Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Fees for a change or redeposit :

• There are fees for some changes and redeposit , so please check the chart below for details. These fees apply to MileagePlus® awards on United, United Express®, Star Alliance® airline partners and other airline partners.
  • When requesting a change for more than one ticket, the fee applies to each ticket separately. If two people are traveling together and make a change, for example, there will be a fee for both.
  • When flying with one of our Star Alliance partners, changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure. {but some have managed without less -- somewhat YMMV -- but the rules state 24 hours}
  • Fees are based on the status of the mileage account holder at time of request

UA's Award ticketing options/service fees

Previous thread -- General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions
Print Wikipost

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2016, 5:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sponge_gto
Well I guess you just saved me the trouble at dragging this out any longer. FWIW, the itinerary is something of a beauty here

NKG-CAN-BKK-MEL-AKL on the outbound, open-jaw then CHC-MEL-BKK-ICN-NKG inbound. 40k per pax in business though with tons of economy segments
I wouldn't even think about trying that with the CA segments.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 7:45 pm

Programs: MR, UR, UA
Originally Posted by Kacee
I wouldn't even think about trying that with the CA segments.
Then you might find it surprising that there are no CA segments NKG-CAN is actually on Shenzhen Airlines but I guess they are supposed to be some subsidiary of CA? Anyways I feel very relieved now knowing there is nothing I can do.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 10:45 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
Award Changes After Ticket Issuance

Hey everyone!

Mods, feel free to move around. Tried to find a post around award tickets but couldn't find anything specific to changes. And sorry for all the questions in advance - first time booking an award and trying to get it done right.

I'm wanting to fly LIM>DEN 13/Jan, DEN>SFO 23/Jan, SFO>LIM 25/Jan. Currently, LIM>DEN only has Standard availability for both Y and J, DEN>SFO has Saver Y and Standard F, and SFO>LIM has Saver Y and Standard F. I'm thinking on doing the following, all in one ticket:

Booking LIM>DEN Standard J (70k miles)
Booking DEN>SFO Saver Y (0 miles, Excursionist's Perk)
Booking SFO>LIM Saver Y (20k miles)
Waitlist SFO>LIM Saver J (15k miles (20k+15k))
Waitlist DEN>SFO Saver J (0 miles, Excursionist's Perk)

Then, if/when LIM>DEN opens up for Saver J or Saver Y, make a change to either Saver J, or Saver Y + IN Waitlist, and getting a refund of 40k miles for the Standard>Saver change. Currently a 1K so not worried about redeposit/change fees.

Air award experts, does this sound reasonable and legal according to fare rules? I'm trying to do it as soon as possible because I don't want to risk the SFO>LIM saver space going away.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by joseeantonior; Dec 18, 2016 at 11:49 pm
Old Dec 21, 2016, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1k
You cannot mix saver and full award tickets, so that isn't going to work for you.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by joseeantonior
Hey everyone!

Mods, feel free to move around. Tried to find a post around award tickets but couldn't find anything specific to changes. And sorry for all the questions in advance - first time booking an award and trying to get it done right.

I'm wanting to fly LIM>DEN 13/Jan, DEN>SFO 23/Jan, SFO>LIM 25/Jan. Currently, LIM>DEN only has Standard availability for both Y and J, DEN>SFO has Saver Y and Standard F, and SFO>LIM has Saver Y and Standard F. I'm thinking on doing the following, all in one ticket:

Booking LIM>DEN Standard J (70k miles)
Booking DEN>SFO Saver Y (0 miles, Excursionist's Perk)
Booking SFO>LIM Saver Y (20k miles)
Waitlist SFO>LIM Saver J (15k miles (20k+15k))
Waitlist DEN>SFO Saver J (0 miles, Excursionist's Perk)

Then, if/when LIM>DEN opens up for Saver J or Saver Y, make a change to either Saver J, or Saver Y + IN Waitlist, and getting a refund of 40k miles for the Standard>Saver change. Currently a 1K so not worried about redeposit/change fees.

Air award experts, does this sound reasonable and legal according to fare rules? I'm trying to do it as soon as possible because I don't want to risk the SFO>LIM saver space going away.

Thanks in advance!
I was having trouble following you exactly, but be aware that making changes to a single segment of an existing award ticket without disturbing the other segments is now problematic (close to impossible?), even for 1K.

Not any flexibility with award tickets anymore.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...hanges-23.html
Old Dec 21, 2016, 6:17 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by Richym99
You cannot mix saver and full award tickets, so that isn't going to work for you.
I was able to book it successfully. No problem mixing both Standard and Savers

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I was having trouble following you exactly, but be aware that making changes to a single segment of an existing award ticket without disturbing the other segments is now problematic (close to impossible?), even for 1K.

Not any flexibility with award tickets anymore.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...hanges-23.html
Uh-oh. Even over the phone? Right now the LIM-IAH segment is Y5, Z9 (13 seatmap). I think that's the reason why they won't be releasing any Saver seats till last min, and that'll be the moment where I call and make the change.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:01 pm

I've read a couple blogs about the trick of booking >21 days, then changing to a closer date. Does this also work for Star Alliance awards?

Also, I want to make sure I would be doing this right. I'm interested in EVA J LAX-TPE, which isn't available now. However, the trend I've noticed is that EVA opens up J awards 1 week prior to departure pretty consistently. On top of that, much of February is available. My plan would be around 1/10, I would book 2/3, then almost immediately call in to change that to 1/17. Does that sound right? If note, I'll book with SQ miles or something, but I have a decent amount of UA miles right now.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: UA Plat
I'm not sure the wiki is correct. I booked an award ticket as Silver and tried to change it as Gold. I was charged the Silver change fee. Call to CS confirmed that the change fee is based on status when the ticket was issued.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 3:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by economyplusfan
I'm not sure the wiki is correct. I booked an award ticket as Silver and tried to change it as Gold. I was charged the Silver change fee. Call to CS confirmed that the change fee is based on status when the ticket was issued.
That has not been the the practice for the past few years
UA states
Fee level is based on the MileagePlus status of the member whose miles were used to book the award.
which is a bit ambiguous but it has long been status at time of change (from personal experience -- and experience you will find in this thread). I would have bumped it up to a supervisor.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I've read a couple blogs about the trick of booking >21 days, then changing to a closer date. Does this also work for Star Alliance awards?

Also, I want to make sure I would be doing this right. I'm interested in EVA J LAX-TPE, which isn't available now. However, the trend I've noticed is that EVA opens up J awards 1 week prior to departure pretty consistently. On top of that, much of February is available. My plan would be around 1/10, I would book 2/3, then almost immediately call in to change that to 1/17. Does that sound right? If note, I'll book with SQ miles or something, but I have a decent amount of UA miles right now.
Any advise on this?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
With the new rules and new year, have opened General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2017] . Will close this thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 19, 2017 at 10:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.