Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Fees for a change or redeposit :

• There are fees for some changes and redeposit , so please check the chart below for details. These fees apply to MileagePlus® awards on United, United Express®, Star Alliance® airline partners and other airline partners.
  • When requesting a change for more than one ticket, the fee applies to each ticket separately. If two people are traveling together and make a change, for example, there will be a fee for both.
  • When flying with one of our Star Alliance partners, changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure. {but some have managed without less -- somewhat YMMV -- but the rules state 24 hours}
  • Fees are based on the status of the mileage account holder at time of request

UA's Award ticketing options/service fees

Previous thread -- General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions
Print Wikipost

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, A3 Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, former UA Premier Executive
If my Premier Platinum friend books me an award ticket using his miles, can I upgrade using mine? If that's possible, it still avoids fees because his status is what's being used since he booked the ticket initially, right?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: US Air, Flying Blue, United, Air Canada, Aeromexico
Refund/cancellation policy for award travel

Where can I find out about the refund/cancellation policy for flights booked with MilagePlus miles?
Specifically, if I book a one-way flight for 2 passengers now (YYZ-PVR) using 35000 MP miles and I decide to cancel it later, am I getting back all the miles (and cash I paid for fees)? Thank you.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by ticu
Where can I find out about the refund/cancellation policy for flights booked with MilagePlus miles?
Specifically, if I book a one-way flight for 2 passengers now (YYZ-PVR) using 35000 MP miles and I decide to cancel it later, am I getting back all the miles (and cash I paid for fees)? Thank you.
You may have to pay for a mileage re-deposit fee depending on your elite status.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ticu
You can cancel within 24 hours for a full refund.

After that, you'll have to pay a redeposit fee to get the miles back. $200 per ticket if no UA status. Booking fees would not be refunded. Taxes would be.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: UA PP, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Here's the page:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ticketing.aspx
Old Jul 14, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: US Air, Flying Blue, United, Air Canada, Aeromexico
Originally Posted by Lore
Thank you all. Good I asked before doing something stupid.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 3:21 pm

As a Premier Platinum, if i book a reward ticket and then cancel / redeposit, do I have to use those miles within 1 year from date of issue? Or do I just have one year from the date of issue to cancel the trip and have the miles redeposited to my MP account?
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by olouie
As a Premier Platinum, if i book a reward ticket and then cancel / redeposit, do I have to use those miles within 1 year from date of issue? ...
no -- once redeposited the miles have no time limit other than the account expiration date.

Originally Posted by olouie
... Or do I just have one year from the date of issue to cancel the trip and have the miles redeposited to my MP account?
yes
Old Jul 17, 2015, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
no -- once redeposited the miles have no time limit other than the account expiration date.

yes
Awesome! Thanks for the information.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 5:08 am

Penalty for cancelling leg of an award?

I have a 3 leg award ticket using United Miles about 6 weeks out:
BOS - IAD (United Economy)
IAD - ADD (Ethiopian Business)
ADD-JNB (Ethiopian Business)

However, the first leg has a ridiculously early departure, with an almost 4 hr layover in IAD. I've been mulling over whether it would be possible to cancel the 1st leg, but keep the other 2 legs (not cancel entire itinerary and rebook the last 2 legs, but hold on to them while cancelling the first leg...also the mileage needed would be the same if we started from the 2nd leg), and getting a more convenient positioning flight to IAD.

Could this be done, and if so, what would the penalty/fee to do such a thing?

I have a hunch that it's not worth the trouble, and I might as well keep the itinerary, but was curious what it would look like.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by KHTravelBitten
Could this be done, and if so, what would the penalty/fee to do such a thing?
Yes. Assuming no UA status, the change fee would be $75 per ticket. If you make it within 21 days of departure, the price rises to $100 per ticket.

United Award Ticketing Fees.

Although I would add that a 4 layover does not strike me as totally unreasonably for the domestic-international connection. Particularly since you can use the LH lounge at IAD
Old Jul 22, 2015, 11:05 am

Booked a reward trip to Colombia/Ecuador over Thanksgiving and just changed two segments and had significantly different taxes charged. They did send it to the rate desk the second time though and manually priced it, but it took over an hour.

Original itin:

IAH-PTY-CTG(stopover)-MDE-BOG-UIO-GPS(open jaw)-GYE-SAL-GUA-IAH

New itin:

IAH-BOG-CTG(stopover)-MDE-BOG-UIO-GPS(open jaw)-GYE-SAL-GUA-IAH

As you can see, only swapped in BOG for PTY.

Old taxes: Fare Breakdown
Airfare: 0.00 USD
September 11th Security Fee: 5.60
U.S. Customs User Fee: 5.50
U.S. Immigration User Fee: 7.00
U.S. APHIS User Fee: 5.00
Panama Airport Security Fee: 1.25
Colombia Airport Tax: 43.90
Colombia Tourism Tax: 15.00
Ecuador Infrastructure Tax : 10.00
Ecuador Airport Tax: 14.70
Ecuador Airport Tax: 26.32
Ecuador Airport Auxiliary Facilities Tax: 5.00
Ecuador Security Fee: 8.77
Guatemala Airport Security Fee: 2.60
Per Person Total: 150.64

New itin taxes:

Fare Breakdown
Airfare: 0.00 USD
September 11th Security Fee: 5.60
U.S. Customs User Fee: 5.50
U.S. Immigration User Fee: 7.00
U.S. APHIS User Fee: 5.00
Colombia Airport Tax: 48.70
Colombia Tourism Tax: 15.00
Ecuador Infrastructure Tax : 10.00
Ecuador Airport Tax: 14.70
Ecuador Security Fee: 8.77
Ecuador Tourism Tax: 20.00
Ecuador Airport Tax: 26.32
Q2: 5.00
Guatemala Airport Security Fee: 0.60
Per Person Total: 174.19

Random additional Ecuador tourism tax?

Guatemala dropped from $2.60 to $0.60?

What is Q2 for $5?

I get why the Colombia tax may have increased (additional flight domestically), but this just seems hokie.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: UA - Plat; TK - Elite; Marriott - Gold
Switch from Econ Savers to Business Savers?

My cousin (Gold) booked my niece on a Savers flight for LAX-BOS (economy - 12.5k miles; Standard is 25k)

I saw that her flight had opened Business Savers (25k miles). As a Plat, can I call and request the Business Saver and pay the difference in miles? Or will this require to cancel that segment and re-book into the Business Savers?

If the latter, I assume my cousin's miles (for this segment) will be refunded. But will there be any change fees/booking fees, since I am the Plat who is requesting the change and to use my miles for the rebook?

PS. If it sounds too complicated, I'm probably just going to leave it alone so as not to have any agents accidentally mess her itin.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by lcatfishl
My cousin (Gold) booked my niece on a Savers flight for LAX-BOS (economy - 12.5k miles; Standard is 25k)

I saw that her flight had opened Business Savers (25k miles). As a Plat, can I call and request the Business Saver and pay the difference in miles? Or will this require to cancel that segment and re-book into the Business Savers?

If the latter, I assume my cousin's miles (for this segment) will be refunded. But will there be any change fees/booking fees, since I am the Plat who is requesting the change and to use my miles for the rebook?
If you want to change the ticket, the additional miles must come from the same account (i.e., your cousin's). You could just book a new ticket from your account, but redeposit of miles to your cousin's account would incur a $100 redeposit fee.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA - Plat; TK - Elite; Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
If you want to change the ticket, the additional miles must come from the same account (i.e., your cousin's). You could just book a new ticket from your account, but redeposit of miles to your cousin's account would incur a $100 redeposit fee.
Thanks, Kacee!
That's what I was afraid of. I guess I'll just keep it as is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.