Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Fees for a change or redeposit :

• There are fees for some changes and redeposit , so please check the chart below for details. These fees apply to MileagePlus® awards on United, United Express®, Star Alliance® airline partners and other airline partners.
  • When requesting a change for more than one ticket, the fee applies to each ticket separately. If two people are traveling together and make a change, for example, there will be a fee for both.
  • When flying with one of our Star Alliance partners, changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure. {but some have managed without less -- somewhat YMMV -- but the rules state 24 hours}
  • Fees are based on the status of the mileage account holder at time of request

UA's Award ticketing options/service fees

Previous thread -- General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions
Print Wikipost

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2015, 11:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Changing or canceling an award after travel has begun

There are some older threads on related subjects, but nothing that really covers my situation.

I have an award booked with one domestic segment, a long layover, an international segment, some time at this destination, and a final international segment. Let's call it US1-US2-INT-US2. My plans are now changing. I'm definitely flying US1-US2, but I need to push US2-INT-US2 by several months. I know from reading the other threads that I can make date changes to US2-INT-US2 after flying the US1-US2 leg, but would I be able to cancel US2-INT-US2 after flying US1-US2 and get back the mileage difference between the original itinerary and the new domestic one-way? (I don't care about the fees, but just whether this is even possible.) I may have to rebook US2-INT-US2 outside the ticket validity window, but may not know until after flying US1-US2.

My alternative is to simply change the award now to the domestic one-way and pay the change fee, but if I can avoid the fee, that's always better.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 1:02 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
I think you might know more on this question than I do. I asked an UA this earlier this year and they said whenever you start any journey you can't refund any portion of it. But I'm sure you can hear differently from other agents.

I tried asking for a refund on this ticket a month ago and was denied.
INT-US1-INT (PAX flew INT-US1) I requested cancellation (due to MERS) on the return and was denied. Multiple agents said I could only request an refund online and it has to have good reasoning (doctors note/medical, special cases)
Old Jul 12, 2015, 4:48 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Perhaps there will be a sked change before departure, which would allow you to cancel your itinerary without the change fee, and rebook more workable flight dates separately?
Old Jul 12, 2015, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Seems the safest way is to lose the free stopover and book the domestic one way. But i do agree that you could wait for a schedule change to redeposit without a fee.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Thanks to everyone who responded in the thread and via PM.

Originally Posted by aacharya
Seems the safest way is to lose the free stopover and book the domestic one way.
Sounds like this is the case. At least it's only $25 per person for the change.

Originally Posted by aacharya
But i do agree that you could wait for a schedule change to redeposit without a fee.
The first segment is on United, and the rest are on AC and TK, so I think the chances of a schedule change are minimal.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, A3 Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, former UA Premier Executive
I think this is the right spot to ask this question. Used to have UA status but have since moved to AA and haven't had to try this since having no UA status.

I want to book LH award flight in J (non-schengen-FRA-schengen) and if a F seat opens up two weeks before can I upgrade without a change fee?

Also, I'd like to book the shortest layover possible (1.5 hrs) if I'm in J, but if I can snag an F seat I'd like to rent the Porsche for a few hours and hang out in the FCT. Do I get FCT access since I came in on LH F even though I'm leaving on LH J since it's only a "two cabin" plane? And would United let me change to the later flight that gives me a long layover without a fee (would make both changes on the same call)?

Thank you!

Last edited by noreservations; Jul 12, 2015 at 10:00 pm Reason: Clarified a question.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by noreservations
I want to book LH award flight in J (non-schengen-FRA-schengen) and if a F seat opens up two weeks before can I upgrade without a change fee?
You would have to book a three-class F award in the first place to be able to do that. Otherwise, it's $100.

Do I get FCT access since I came in on LH F even though I'm leaving on LH J since it's only a "two cabin" plane?
AFAIK, you need to be departing in three-class F to get access to the FCT. European "Business Class" doesn't cut it.

And would United let me change to the later flight that gives me a long layover without a fee
As a non-status passenger, simple schedule changes cost $75 if they're more than 21 days out, or $100 if within 21 days.

See http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ticketing.aspx for the complete fee schedule.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, A3 Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, former UA Premier Executive
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You would have to book a three-class F award in the first place to be able to do that. Otherwise, it's $100.

AFAIK, you need to be departing in three-class F to get access to the FCT. European "Business Class" doesn't cut it.

As a non-status passenger, simple schedule changes cost $75 if they're more than 21 days out, or $100 if within 21 days.

See http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ticketing.aspx for the complete fee schedule.
So what I'm gathering here is that it's better to just pay the $75 close-in booking fee, otherwise I'd pay a ton in all the stacking fees? It's not a US route and availability is wide open for the next two weeks so I don't anticipate there being a problem getting an F seat when they do open up, but would rather have something than nothing in the meantime.

Also, to answer my own question: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...-fct-faqs.html

You have arrived on a confirmed F segment on LH or LX metal, on the same day, even if the ticket of that F segment is different from the ticket of the segment from FRA.

Last edited by noreservations; Jul 12, 2015 at 10:25 pm Reason: FCT part.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 12:34 pm

Hello. I have to cancel a one way international award ticket. I just have a few questions. I'm non elite.
1. When is the latest time to cancel? I searched through the thread, but couldn't find an exact answer, is it 24 hours, 2hours, or even after the flight?
2. I saw there are 2 options to cancel, cancel and book later (cost $100) and redeposit ($200). I'm not sure if I'll travel in the next year, but would it be possible to choose option 1 and pay $100 (cancel and rebook later) and request a redeposit when one year is approaching?
TIA!
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by oliver0118
Hello. I have to cancel a one way international award ticket. I just have a few questions. I'm non elite.
1. When is the latest time to cancel? I searched through the thread, but couldn't find an exact answer, is it 24 hours, 2hours, or even after the flight?
2. I saw there are 2 options to cancel, cancel and book later (cost $100) and redeposit ($200). I'm not sure if I'll travel in the next year, but would it be possible to choose option 1 and pay $100 (cancel and rebook later) and request a redeposit when one year is approaching?
TIA!
For re-book later, does it have to bee the exact same route? or Just the same origin and destination?
Old Jul 13, 2015, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
For re-book later, does it have to bee the exact same route? or Just the same origin and destination?
I'm not sure yet... But I think re-book later can even change the origin or destination, no?
Old Jul 13, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm not sure yet... But I think re-book later can even change the origin or destination, no?
Correct. It just affects the amount of the change fee, since changing origin/destination can result in a higher fee.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Correct. It just affects the amount of the change fee, since changing origin/destination can result in a higher fee.
Oh, I see. So does it mean that if I want to re-book later, I need pay $100 cancellation fee plus some other award change fee in this chart (http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...cketing.aspx)? eg. 100+100 if I change the origin and destination?

I think the origin and destination will probably remain the same, but I may choose a different flight from partners', depending which one is available.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 4:44 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Oh, I see. So does it mean that if I want to re-book later, I need pay $100 cancellation fee plus some other award change fee in this chart (http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...cketing.aspx)? eg. 100+100 if I change the origin and destination?
There's not technically a "cancel" fee. You can cancel the reservation without incurring a charge. But if you want to re-use the ticket (i.e., make changes, whether to date, origin, destination, etc.), you'll need to pay the applicable change fee. Alternatively, if you want to redeposit the miles to your account, you'll have to pay the redeposit fee.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
There's not technically a "cancel" fee. You can cancel the reservation without incurring a charge. But if you want to re-use the ticket (i.e., make changes, whether to date, origin, destination, etc.), you'll need to pay the applicable change fee. Alternatively, if you want to redeposit the miles to your account, you'll have to pay the redeposit fee.
Thanks so much, Kacee! So if I understand correctly, after canceling my ticket now, I could either request a rebook later with an applicable change fee, or request a deposit any time within one year, am I right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.