Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Fees for a change or redeposit :

• There are fees for some changes and redeposit , so please check the chart below for details. These fees apply to MileagePlus® awards on United, United Express®, Star Alliance® airline partners and other airline partners.
  • When requesting a change for more than one ticket, the fee applies to each ticket separately. If two people are traveling together and make a change, for example, there will be a fee for both.
  • When flying with one of our Star Alliance partners, changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure. {but some have managed without less -- somewhat YMMV -- but the rules state 24 hours}
  • Fees are based on the status of the mileage account holder at time of request

UA's Award ticketing options/service fees

Previous thread -- General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold

Am 1k and am wondering whether can cancel an award ticket 5-6 hours before the actual flight?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by anandrag
Am 1k and am wondering whether can cancel an award ticket 5-6 hours before the actual flight?
Yes!
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by scottish_colin
Yes!
How close can I cut it? 1-2 hours even?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:11 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
yes and after the flight also (aka -- be a no show). The only limitation is the ticket must be used within a year of original purchase to avoid redepositing miles.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
yes and after the flight also (aka -- be a no show). The only limitation is the ticket must be used within a year of original purchase to avoid redepositing miles.
Great. Thanks. Guess can also redeposit for free as 1k even after flight time
Old Jan 2, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: 1k
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
OK

Doesn't it state a star alliance award ticket change must be made 24 hours before departure.

For ANA it says 4 days.

Isn't a cancellation a change to your itinerary?

What happens if you don't follow this rule?

thanks
Old Jan 2, 2015, 2:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Asiatraveler15
Doesn't it state a star alliance award ticket change must be made 24 hours before departure.

For ANA it says 4 days.
Yes but these restrictions are not enforced in practice.

Isn't a cancellation a change to your itinerary?
No, a cancel is a cancel. Different fees, different rules.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 8:10 am

Programs: 1k
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes but these restrictions are not enforced in practice....
HAHA. OK. I guess until someone sitting in front of a computer in some foreign country decides they want too.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 3, 2015 at 4:03 pm Reason: repaired formating
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Asiatraveler15
OK. I guess until someone sitting in front of a computer in some foreign country decides they want too.
Your question was about cancels within 24 hours and the answer is, no, you are wrong, there is no 24 hour restriction on cancelations. Cancels are not changes.

A separate question is whether UA will make changes to an award itinerary within 24 hours of departure. They will, although it can get dicey with some carriers inside of 24 hours and there's a risk you wind up at the airport but without a valid ticket.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Your question was about cancels within 24 hours and the answer is, no, you are wrong, there is no 24 hour restriction on cancelations. Cancels are not changes.

A separate question is whether UA will make changes to an award itinerary within 24 hours of departure. They will, although it can get dicey with some carriers inside of 24 hours and there's a risk you wind up at the airport but without a valid ticket.
So I can cancel ticket but not redeposit and do the rebook later option <5 hours before flight correct?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 1:26 pm

So I can cancel ticket but not redeposit and do the rebook later option <5 hours before flight correct?
1. As a 1K, why would you not redeposit? Is this a pre-deval award? If so, that raises its own issues.

2. You can try to book inside T-5. As mentioned in my previous post, if you're trying to book on a *A partner inside T-24, there may be problems getting the ticket issued in time. I wouldn't even try unless there was absolutely no other option.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 8:12 am
Original Poster

1. As a 1K, why would you not redeposit? Is this a pre-deval award? If so, that raises its own issues.

2. You can try to book inside T-5. As mentioned in my previous post, if you're trying to book on a *A partner inside T-24, there may be problems getting the ticket issued in time. I wouldn't even try unless there was absolutely no other option.
1. Yes pre-decal. What issues does it raise?

2. Wouldn't reissue for immediate travel so that's not an issue
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:32 pm
RJ1

I am about to travel on a business saver r/t award to Asia, on UA and BR. I have learned I might be faced with a situation where I need to return home on short notice, earlier than planned.

What are my options in this situation? Does a saver class seat have to be available in order to travel in business?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:41 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by RJ1
I am about to travel on a business saver r/t award to Asia, on UA and BR. I have learned I might be faced with a situation where I need to return home on short notice, earlier than planned.

What are my options in this situation? Does a saver class seat have to be available in order to travel in business?
Yes, you'd need to have saver space available on any flight you wanted to switch to. If that wasn't the case, everybody would book some random return date they didn't want (but was available as a saver fare) and then change once the trip started. I normally book as two one-ways so I'm not familiar with the mechanics of killing the return of a round-trip and then booking again. If you're below Plat elite level, you'll have some fees to pay.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by RJ1

Yes. The good news is that January is a great time to score business saver awards to and from Asia. Fee for changing the award within 21 days of departure is anywhere from zero to $100 depending on your status.

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
I normally book as two one-ways so I'm not familiar with the mechanics of killing the return of a round-trip and then booking again. If you're below Plat elite level, you'll have some fees to pay.
The cost to change an award is the same regardless whether it's booked as a OW or RT. "Killing the return" would be the wrong approach, as that will trigger a redeposit fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.