the other day. I was a little grumpy when boarding – my flight to SFO was delayed so I really had to hustle to the gate, especially since my RPU didn’t clear and I wanted to quickly grab something healthy-ish to eat on the plane. Was also one of the last to board the plane and was in a bulkhead seat, with no room in the bins for my laptop bag nearby (it had to go in F). So, I wasn’t necessarily projecting sunshine and happiness (although, I wasn’t a jerk to anyone either).

Anyways, FA introduced herself to me, shook my hand, called me by name and thanked me for being 1K. Super friendly throughout the whole flight, chatting here and there (but not too much). Offered me a bottle of water mid-flight (which I didn’t need, but still a nice gesture) and then later a little box of two Varda chocolate truffles (which I happily accepted)! Really surprising to me how much of a difference she made to my overall experience. And, as so many people have said on these boards, comes at no or very limited cost to United. I feel like it was extra noticeable to me since I did BOS-SFO in F a week or two ago and the main FA just had such an extreme IDGAF attitude. Planning on sending in a positive note about her today (without mentioning the water/truffles – wouldn’t want to get her in trouble).
Old Jun 4, 2015, 4:15 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
It's human nature that even the littlest things that indicate that another human being cares about us can have a huge effect on our mood.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by physioprof
It's human nature that even the littlest things that indicate that another human being cares about us can have a huge effect on our mood.
Couldn't agree more - yesterday was a challenging day but was on a 3-class 777 out of SFO (ORD crew) and the crew gave me this out of the blue. Really was a nice gesture.

PS - was my fourth International 777 plane in a row with wifi not working....
Old Jun 13, 2015, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA got me to SFO early, with my luggage and had good attitude

PHX-SFO on 6/10/15

Went to UC in PHX, Front desk said hello and thanked me for being a member.

Boarding was uneventful and on time. GA thanked me by name when I scanned my boarding pass.

Plane left on time.

Was in 7C on CRJ700. FA asked politely if I wanted anything to drink. When I politely declined they said thank you with a smile and moved on to next passenger.

Got to SFO a few minutes early and jet bridge docked within 5 minutes..

My luggage made it fine and took only 20 minutes from time we got to gate till I got my bag at baggage claim.

Another typical day in MY experiences with UA and I fly about every week.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh yeah, and I earned more RDM's under the new plan on this flight than I would have under the old rules. Was a U fare.

And my flight from SFO-PHX on mainline 320 2 days earlier was the same, got upgrade on that one too.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 13, 2015 at 7:27 pm Reason: cleanup after merge
Old Jun 13, 2015, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
You flew midweek on a U fare and had to ride in steerage?
Old Jun 13, 2015, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
You flew midweek on a U fare and had to ride in steerage?
Only 1 person in F was an upgrader. 5 out of 6 were paid F and the upgrader was the lone GS on the flight. I struck up a conversation with the person in the UC. There were 2 1K's in front of me on the upgrade list. I had the bulkhead so not a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.