Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP card’s 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming year’s desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Okay so I guess no devaluation this year on the PP?
Old Jan 1, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Last year's (2016) status is valid til end of this month. If you're going to drop to Platinum it will reflect on 2/1.
I've never been a 1k. plat last year, qualified for plat this year. but some how received 1k. and online status changed between dec 31 and jan 1.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Titanium, Hertz - President's Circle
Originally Posted by brarrr
I've never been a 1k. plat last year, qualified for plat this year. but some how received 1k. and online status changed between dec 31 and jan 1.
What was your spending in 2016?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: United Premiere 1K, SW Companion, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime, Hertz Presidents Circle
landrys/mortons benefit?

Originally Posted by Boeingaaa
I've been a PPlus member for years and seemed to have missed this benefit. Do you know if we can still sign up? Or was this just back in the s-CO days?
I also never heard about this benefit and have had the card since it was CO and early on when it first became available.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by brarrr
Had this happen to me in early Jan 2013 but it seemed to be a glitch and was fixed in a day or two (not before I cleared on a transcon CPU though!). Still have a screenshot from the old app to show when I was 1k for a day.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by lensman
I think the PQD waiver is connected to the PQMs that PresidentialPlus card holders receive. It's not a benefit on it own.
That's right. The Flex PQM benefit would have much value if it not also come with a PQD waiver. Consider that someone with 75,000 Flex PQMs can become Platinum for 2+ years (i.e. transfer the flex miles on Jan 1 for that program year, and you'd be Platinum for 25 months) without flying a single revenue UA flight. That's the extreme case, but it is permitted as the program was presented to the existing cardholders. If they enforced the PQD requirement, then the flex miles would have value only to those that met the PQD but not PQM threshold for the level they want to get, which would be a much smaller group of people.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Interestingly today, the language regarding the PQD waiver disappeared from the "Important Information about Your Account" link.

That doesn't seem good.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:45 pm

Looks like changes are coming .
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lensman
I think the PQD waiver is connected to the PQMs that PresidentialPlus card holders receive. It's not a benefit on it own.

Still, it is nice and I am sympathetic to one's desire to have it as a benefit.

Note that the PQD waiver does not apply to the 1K level, just as the PP PQM doesn't count towards 1K qualification.
I am well aware that the waiver doesn't apply to 1K, but thanks for pointing it out to those who may not be aware. But if the club card had the same waiver I might have done a mileage run for the last 38xx miles to get Platinum and might have stuck with UA. As it is I will be Gold on UA, earned and Million Miler, and am switching to Alaska Airlines with my status match to their top tier, MVPG75K. So after 19 years of being extremely loyal to UA, only flying someone else if UA did not go there, I am switching. My first 2 flights on Alaska in November were very nice. One got upgraded free and the other received benefits in coach in my exit row seat.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by UAzip
Interestingly today, the language regarding the PQD waiver disappeared from the "Important Information about Your Account" link.

That doesn't seem good.
It seems that the text is back.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by gusd
More than that, now it states Presidential Plus PQD waiver: eligible on account summary page
Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
FWIW this verbiage is still on the United.com website:

"In 2016, the PQD requirement for Premier Silver, Premier Gold and Premier Platinum qualification is waived for primary United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card members whose accounts are open and not in default. There is no PQD waiver for Premier 1K qualification.

Please note that the Presidential Plus card is no longer available to new applicants."

Let's hope 2017 as well.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by gusd
the disappearing and reappearing is weird....Why mess with it at all? Hopefully just one-off weirdness.
It would be nice if they would update the regular Web site with 2017 info. It stillhas 2016 info posted.
​​
Old Jan 7, 2017, 8:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Well still can't go 1k. I've already put my FPQM to plat.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:05 am

The PQD waiver is now stated on mystatus.united.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.