FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

United - Positive Experiences 2015

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
As this "something positive" comes in the context of a flight cancellation, a lost upgrade, a rebooked trip that got the traveler to her destination many hours later than planned, then a further multi-hour delay on the replacement flight causing a misconnect, then an agent who resisted an OAL rebook solution until the OP pointed out the existence of alternate space... I don't think I'd be saying "Thanks, United!"

If this counts as a relative customer service victory, UA customers are pretty starved for good news.
I agree. As I said earlier, it's kinda sad that this made me happy and in my book qualifies as a positive UA experience. The bar is pretty low, and thanks for pointing out that perks for anyone else than myself when I buy someone else award tickets, expires mid april. YET another devaluation.... What a horrible idea.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:02 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Positive is good. Reality sometimes isn't.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond. Priority Club Platinum. Emerald Club Executive Elite
As a relative newcomer to UA MileagePlus, coming from AC Altitude SE, the agents I've dealt with to date appear to have far more leverage in fixing issues. And the UA app actually works (most of the time).
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nowinyow
And the UA app actually works (most of the time).
The UA App is really excellent. So much better than Southwest's.

My UA experiences have mostly been quite good lately. Had an awesome HNL phone agent this week who helped me deal with a schedule change on an award flight. She couldn't have been nicer and everything got fixed perfectly.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by davidviolin
I agree. As I said earlier, it's kinda sad that this made me happy and in my book qualifies as a positive UA experience. The bar is pretty low....
It is interesting to note that a "non-negative experience" on UA has become a positive experience these days, perhaps based on our experience and expectations. If your flights were not delayed or cancelled, and if your checked bag did not get lost or damaged, then that becomes a positive experience. For me, UA positive experiences come from individual employees: exceptional inflight service or a res agent who is both knowledgeable and eager to help.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by eajusa
Positive is good. Reality sometimes isn't.
No but the few times a year I am on UA metal have had good experiences and thats coming from AS
Old Mar 21, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Crews from PVG

I've flown the 788 and 789 multiple times this year, PVG-LAX. On these flights, the crews have been excellent. Truly the best. Purser has come to every seat in BF and made a personal introduction, thanking everyone by name for flying with United. Purser has come to every seat at the end of he flight and, personally and by name, thanked each person for flying. Food service had been prompt and excellent. Just a very very different atmosphere than had been on UA even 18 months ago.

One of these flights was the maiden voyage of the 789 from PVG back to LAX, and in this case, one of the flight crew came to each passenger and introduced himself, provided a commorative card with facts about the plane, described the plane, and shared what a great happenstance it was that we were able to fly it. Original equipment was a 788, but they swapped a 789 last-minute. This swap also allowed the upgrading of several passengers from Y who were absolutely thrilled to be in J. Some were even asking for instructions because they had never had that kind of seat before. UA made a lot of people happy on that flight!
Old Mar 21, 2015, 5:20 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by USHPNWDLUA
I've flown the 788 and 789 multiple times this year, PVG-LAX. On these flights, the crews have been excellent. Truly the best. Purser has come to every seat in BF and made a personal introduction, thanking everyone by name for flying with United. Purser has come to every seat at the end of he flight and, personally and by name, thanked each person for flying. Food service had been prompt and excellent. Just a very very different atmosphere than had been on UA even 18 months ago.

One of these flights was the maiden voyage of the 789 from PVG back to LAX, and in this case, one of the flight crew came to each passenger and introduced himself, provided a commorative card with facts about the plane, described the plane, and shared what a great happenstance it was that we were able to fly it. Original equipment was a 788, but they swapped a 789 last-minute. This swap also allowed the upgrading of several passengers from Y who were absolutely thrilled to be in J. Some were even asking for instructions because they had never had that kind of seat before. UA made a lot of people happy on that flight!
Am jealous how was it? I have done EF FC LAX to Dubai and the shower was really nice but 789 is what I am looking for now.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by artvandalay
It is interesting to note that a "non-negative experience" on UA has become a positive experience these days, perhaps based on our experience and expectations. If your flights were not delayed or cancelled, and if your checked bag did not get lost or damaged, then that becomes a positive experience.
interesting to note=sad. Initially I got really happy thinking i cant wait to post here my good experience, finally something positive, but then when I started thinking about it and reading some reactions here, it was like the ALS ice bucked challenge I took.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 12:13 am

Programs: Thai Gold, UA, AA, SWA
Originally Posted by John17 3
Long time lurker to newbie poster!

Having read many postings, both grumblings and kudos on goings-on at UA, I wanted to share an excellent experience on UA on a recent trip that I feel would be a good start to 2015..................................

...................I felt compelled to thank him in person, and on the way back from the lavatory, stopped to thank him. He was sitting in the FA jumper seat opposite the galley and even though in the middle of reading, took the time to talk to me. He also remembered that I enjoyed the proseco and asked if I would like another glass, and he would bring it to my seat. This was among the many small gestures that IMO, made this flight so memorable.

Thank you to the Scott Pelley lookalike FA and UA for a very positive flight experience and ground experience.
It's just like the experience we have on Asian based carriers every day. Hate to be pessimistic, but when does doing their job in the first place single them out for a special mention?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Had a great experience yesterday (3/22) flying ORD-SLC in F on an A320. PDBs (including mimosas) served while Y pax still boarding, coats hung, even took lunch orders during boarding. All pax addressed by name. Once in flight, wine glass never went empty, hot towels, lunch service, baked cookies... he gave some little kid his wings... He sat down for maybe 5 minutes on the 3+ hour flight. All around 5 star service.

Best service I've seen in UA/CO domestic F in years. Thank you John! ^^^

ETA: The first CLE > ORD segment was running late and the mobile app notified me that they had automatically booked me a backup flight on a later ORD > SLC. I was pleasantly surprised by that.

Last edited by paule123; Mar 23, 2015 at 4:46 pm
Old Mar 23, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Flying OMA-ORD-DCA

OMA-ORD leg 1 hr 20 minutes late, missed flight to ORD which was the last flight of the night.

Agent in OMA rebooked ORD DCA onto AA and credited the missed UA segment to MP account.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
I was rather impressed that after sending in a hotel receipt for reimbursement after my wife and kids misconnected in IAH, someone from United actually called my wife on the phone this morning to apologize for the misconnect, and to offer way more in travel vouchers than what we were asking for in reimbursement.

It does make me curious how they decide who gets the personalized response and who doesn't. Nobody has ever called me. Maybe they somehow know that my wife is more friendly than I am.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Thanks to UA Insider

I wanted to publicly say thanks to UA Insider for his help today.

I won't go into the details of what it is (because frankly, it's slightly embarrassing), but it was a *very* small thing (didn't involve any waivers of rules, etc.) that I couldn't get resolved through the normal customer service chain, despite best intentions and multiple efforts by everyone involved @ 1KVoice.

Customer Service really wanted to help me and everyone was apologetic that they couldn't figure out how to get it done, but just couldn't do it. I can't even complain about Customer Service - they were trying hard but had no way to make the system work the way everyone agreed it should.

A quick PM to UA Insider and an hour or so later I had an email from him with a resolution.

I'm sure that he's not always able to take care of things like this, but it's really appreciated when he can.

Thanks!
Greg
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jgreen1024
I was rather impressed that after sending in a hotel receipt for reimbursement after my wife and kids misconnected in IAH, someone from United actually called my wife on the phone this morning to apologize for the misconnect, and to offer way more in travel vouchers than what we were asking for in reimbursement.

It does make me curious how they decide who gets the personalized response and who doesn't. Nobody has ever called me. Maybe they somehow know that my wife is more friendly than I am.
Did you send in the receipts, or did your wife? It would be odd for them to call someone who didn't contact them with this request, I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.