Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Fees for a change or redeposit :

• There are fees for some changes and redeposit , so please check the chart below for details. These fees apply to MileagePlus® awards on United, United Express®, Star Alliance® airline partners and other airline partners.
  • When requesting a change for more than one ticket, the fee applies to each ticket separately. If two people are traveling together and make a change, for example, there will be a fee for both.
  • When flying with one of our Star Alliance partners, changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure. {but some have managed without less -- somewhat YMMV -- but the rules state 24 hours}
  • Fees are based on the status of the mileage account holder at time of request

UA's Award ticketing options/service fees

Previous thread -- General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions
Print Wikipost

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
Simple question (I think).

I have a work trip coming up and will be taking my SO along with me. She doesn't know exactly when she wants to return, so I have booked her a total of 3 separate return flights on different dates (all saver awards, mix of business and economy).

What is the latest time that we can decide not to take each flight, and still get a full mileage refund as a Plat? The UA.com site seems to have extremely liberal rules on this, but I want to be sure I am not missing something. Can I go online an hour before the first flight is scheduled to take off, cancel it, and get the miles refunded?
if you're platinum or 1K, you don't pay a fee, no matter when you cancel it. You can literally cancel it at the last minute for no fee.

With that being said, good luck cancelling it online without paying a fee. There seems to be a glitch where it's charging everyone to cancel a fee. So at the end, you'll get something saying that to redeposit your miles, please give us a credit card number, etc...

Simply call the 1K number or whatever number you use, and they'll do it for you in less than a minute and apologize for the glitch because they know something is wrong with the website. This is from personal experience (yesterday).

More info:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ticketing.aspx
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by StingWest
Are the cancellation rules the same as for a 1K?
absolutely
Old Apr 25, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Hi All - I purchased a refundable ticket on 4/18, applied miles to upgrade the outbound segment, and then had to cancel the trip. I called a second time about having the miles redeposited (first time the agent told me she had taken care of it, but hadn't) and was told there was a $100 redeposit fee. The only thing I can find on the website is the award travel redeposit fees. Is there any way to get the miles back without paying?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lilpisher
Hi All - I purchased a refundable ticket on 4/18, applied miles to upgrade the outbound segment, and then had to cancel the trip. I called a second time about having the miles redeposited (first time the agent told me she had taken care of it, but hadn't) and was told there was a $100 redeposit fee. The only thing I can find on the website is the award travel redeposit fees. Is there any way to get the miles back without paying?
Technically no. It's an upgrade award and is subject to the award redeposit fee. And yes, it's a raw deal.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:28 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Technically no. It's an upgrade award and is subject to the award redeposit fee. And yes, it's a raw deal.
That is what I assumed. I just had trouble believing that United was lumping that redeposit fee in with the Award Travel fees without mentioning that they also applied to upgrade awards, especially when the underlying revenue ticket is significantly more flexible.

Fortunately, enough social media complaining resulted in a one-time exception ^
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lilpisher
That is what I assumed. I just had trouble believing that United was lumping that redeposit fee in with the Award Travel fees without mentioning that they also applied to upgrade awards, especially when the underlying revenue ticket is significantly more flexible.

Fortunately, enough social media complaining resulted in a one-time exception ^
They bury this in the terms and conditions:
If you cancel your MileagePlus Upgrade Award, miles and co-pay may be refunded for the applicable redeposit fee.
Mileage Plus Upgrade - Terms & Conditions

You have to work pretty hard to find that.

Glad to hear you got it waived.
Old May 3, 2015, 4:34 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Cancelling an award ticket - what is my maximum exposure?

Not a regular UA flyer here so be nice!

Found some availability on a very hard to find route (N.America-Australia) in United Global First. I see that cancelling and re-crediting the miles costs $200 for me as a non-status flyer. I assume that is per ticket and not per reservation. Does that mean that if I secure the ticket now and change my mind later and cancel, my net cost is $400, and then I have a year to use the miles?

Thanks all for any insights.
Old May 3, 2015, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by dwbf11
Does that mean that if I secure the ticket now and change my mind later and cancel, my net cost is $400
Yes. Or you could change the award for less (either $75 or $100 per ticket, depending on when and what you change).

and then I have a year to use the miles?
No one year is the award ticket validity period. The miles would be redeposited in your account and be subject to UA's standard expiration policy.
Old May 3, 2015, 5:15 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes. Or you could change the award for less (either $75 or $100 per ticket, depending on when and what you change).

No one year is the award ticket validity period. The miles would be redeposited in your account and be subject to UA's standard expiration policy.
Awesome. Thanks for the prompt response!
Old May 6, 2015, 10:28 pm

A couple weeks ago, I booked BCN-MUC-YYZ-LAX biz class with United miles for next year. Since then, AA opened up BCN-MIA-LAX, which I prefer. Is there ANY WAY for a United non-elite to avoid the $200 cancelation fee? Is that fee $200 per person or per itinerary? We are a party of 2.
Old May 6, 2015, 11:03 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
A couple weeks ago, I booked BCN-MUC-YYZ-LAX biz class with United miles for next year. Since then, AA opened up BCN-MIA-LAX, which I prefer. Is there ANY WAY for a United non-elite to avoid the $200 cancelation fee? Is that fee $200 per person or per itinerary? We are a party of 2.
You could hope for a significant schedule change (not too likely) and cancel the tickets without a fee, or you could use the tickets for a different itin and pay a much-smaller fee ($75?). But I think that's about it. The only elites who get redeposit fees waived are Plat & above. One of the main reasons I've stayed Plat.
Old May 6, 2015, 11:11 pm

The $200 is per person or per itinerary?
Old May 6, 2015, 11:17 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
The $200 is per person or per itinerary?
Per person. Not sure if there are any particular fees that are attached per itinerary (covering multiple people). I believe everything is per person.
Old May 17, 2015, 9:18 am

Award travel after travel starts

Can I make a change to my award travel once travel has started? I'm looking to changing flights on a partner airline on the same day and same origin and destination.
Old May 17, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Short answer, yes you can. As for cost, it depends on your Mileage Plus status level. It can get fairly pricy if a general member and is completely free for Platinum and above. I've also had some weird things happen if it's not just a simple A-B-C itinerary, so sometimes takes a good agent (or one time even had to involve the rate desk) to get changes done on oddball itineraries. Try the change online first and see if you can get it done there, otherwise you'll have to call in, price for the change itself will be the same either way if applicable but you may have a fee for using the call center if you don't get it free from status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.