Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Fees for a change or redeposit :

• There are fees for some changes and redeposit , so please check the chart below for details. These fees apply to MileagePlus® awards on United, United Express®, Star Alliance® airline partners and other airline partners.
  • When requesting a change for more than one ticket, the fee applies to each ticket separately. If two people are traveling together and make a change, for example, there will be a fee for both.
  • When flying with one of our Star Alliance partners, changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure. {but some have managed without less -- somewhat YMMV -- but the rules state 24 hours}
  • Fees are based on the status of the mileage account holder at time of request

UA's Award ticketing options/service fees

Previous thread -- General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions
Print Wikipost

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by crnk
I didn't see any specifics in a search--does anyone know how the mileage ticket close-in booking fee ("Booking a MileagePlus award ticket through any channel, less than 21 days before departure" which is $75 for a general member) works in conjunction with a 24 hour refund?
Is it lost or am I able to cancel without penalty (including the fee) within 24 hrs?
The close in fee is not refunded.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
how do I change an award RETURN ticket for another

Hi,

I booked a Standard award for another person and he wants to change return from 7/5 (3:30pm) to Monday 7/6, around same time.

How do I make change - can I do it online at United.com or must I phone? I see on the ual FAQ that there is a $50 fee. Any other fee?

Also the Monday 3:30 flight has only e+ seats available - nothing in Economy. If I book the Monday 3:30 flight, I can't book a free seat in Y. What happens to Pax when he gets to airport and has no seat assignment?

Thanks
Michael
Old Jul 4, 2015, 4:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gaobest
... I booked a Standard award for another person and he wants to change return from 7/5 (3:30pm) to Monday 7/6, around same time.

How do I make change - can I do it online at United.com or must I phone?...
either way, no different than any other travel change

... I see on the ual FAQ that there is a $50 fee. Any other fee? ...
assuming only the time/date is changing, then the only fee is the close in booking fee (based on the status of the mileage provider)

...Also the Monday 3:30 flight has only e+ seats available - nothing in Economy. If I book the Monday 3:30 flight, I can't book a free seat in Y. What happens to Pax when he gets to airport and has no seat assignment? ...
All that matters is YN availability (using elite miles) for a Standard economy award. If no E- is available the passagner will have to wait until they arrive at the airport / maybe Gate to get a seating assignment.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks!
I forgot to mention the obvious - the Pax has already flown Outbound part of trip. So he wants to change return part of trip. Is this allowed?
Or is change allowed only if he hasn't actually flown yet?

Thanks!
Michael
Old Jul 4, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Thanks!
I forgot to mention the obvious - the Pax has already flown Outbound part of trip. So he wants to change return part of trip. Is this allowed?
Or is change allowed only if he hasn't actually flown yet?

Thanks!
Michael
Yes, change is allowed mid-trip.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you lax! I appreciate the fast answer :-)
Old Jul 8, 2015, 2:50 am

I'm a bit confused at the moment w/ United's award change fee, and I was hoping to get some clarification. I had two standard economy awards booked for my parents this August, and some I space opened on AC for their flight, so I switched them to that, and didn't have to pay the $75 change fee. However, I have a flight booked with LH this upcoming November, and when I look to switch to another flight w/ I availability, there is the $75 change fee (I'm not changing the origin or destination on any of the flights, my parents' flights and mine). Why is this the case? I don't have any status, and do have United Chase cards, if that matters...
Old Jul 8, 2015, 3:32 am

Award Itinerary

Hello,

I don't know if this is the right place to ask but I wanted to know if the following award itinerary was compliant with UA rules. When I try to book it I get an error "united.com could not find any available flights for award travel meeting your requirements". If I try to book each segment individually, there is availability.

BRU-UIO
UIO-LIM
EZE-BRU

Thanks a lot
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kthpence
I have a flight booked with LH this upcoming November, and when I look to switch to another flight w/ I availability, there is the $75 change fee (I'm not changing the origin or destination on any of the flights, my parents' flights and mine).
That's a $75 change per ticket if made more than 21 days prior to departure. Award Ticketing Fees. I can't explain why you were not charged on the prior award (unless the change was made within 24 hours of original purchase). Perhaps the agent just gave you a break. Or the system made an error. It happens.

Originally Posted by tim034
BRU-UIO
UIO-LIM
EZE-BRU
It may be legal, but you're not showing the entire routing, so no one can tell you whether it is or not. It may be subject to segment limitations.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 2:45 pm

Mixed Award Change - Now a fee?

I booked a three leg trip to Europe with the first two legs in economy and the last oversea leg in business. A couple of months ago the first leg became available in business and United had no issues to upgrade the leg to business. Now the second leg has become available in business and I am told that the $75 change fee applies.

Was I lucky the first time around or do I need to try & call again?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's a $75 change per ticket if made more than 21 days prior to departure. Award Ticketing Fees. I can't explain why you were not charged on the prior award (unless the change was made within 24 hours of original purchase). Perhaps the agent just gave you a break. Or the system made an error. It happens.

It may be legal, but you're not showing the entire routing, so no one can tell you whether it is or not. It may be subject to segment limitations.
Entire routing is (couldn't find anything better)

- BRU-VIE-MIA-PTY-UIO
- UIO-PTY-LIM(eventually -CUS)
- EZE-FRA-BRU

Sounds legal to you?

Thanks
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tim034
Entire routing is (couldn't find anything better)

- BRU-VIE-MIA-PTY-UIO
- UIO-PTY-LIM(eventually -CUS)
- EZE-FRA-BRU

Sounds legal to you?

Thanks
Well the basic structure - stopover plus open jaw at destination - is legal, but the preference will be to call LIM your destination (due to the OJ), which might be an issue because it's taking way more than four segments to get there. It's not an issue if they call UIO your destination and allow an OJ at the stopover, but that can be difficult to book.

I would call it in and hope for the best.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by michaelr
I booked a three leg trip to Europe with the first two legs in economy and the last oversea leg in business. A couple of months ago the first leg became available in business and United had no issues to upgrade the leg to business. Now the second leg has become available in business and I am told that the $75 change fee applies.

Was I lucky the first time around or do I need to try & call again?
My wife talked to a couple of different agent and was able to make the change without paying fee. It looks like that generally this is being enforced now.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:59 pm

I'm confused about whether or not the close-in booking fee is refunded if the reservation is cancelled within a day. Above someone asked:

Fee to Change/Redeposit Award Itinerary in First 24 Hours?
Is there a grace period for avoiding fees, including the above fees and the original close-in booking fee, if you cancel within 24 hours? Similar to revenue tickets, that is.
And was answered in the affirmative. then further down someone asked if the close in fee was refunded if the reservation was canceled and was told:

The close in fee is not refunded
Which is it? If I make a reservation for, say, two weeks from now and then cancel it 10 hours later, is the $75 refunded?
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:34 pm

To follow up on my question: I called in to United and asked about it, was put on hold for maybe 5-7 mins, and then was told that I would be getting a refund. From what the woman said it was highly ambiguous as to whether:
1) the refund had been issued and was just taking a while
2) She had had to put in a special request to get the refund to mollify me
3) the refund normally is given on the close-in fee, but there was a one-off error with mine.

I was glad to get the refund so didn't want to press my luck in any way, and thanks her and hung up. But just to get this issue cleared up for other people's sake, anyone know if the $75 close-in fee is supposed to get refunded?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.