Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Fees for a change or redeposit :

• There are fees for some changes and redeposit , so please check the chart below for details. These fees apply to MileagePlus® awards on United, United Express®, Star Alliance® airline partners and other airline partners.
  • When requesting a change for more than one ticket, the fee applies to each ticket separately. If two people are traveling together and make a change, for example, there will be a fee for both.
  • When flying with one of our Star Alliance partners, changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure. {but some have managed without less -- somewhat YMMV -- but the rules state 24 hours}
  • Fees are based on the status of the mileage account holder at time of request

UA's Award ticketing options/service fees

Previous thread -- General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions
Print Wikipost

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Bogus answer

BUT once a portion of an award flight has been flown, there are only limited cases in which one can get a refund of the unflown segments. So without knowing more, it is very likely there is no miles to redeposit.
This is also a good reason to book award tickets as two one ways instead of one round trip.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:36 am

Ran into the same situation in 2013. Needed to cancel a return leg from a RT US-EU award ticket, and was told that the flight could be cancelled but there would be no miles refund. Ended up making changes to the award reservation online and changed the return leg to an intra-EU destination, which resulted in the difference of miles being refunded. The now much cheaper return leg had to be discarded without a refund though.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by B747SP
Ran into the same situation in 2013. Needed to cancel a return leg from a RT US-EU award ticket, and was told that the flight could be cancelled but there would be no miles refund. Ended up making changes to the award reservation online and changed the return leg to an intra-EU destination, which resulted in the difference of miles being refunded. The now much cheaper return leg had to be discarded without a refund though.
That is very clever! ^
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
You can even change to an intra-Hawaii flight!
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:34 pm

Well in my case I was only able to select flights departing from my original destination city, so the revised reservation became a single open-jaw. I was not able to modify it into a double open-jaw.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
This is also a good reason to book award tickets as two one ways instead of one round trip.
Sometimes.

And sometimes booking two one-ways is the worst way to book an award.

Care to pay TWO $200 redeposit fees when you have to cancel?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HA Pualani
Kacee, why would you pay two $200 change fees on two one ways if you are 1K or Platinum?

I often book one ways when using award miles, as there are no downsides vs booking Round trip.

Am I missing something here? I am 1K also.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 6:50 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I had booked a Star Alliance award (one-way) from SIN-BKK-FRA-IAD. Earlier this week I was confirmed in C class on SQ from SIN-BKK then in F class from BKK-FRA on TG and F from FRA-IAD on UA.

I checked my reservation this morning and i'm missing the first segment on SQ. What recourse do I have? Is UA obligated to get that spot back since I do have an email confirmation that shows that first segment booked in I class from SIN-BKK? Any guidance here is appreciated before I do battle with the 1K line.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:08 pm

maybe a straightforward question - i have 4 reservations with 4 people attached on each (16 tix total) that I used award miles to book for a trip around the US that I may have to cancel. No premier status for me - am I seriously looking at $200 a ticket to cancel? I understand if I had a ticket or two to cancel, but on all 16 seems pretty harsh.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ttuna
maybe a straightforward question - i have 4 reservations with 4 people attached on each (16 tix total) that I used award miles to book for a trip around the US that I may have to cancel. No premier status for me - am I seriously looking at $200 a ticket to cancel? I understand if I had a ticket or two to cancel, but on all 16 seems pretty harsh.
No fee to cancel but there is a fee to redeposit the miles or a lower fee to change the booking -- the fees are per passenger.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 4:53 pm
RNE

So I'm looking at an economy saver award CAK-LHR-CAK and when I choose the outbound I see 30,000 miles + $5.60. But when I choose the return, I see 30,000 + $195.10. Why is the return fee so much higher than the outbound? These flights are all on UA metal and it's the same fee no matter where I connect: EWR, ORD, IAD. What gives?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by RNE
So I'm looking at an economy saver award CAK-LHR-CAK and when I choose the outbound I see 30,000 miles + $5.60. But when I choose the return, I see 30,000 + $195.10. Why is the return fee so much higher than the outbound? These flights are all on UA metal and it's the same fee no matter where I connect: EWR, ORD, IAD. What gives?
It is probably the LHR airport departure fee/tax.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No fee to cancel but there is a fee to redeposit the miles or a lower fee to change the booking -- the fees are per passenger.
Thanks - so just to clarify, to cancel all 16 tix I only need to pay the redeposit fee for the impacted passengers - so an $800 total fee instead of $3,200? Web site says per ticket but doesn't make it clear to me for multiple tickets per passenger.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:20 pm

I'm newly platinum and curious as to whether I made a mistake. I recently booked 2 saver economy round trip award tickets for some friends. I realize from this thread I should have booked two one ways, but now I'm concerned about whether I should also have booked them on separate itineraries/PNRs. The shipped has sailed because there is no saver inventory left, but I wanted to get advice on whether I should have booked them separately. Thanks!
Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by metermaid33
I realize from this thread I should have booked two one ways
Why? In most situations, there is no advantage, and there are often routing disadvantages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.