Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Old Jan 6, 15, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP cards 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming years desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesnt apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesnt apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Old Mar 23, 16, 4:58 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by manneca View Post
It doesn't make sense to me that UA would end the card.
What doesn't make sense is keeping the card without its signature benefit: FPQMs. If that feature goes, so goes the card. Plus, without being able to signup new cardholders, the card has a de facto dwindling user base. It's gotta die; it's just a matter of when.
Old Mar 23, 16, 8:58 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-ber-elite status
Originally Posted by RNE View Post
What doesn't make sense is keeping the card without its signature benefit: FPQMs. If that feature goes, so goes the card. Plus, without being able to signup new cardholders, the card has a de facto dwindling user base. It's gotta die; it's just a matter of when.
Plus Chase has been on a mission to replace MC's w/ Visa. Wouldn't at all surprise me if they tried to shift holders of this card over to the UC Visa at some point.

Having benefited from the Flex PQMs, I'd be sorry to see that benefit go. I'm assuming they'll let us keep and use the ones we already accrued until they expire.
Old Mar 24, 16, 2:04 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by stanj View Post
Plus Chase has been on a mission to replace MC's w/ Visa. Wouldn't at all surprise me if they tried to shift holders of this card over to the UC Visa at some point.
I have the PP on a Visa now...does that change anything?
Old Mar 24, 16, 7:17 am

I agree that what is being discussed is probably not the end of the Flex PQMs but the end of the card itself, either directly (Chase migrates everybody to a new or existing card) or indirectly (chase cancels FPQMs and maybe introduces some weak replacement bonus but anyway there is an exodus from the card).
Old Mar 26, 16, 12:39 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-ber-elite status
Just got a survey from United focusing on MP credit cards.

While it didn't specifically name the PP card, the questions clearly were geared towards the perks of that card. One part of the survey asked how much we value the various benefits of the card (including the Flex PQM benefit).

Another part asked to evaluate other perks that are not part of the current benefits--eg, 10K bonus miles after $15K annual spend, 25K bonus miles after $30K annual spend (not sure if I'm remembering the exact numbers, but that's the gist).

Sounds like they're definitely re-evaluating the PP perks. I'm hoping that if enough people get the survey and tell them how much we value the FPQMs they may reconsider ditching that benefit.
Old Mar 26, 16, 2:46 am

is there any other way to earn flex pqm's besides the PP and other legacy cards?
Old Mar 26, 16, 11:04 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by be001 View Post
is there any other way to earn flex pqm's besides the PP and other legacy cards?
FPQMs is only PresPlus, a few pmUA legacy cards earn PQMs -- none of these cards are available to new customers.

Flying is the only other way to earn PQMs -- there are fare class bonuses and occasional UA flight promos.
Old Mar 26, 16, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
FPQMs is only PresPlus, a few pmUA legacy cards earn PQMs -- none of these cards are available to new customers.

Flying is the only other way to earn PQMs -- there are fare class bonuses and occasional UA flight promos.
One can also buy PQMs from the Accelerator offer on a ticket; whether that is a good deal or a bad one depends on which intern has entered the prices of the day, your status, how far short you will fall, and so on.
Old Apr 9, 16, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Pleasantly surprised that my annual fee hit for $375 as always, grandfathered from when I first opened it.

That can't last forever. Club memberships run much more than that these days, and the Club credit card is $450.
Old Apr 9, 16, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by UAzip View Post
Pleasantly surprised that my annual fee hit for $375 as always, grandfathered from when I first opened it.

That can't last forever. Club memberships run much more than that these days, and the Club credit card is $450.
Why can't it? Some people are grandfathered from the $325 fee.
Old Apr 9, 16, 5:15 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by manneca View Post
It doesn't make sense to me that UA would end the card.
They already ended it years ago. You can't sign up anymore. If UA thought that the money from Chase was worth the PQMs, they'd still offer it.

It's a grandfathered card - the question is not if the benefit will get cut, but when. If they keep it grandfathered for five years after ceasing to offer it, I'd consider that a good run.

Last edited by goalie; Apr 9, 16 at 6:03 pm Reason: please quote the member's name when quoting their post
Old Apr 11, 16, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by edcho View Post
Why can't it? Some people are grandfathered from the $325 fee.
Which annoys me to some respect. I had signed up for the card when it was first introduced, and although the $350 annual fee was nice, the step up to $375 seemed silly. I'll happily keep the lower fee at this point.
Old Apr 16, 16, 1:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
What annoys me the most was I Signed up for the personal version. Had I signed up for the business version I would get 2x on dining.

Yes I already have the sapphire preferred now but previously I didn't and one extra card can get annoying imo.

Thanks to the freedom unlimited 1.5x the club card is now no use to me.
Old Apr 16, 16, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TennisNoob View Post
What annoys me the most was I Signed up for the personal version. Had I signed up for the business version I would get 2x on dining.

Yes I already have the sapphire preferred now but previously I didn't and one extra card can get annoying imo.

Thanks to the freedom unlimited 1.5x the club card is now no use to me.
I am curious, why did you have the club card if not to get into the club? I have it as is MUCH cheaper than buying a club membership and the extra miles are a bonus on top of that when I use it.
Old Apr 16, 16, 3:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Baze View Post
I am curious, why did you have the club card if not to get into the club? I have it as is MUCH cheaper than buying a club membership and the extra miles are a bonus on top of that when I use it.
I got the club card to get 1.5x per dollar spent. PP card only gives 1x.

Based out of Houston I do need UA miles unfortunately.

Search this Thread