Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Fees for a change or redeposit :

• There are fees for some changes and redeposit , so please check the chart below for details. These fees apply to MileagePlus® awards on United, United Express®, Star Alliance® airline partners and other airline partners.
  • When requesting a change for more than one ticket, the fee applies to each ticket separately. If two people are traveling together and make a change, for example, there will be a fee for both.
  • When flying with one of our Star Alliance partners, changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure. {but some have managed without less -- somewhat YMMV -- but the rules state 24 hours}
  • Fees are based on the status of the mileage account holder at time of request

UA's Award ticketing options/service fees

Previous thread -- General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions
Print Wikipost

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
No, $150/passenger to get your miles back.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MonoMow
Yesterday, my company announced restructuring and I got laid off.
I may need to cancel the trip, and so can I get my miles back without any penalty fee?
That sucks, sorry.

Originally Posted by mduell
No, $150/passenger to get your miles back.
$200.

Or $100 to move travel dates back (no change to origin destination).
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi, So I've planned award travels to Istanbul using my united miles for myself and a companion.

Yesterday, my company announced restructuring and I got laid off.
I may need to cancel the trip, and so can I get my miles back without any penalty fee??

thanks.
You don't list it but do you have any status with UA? The higher your status the less you have to pay in fees down to 0 for some statuses.

This link will take you to the UA site for fees.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ticketing.aspx

And sorry you lost your job. I know what it feels like.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Yesterday, my company announced restructuring and I got laid off.
I may need to cancel the trip, and so can I get my miles back without any penalty fee?? ....
You can try calling and see if you can get any consideration. Back in the 2008/2009 timeframe there was a policy but have not heard of anything recently.
If no success, then pay the fees and appeal for a refund based on "unplanned event."
Old Jun 11, 2015, 8:49 pm

Award Cancelled -- Rebooking Question

For first time in years I am only a Gold and don't have benefit of free award cancellation/redeposit.

So regarding rebooking a cancelled award ticket -- I have heard conflicting things and can't figure out which one of these is the truth:

1) Must rebook a new award within 1 year of the original award's date of issue, and a new 1 year clock begins with a new date of issue for the new award ticket
or
2) Must rebook a new award AND complete all travel within 1 year of the original award's date of issue.

If #2 is true, is there any way to extend validity of ticket past 1 year to avoid the redeposit fee?

Thanks for helping me understand which is the truth!
Old Jun 11, 2015, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
2.) is technically correct, but if you can modify it on .bomb, you can usually extend past the technical validity date
Old Jun 11, 2015, 9:14 pm

If you cancel an award ticket, I thought the miles go back to your account, and then you can use those miles whenever and however you want to, with no deadlines or restrictions. No?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 9:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyWorld
If you cancel an award ticket, I thought the miles go back to your account, and then you can use those miles whenever and however you want to, with no deadlines or restrictions. No?
If you cancel and also redeposit, there may be a fee for elites lower than Plat.
For those subject to a fee you can cancel and rebook if same O/D for no fee as long as you do that within a year of the original purchase.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If you cancel and also redeposit, there may be a fee for elites lower than Plat.
For those subject to a fee you can cancel and rebook if same O/D for no fee as long as you do that within a year of the original purchase.
But if you press the button to cancel an award ticket, don't the miles go back, and doesn't the fee get assessed, all automatically, at that time? I've never been given an option (that I can recall) to not pay the fee, not get back the miles, and put the ticket into a holding state for rebooking later.

Is this something that can be done on the web site or it's a process that requires a phone call to do?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 11:19 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
So would that entail the "change flight" option? Or is it something that has to be called in? I can see the source of confusion voice by some here. If you "cancel" a reservation, the miles go back into your account and you get assessed a fee (if below Plat). How do you "cancel and rebook" on-line? What's the process?

Thanks-
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:10 am

Question Free Award Cancellation if United Changes Award Ticket from A-B-C-D to A-X-C-D

I am Gold and have $100 fee for saver award cancellation and redeposit of miles.

I got my wife a Saver award IAD-BOS-DEN-FCA but United changed the routing after ticketing to IAD-STL-DEN-FCA

Departure flight/time and Arrival flight/time are the same.

much better routing, but my wife can't go
so
can I cancel without penalty because they changed the routing after I bought the ticket?
Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by shdflyer
I am Gold and have $100 fee for saver award cancellation and redeposit of miles.

I got my wife a Saver award IAD-BOS-DEN-FCA but United changed the routing after ticketing to IAD-STL-DEN-FCA

Departure flight/time and Arrival flight/time are the same.

much better routing, but my wife can't go
so
can I cancel without penalty because they changed the routing after I bought the ticket?
Thanks!
Yes, just tell them it doesn't work for your wife and you weren't given the choice to consider the option.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Any chance that the 2 flights they changed are on United Express? If so, are they operated by different contract airlines? GoJet versus Mesa. ExpressJet vs ComAir? Etc.

A change of operating carrier is an automatic reason to be able to cancel the ticket without penalty.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
According to the Contract of Carriage, simply changing an intermediate point is not grounds for free cancellation. However, you may find a friendly (or uninformed) agent who will do it.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Any chance that the 2 flights they changed are on United Express? If so, are they operated by different contract airlines? GoJet versus Mesa. ExpressJet vs ComAir? Etc.

A change of operating carrier is an automatic reason to be able to cancel the ticket without penalty.
That, or a 'significant' change in departure or arrival time that the DOT does not define. Changing a non-stop to direct, or changing a direct to a connection, also grant eligibility for a fee-free refund by DOT guidance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.