Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Fees for a change or redeposit :

• There are fees for some changes and redeposit , so please check the chart below for details. These fees apply to MileagePlus® awards on United, United Express®, Star Alliance® airline partners and other airline partners.
  • When requesting a change for more than one ticket, the fee applies to each ticket separately. If two people are traveling together and make a change, for example, there will be a fee for both.
  • When flying with one of our Star Alliance partners, changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure. {but some have managed without less -- somewhat YMMV -- but the rules state 24 hours}
  • Fees are based on the status of the mileage account holder at time of request

UA's Award ticketing options/service fees

Previous thread -- General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions
Print Wikipost

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2015, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Any chance that the 2 flights they changed are on United Express? If so, are they operated by different contract airlines? GoJet versus Mesa. ExpressJet vs ComAir? Etc.

A change of operating carrier is an automatic reason to be able to cancel the ticket without penalty.
Bingo! First two flights were mainline, on re-issued ticket first two flights are now on United Express.

THANKS!
Old Jun 12, 2015, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by shdflyer
Bingo! First two flights were mainline, on re-issued ticket first two flights are now on United Express.

THANKS!
Great. Glad you were able to take advantage of United's all-too-frequent schedule changes. Change of operating carrier is a slam dunk...no relying on agent discretion. ^
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:58 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Fee to Change/Redeposit Award Itinerary in First 24 Hours?

Is there a grace period for avoiding fees, including the above fees and the original close-in booking fee, if you cancel within 24 hours? Similar to revenue tickets, that is.

Thanks.....
Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Indeed there is.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
yes!!
Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:35 pm

Fee for redeposited award itinerary changes

This is just my personal experience. I'm Gold on United. There have been times when I called and the agent will not work me. Rake the fullest amount they can. Then there are times when I called and been given courtesy and fees waived.

For example, I used miles for my trip to South America. I made a mistake on the dates of travels. I called a few days later (way outside of the 24 hour change period), I think I was on 72 hours at that point. I was successful in getting the agent to change my return date to a later date.

I called again a few days after the initial change (about a week after the reservation now) and asked if I can change my departure date to an earlier date. They gracefully did it without even a hesitation. So I was able to leave early and return early without being charged a fee. Not sure if this helps.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 3:31 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Exec Plat (2MM)
"Too Many Changes"?

Living in Australia, I usually deal with the Singapore Res Ctr.

I recently tried to change a business class award ticket on a Star Alliance partner for myself and my wife and was told it couldn't be done as I had made "too many changes" to it. I had previously made a couple of minor changes (eg changed to later flight on same day). I had no idea such a "rule" existed, and wondered if it was just an arbitrary decision.

Anyone else had such an issue?
Old Jun 18, 2015, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by Budley
I recently tried to change a business class award ticket on a Star Alliance partner for myself and my wife and was told it couldn't be done as I had made "too many changes" to it.
No such rule. PERIOD.

You were the victim of a MOLA*. HUACA.

Dave

* Misleading, or lying, agent
Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:50 pm

Refund change fees on award ticket with cancellation?

I have an award ticket that I had to pay change fees on to alter flights, now there has been a significant schedule change. If I cancel due to the schedule change will I also get my change fees refunded? It would be great if I could get change fees, miles and taxes all refunded due to a schedule change.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
No....
Old Jun 19, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: 1k
It is No and depending on your status ( I assume you have none) and time frame of cancel, I believe you will have to pay an additional cancellation fee.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 2:03 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Exec Plat (2MM)
Originally Posted by bseller
No such rule. PERIOD.

You were the victim of a MOLA*. HUACA.

Dave

* Misleading, or lying, agent
Thanks for that. It's what I had assumed. They seem to make up the rules as they go.

In future I'll probably go straight to an agent in the US.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:53 pm

I can change an award routing/carrier without a fee?

I just wanted to verify that as a Premier Silver that I can change an award routing and carrier without a fee. The reason I ask is because the last time I looked into this (several years ago) there was a fee for changing carriers (maybe this was pre-merger), and I want to make sure I am reading the current award fee chart correctly.

We are looking to go to Europe next year during peak season for a change, so I am eager to book something now. For the return, my boyfriend is looking at CDG-FRA-EWR-MHT and we would like to change that to CDG-EWR-MHT, if inventory opens up. So no fee as Silvers?

Thanks.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wcj1
I just wanted to verify that as a Premier Silver that I can change an award routing and carrier without a fee. The reason I ask is because the last time I looked into this (several years ago) there was a fee for changing carriers (maybe this was pre-merger), and I want to make sure I am reading the current award fee chart correctly.
Yes, provided you are more than 21 days from departure.

Note that the fee chart is very confusing on this point (Award Ticketing Fees), and some agents get it wrong.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: nada
Award: Close in booking fee + 24 hr refund?

I didn't see any specifics in a search--does anyone know how the mileage ticket close-in booking fee ("Booking a MileagePlus award ticket through any channel, less than 21 days before departure" which is $75 for a general member) works in conjunction with a 24 hour refund?
Is it lost or am I able to cancel without penalty (including the fee) within 24 hrs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.