Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Fees for a change or redeposit :

• There are fees for some changes and redeposit , so please check the chart below for details. These fees apply to MileagePlus® awards on United, United Express®, Star Alliance® airline partners and other airline partners.
  • When requesting a change for more than one ticket, the fee applies to each ticket separately. If two people are traveling together and make a change, for example, there will be a fee for both.
  • When flying with one of our Star Alliance partners, changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure. {but some have managed without less -- somewhat YMMV -- but the rules state 24 hours}
  • Fees are based on the status of the mileage account holder at time of request

UA's Award ticketing options/service fees

Previous thread -- General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions
Print Wikipost

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:08 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Has anyone had any luck in getting the miles back for an unused portion of an award ticket based on inability to travel for medical reasons?

My mother (having medical issues) can't travel yet and needs to postpone the return portion of her trip beyond the one year issue date. HUCA'd several times and keep getting the same response--she can't extend beyond the one year from issue and won't get the 80K miles back if she cancels the ticket.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by stanj
Has anyone had any luck in getting the miles back for an unused portion of an award ticket based on inability to travel for medical reasons?

My mother (having medical issues) can't travel yet and needs to postpone the return portion of her trip beyond the one year issue date. HUCA'd several times and keep getting the same response--she can't extend beyond the one year from issue and won't get the 80K miles back if she cancels the ticket.
The only way you are going to have any success is to follow the online steps for asking for a refund. She will also need a letter from her Dr. saying she can't fly.

If you can get the letter then I'd have her call and cancel the trip and ask that the miles be redeposited into her acct. They will charge her $200 unless she has elite status. Then go to the UA website and click on Reservations/Refunds/E-Ticket refund. Follow the steps. She should get back $150 of the $200 fee.
I just did this and it worked fine. Took about 10 days and the $150 was credited back to my card.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:59 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Originally Posted by philemer
The only way you are going to have any success is to follow the online steps for asking for a refund. She will also need a letter from her Dr. saying she can't fly.

If you can get the letter then I'd have her call and cancel the trip and ask that the miles be redeposited into her acct. They will charge her $200 unless she has elite status. Then go to the UA website and click on Reservations/Refunds/E-Ticket refund. Follow the steps. She should get back $150 of the $200 fee.
I just did this and it worked fine. Took about 10 days and the $150 was credited back to my card.
She has a Dr's letter, so we'll give it a try. Thanks very much for the advice.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

She has a Dr's letter, so we'll give it a try. Thanks very much for the advice.
Make sure the letter says that the Dr. recommends she not travel.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 6:29 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Make sure the letter says that the Dr. recommends she not travel.
Yes, we made sure it says that.

One potential snag--when you say to call, cancel reservation, and ask for miles to be redeposited, that's where we ran into an issue w/ the reservations agents. They kept telling me that the miles would not be redeposited because she already started the trip. Do you think they'll make an exception to their no redeposit rule if we provide the Dr's letter?

I'm actually more concerned about the miles than the fee.

Thanks!
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, we made sure it says that.

One potential snag--when you say to call, cancel reservation, and ask for miles to be redeposited, that's where we ran into an issue w/ the reservations agents. They kept telling me that the miles would not be redeposited because she already started the trip. Do you think they'll make an exception to their no redeposit rule if we provide the Dr's letter?

I'm actually more concerned about the miles than the fee.

Thanks!
Someone else will have to answer this question. Did she book a r/t? Or is this a stopover?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 1:45 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Someone else will have to answer this question. Did she book a r/t? Or is this a stopover?
It's a r/t. I emailed customer service w/ the explanation and request to make an exception. We'll see what they say.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K 1MM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Reissue award ticket for same itinerary within one year?

Does anybody have any luck with -- or strategy for -- extending an award ticket past the one-year date of issuance? The short story is that wife and son redeemed my (Premier Gold) miles for ord-bos-ord standard tickets (50K miles) on 7/12/14 for travel 8/12/14. Trip had to be cancelled for family emergency, and we'd like to rebook the same itinerary for 7/30/15. I know the rule says one year from miles redemption, but has it been anyone's experience that they will extend it to one year from the initial date of travel? Thanks.

And is the rule based on status?

Last edited by cubfan99; Mar 8, 2015 at 4:10 pm Reason: adding an additional question
Old Mar 8, 2015, 3:47 pm

Changing award flights.

I have confirmed Gf award seats for next month. If by some miracle, business saver seats open up, can I change flights and get the decreased miles credited back to my account? Thanks in advance
Old Mar 8, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Yes, but will need to cancel GF ticket & book new biz saver award, and incur mileage redeposit fee unless you are UA platinum or higher status.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by npei
Yes, but will need to cancel GF ticket & book new biz saver award, and incur mileage redeposit fee unless you are UA platinum or higher status.
No , I'm UA tin level I think. Kind of what I figured. We'll use the wife's
Miles then.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:48 pm

Booked travel on UA.Com but schedule change on *A carrier

Hi

I have booked an open jaw international flight with the return leg being LHR - BKK - AKL.

I was on TG917 which departed at 21.00 and arrived the next day in BKK and there was a 3hr stopover til the next flight to AKL.

However TG have changed their flight schedule and UA have advised me of this change and have put me on a flight departing LHR at 12.00 the next day.

The problem being that the BKK - AKL has not been changed. I,m booked on the original flight which will leave about 12 hrs before I get to BKK.

Also there are no more award flights showing on the next day for the BKK-AKL leg.

Hope that makes since.

Any suggestions as to a remedy.

Cheers

Last edited by maxwalker101; Mar 9, 2015 at 11:00 pm
Old Mar 11, 2015, 7:38 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K 1MM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
One year deadline for award ticket reissue?

Does anybody have any luck with -- or strategy for -- extending an award ticket past the one-year date of issuance? The short story is that wife and son redeemed my (Premier Gold) miles for ord-bos-ord standard tickets (50K miles) on 7/12/14 for travel 8/12/14. Trip had to be cancelled for family emergency, and we'd like to rebook the same itinerary for 7/30/15. I know the rule says one year from miles redemption, but has it been anyone's experience that they will extend it to one year from the initial date of travel? And is the rule based on status? Thanks.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by cubfan99
Does anybody have any luck with -- or strategy for -- extending an award ticket past the one-year date of issuance? The short story is that wife and son redeemed my (Premier Gold) miles for ord-bos-ord standard tickets (50K miles) on 7/12/14 for travel 8/12/14. Trip had to be cancelled for family emergency, and we'd like to rebook the same itinerary for 7/30/15. I know the rule says one year from miles redemption, but has it been anyone's experience that they will extend it to one year from the initial date of travel? And is the rule based on status? Thanks.
Under some conditions (certain major changes) award tickets get reissued. In that case the original expiry date still applies but is not displayed as part of the reservation. Many agents will then allow further changes past the original expiry date. Once UA realizes that the reservation has gone past ne year you will be denied further changes. In my experience, UA will not knowingly/intentionally extend an award ticket past one year.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:02 am
Formerly known as Stephenk19

Programs: Free Agent
To bump this thread,

Is it still the case where you can cancel an award ticket and get the miles back no penalty?

Some of the earlier posts seemed to show success with this, but does anyone know if there is an official policy around this from UA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.