Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Fees for a change or redeposit :

• There are fees for some changes and redeposit , so please check the chart below for details. These fees apply to MileagePlus® awards on United, United Express®, Star Alliance® airline partners and other airline partners.
  • When requesting a change for more than one ticket, the fee applies to each ticket separately. If two people are traveling together and make a change, for example, there will be a fee for both.
  • When flying with one of our Star Alliance partners, changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure. {but some have managed without less -- somewhat YMMV -- but the rules state 24 hours}
  • Fees are based on the status of the mileage account holder at time of request

UA's Award ticketing options/service fees

Previous thread -- General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions
Print Wikipost

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:51 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Stephenk19
... Is it still the case where you can cancel an award ticket and get the miles back no penalty?

Some of the earlier posts seemed to show success with this, but does anyone know if there is an official policy around this from UA?
Depends on status. So no award redeposit fees for Plats/1K/GS, see policy for
Award ticketing options/service fees

More in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...5-forward.html
Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:45 pm
Formerly known as Stephenk19

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Depends on status. So no award redeposit fees for Plats/1K/GS, see policy for
Award ticketing options/service fees

More in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...5-forward.html
Thanks!
Old Mar 12, 2015, 3:23 pm
Formerly known as Stephenk19

Programs: Free Agent
Oops - one more question

Do the taxes and fees on the ticket get refunded too if cancelled?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Stephenk19
... Do the taxes and fees on the ticket get refunded too if cancelled?
yes but UA can be ratheeeeeer slowwwww on this and occasional will need some prodding.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 7:49 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Award redeposit options

Hello all

I have an award that I would like to either have the miles redeposited or just get the taxes refunded and forget about the redeposit.

17,500 miles, $67.94 taxes (MEX-LAX flight)

1) My understanding is there will be a $200 fee to cancel the award (I have no status), redeposit the 17,500 miles, and to have the $67.94 refunded.

2) if I just want to get the $67.94 refunded and not have the 17,500 redeposited is this possible? Would there be a fee and how do I do it? I don't have a whole lot of use for United points.

Last edited by jeffrocowboy; Apr 3, 2015 at 7:54 pm
Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
yes but UA can be ratheeeeeer slowwwww on this and occasional will need some prodding.
So far I've been very fortunate in that regard; my fees have been refunded pretty much simultaneous with the award cancellation. Wonder why the differences? They were always for overseas travel.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
I've read through this thread and didn't see this answered. I would book BKK-VIE-JFK all in the same day but there is a possibility that after I fly BKK-VIE I will need to stay there for a day or two. Will I be able to change the VIE-JFK leg for a later date? If yes, what are the fees involved (I have no status)?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by friedablass
I've read through this thread and didn't see this answered. I would book BKK-VIE-JFK all in the same day but there is a possibility that after I fly BKK-VIE I will need to stay there for a day or two. Will I be able to change the VIE-JFK leg for a later date? If yes, what are the fees involved (I have no status)?
yes & yes
see Award ticketing options/service fees
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Thank you, so I would be able to change just the VIE-JFK leg to a later date for a $100 fee.

Here's the next question: The booking of the BKK-VIE-JFK all in one day journey prices out at 80k miles in J (I put BKK-JFK in the search and that routing comes up as one of the results). However, if I need to book BKK-VIE on one day and then VIE-JFK on a later date the results show I would need to pay 85k mile for the first leg and another 57.5k miles for the second leg increasing the mileage output exponentially. So if I were to book BKK-VIE-JFK for 80k miles and then decide to change VIE-JFK for a couple of days later (and pay the $100 to change) will they also make me pay the additional miles?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by friedablass
So if I were to book BKK-VIE-JFK for 80k miles and then decide to change VIE-JFK for a couple of days later (and pay the $100 to change) will they also make me pay the additional miles?
They might.

A one-way ticket (which costs 80K miles for BKK-NYC) does not allow any stopovers. If you stop for more than 24 hours in VIE, you violate the routing rules and UA may reprice it as two separate tickets, BKK-VIE and VIE-JFK.

If you book it as a roundtrip, you can have a stopover, but not on a one-way.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:37 am

Programs: Avis First, Hertz PC, National EE,Enterprise Pt, Sixt Plantinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
24 hours change rule

I am in great need of some practical clarification of the 24 hours rule of partner award ticket.

I have a great possibility in just a few days that I need to change my award ticket within exactly 24 hours because of some uncertainties of whether I can make the trip. But I won't know until the evening before the morning departure next day.

From some early discussion in this thread, I see someone claimed to be able to change the flight even within 24 hours, presumably the online system allowed it. Can more people pls confirm this with personal experience? Hugh Thanks!
Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
Miles are a completely refundable currency for purchasing airfare. Depending on status, sometime there are fees in order to refund your currency. So I guess they are not completely refundable for everyone.

I have cancelled and booked award flights within 12 hours of travel. No fees either way. I guaranteed there are others around here who have done both much closer to flight time than me.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 4:34 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by SMFlagg
Miles are a completely refundable currency for purchasing airfare. Depending on status, sometime there are fees in order to refund your currency. So I guess they are not completely refundable for everyone.

I have cancelled and booked award flights within 12 hours of travel. No fees either way. I guaranteed there are others around here who have done both much closer to flight time than me.
I think people have cancelled at the gate and been OK, less fees to deposit if elite status <Plat.

But in general, I would make the case that the GS Experience is becoming further and further removed from that of those below.

When a GS talks, I listen! But it's more out of curiosity and a bit of envy than relevancy.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
What is the latest time that I can cancel award tickets as a Plat?

Simple question (I think).

I have a work trip coming up and will be taking my SO along with me. She doesn't know exactly when she wants to return, so I have booked her a total of 3 separate return flights on different dates (all saver awards, mix of business and economy).

What is the latest time that we can decide not to take each flight, and still get a full mileage refund as a Plat? The UA.com site seems to have extremely liberal rules on this, but I want to be sure I am not missing something. Can I go online an hour before the first flight is scheduled to take off, cancel it, and get the miles refunded?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Are the cancellation rules the same as for a 1K? If so, yes you can literally cancel at the last moment (and I've done it 90 minutes before flight time recently). I would recommend though that you Not check in for a flight to be cancelled!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.